Search Unity

Daydream and LWRP Support

Discussion in 'Daydream' started by lord_ungrateful, Mar 28, 2018.

1. lord_ungrateful

lord_ungrateful

Hi all!

I've been experimenting with Daydream and the Lightweight Render Pipeline, and have had no success.

Running LWRP 1.1.2-preview, with Unity 2018.1b12, on a Google Pixel 1, and the GVR plugin, results in all LW materials failing to render entirely- showing only the skybox material. This is with the provided sample scene.

The only issue that gets spit out into the console is:
    Assertion failed: OPENGL NATIVE PLUG-IN ERROR: GL_INVALID_OPERATION: Operation illegal in current state
    I understand SRP is still a work in progress, but I'm curious if this is a common or known issue, If I'm doing something wrong, or if support is even planned!

Daydream Renderer supports me just fine, but ideally would like to switch to something a little more native if possible.

2. Shane_Michael

Shane_Michael

I was trying the LWRP with both Daydream and Gear VR, and couldn't get it working. I was getting that same error. Seems to work with a non-VR app, but mobile VR just doesn't seem to be supported yet. It will come eventually, but for now using the Daydream Renderer with Unity's built-in pipeline is probably the way to go.

lord_ungrateful likes this.
  3. lord_ungrateful

lord_ungrateful

4. WendelinReich

WendelinReich

Hi there - still doesnt work, just tried it with the latest beta (2018.2.0f1), using the LWRP template (also tried the VR-LWRP template), using 'medium' preset, and a plain vanilla scene with skybox and simple cube. Crashes on both Daydream and Gear VR (well, on Gear VR it doesnt technically crash but seems to revert to non-stereoscopic rendering).

Neither platform choice results in any error message btw, it just crashes or doesnt work as mentioned.

Is anyone working on fixing this?

5. BrandonFogerty

BrandonFogerty

@WendelinReich,

What version of the LWRP did you use when running on the GearVR? Can you try the latest version, 1.1.11, and verify if it still crashes for you? Thank you!

6. WendelinReich

WendelinReich

Hi @BrandonFogerty, so I found a configuration which works on both Daydream and GearVR!

- latest LWRP version 2.0.5
    - basic scene with just skybox and a cube
    - most importantly, set stereo rendering method to Single Pass on both platforms. Multi Pass results in black screen.
    - tested with Galaxy S6 and Pixel XL

The only obvious thing that doesnt work is anti-aliasing (both in the editor and the devices). Is that being fixed? Without AA, VR is unusable ...

7. WendelinReich

WendelinReich

OK, apparently MSAA is coming in 2018.3:

"Basic LWRP is currently supported on all VR platforms, however, it will not support Multisample anti-aliasing (MSAA) until 2018.3."

8. mebalzer

mebalzer

Have you worked with it further? I had similar results with version 2.05 working in 'Single' mode with no real-time lights. I know they work in Daydream because I attached one to the camera to act as a flashlight in a Daydream app I have. Also, upgrading the 3.0 only shows up with one eye being a light grey color, with no discerning movement beneath it when turning your head. The other eye is black. No other options or parameters were changed.

9. rob_ice

rob_ice

Any update on MSAA support?