Search Unity

DaW (Direct-a-Wave) - Unity3D's Enemy Wave Spawning System[50% OFF UNITY MEGA SALE]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by crafTDev, Apr 4, 2013.

1. crafTDev

crafTDev

Check out the NEW Official Website and Forum!
    PRICE-$10 ON SALE!

DaW (Direct-a-Wave) is an Enemy Wave Spawning system used to setup and have direct control over how you want enemy waves to play. DaW comes packed with a lot of features to make enemy wave setup quick and easy.

Features:
    • Brand New Inspector UI
    • PlayMaker Support
    • Fully Rewritten in C#
    • PoolManager Support
    • Pre-Pools your enemy prefabs with the custom pooling system - Built with mobile in mind!
    • Use 2 different Wave Modes (Eliminate and Timed)
    • Use Wave Types (Randomized and Linear) that control how your enemies spawn out
    • Control when and where your pools spawn with the Simple API
    • Create Spawn Types (Random and Static) that provide direct control of where and what types of enemies spawn at a specific spawn point
    • Manage all your spawn points complete through the Editor
    • The Pool Weighting system gives the ability to spawn the enemy based on weights (percentage)
    • Do this ALL from ONE Inspector Panel!
    • Full Source Code!
    Planned/Upcoming Features:
    • Follow Development Features on Trello
    • ANY 3rd PARTY ASSET YOU WANT TO BE SUPPORTED! LET ME KNOW, I WILL TRY TO ACCOMMODATE REQUESTS WITHIN REASON!
    • ANY questions feel free to contact me at eturgott.jrdevarts@gmail dot com, I will try my best to help any problems and get back to you as soon as I can.
    • ALSO, you can contact me on Skype. PM or email me asking for Skype name with your Skype name to confirm.
    Video Overview v2.0:

CLICK FOR DaW TUTORIAL VIDEOS PLAYLIST

Documentation NOTE: This PDF Documentation is currently only for v1.1. It is missing some updated features. Working on updating this file, so use the online docs below.

Version History:
    Version 2.1.1rc 8/28/19
    -Added AutoPlayModeSetup tool to JrDevArts Utilities folder; use this to set the scene to default play from when Play mode is entered. Find in Window/JrDevAssets/Tools/Set As First Scene
    -Updated for Unity 2019.2 Compatibility
    -Updated JrDevArts_Utilities to Version 31
    -New UI and features coming in 2019

Version 2.1.1 3/5/19
    -Unity version 2018.3.12f1
    -Removed unnecessary images from Resource folder
    -New UI and features coming in 2019 -Other small bugs and fixes

Version 2.1 7/12/16
    -Added options button to go to online documentation or email for support
    -Added new API call SetSpawnPointAvailability which will override spawn points being available giving you control on when to use
    -Added events to signal when object has been spawned or despawned. These are OnSpawnByDaW and OnDeSpawnByDaW

Version 2.0 4/17/15
    -Added All-New UI
    -Added all new code rewritten in C#
    -Added Playmaker support
    -Added a percentage label to the Enemy Slots of a Wave to show the percent of spawning based on the weight
    -Added a switch to allow you to set the next wave to start after the current wave is finished, otherwise will continue to go down the list of waves if not set as a triggered wave
    -Added Hierarchy GUIs to spawn points to show when they are available for spawning and when not (green and red dots)
    -Added context dragging for custom Int and Float fields; place cursor on either side of the field to see the dragging arrow to increase/decrease value
    -Added Menu item to Create DaW Manager; can be accessed by GameObject Menu or right clicking in hierarchy window
    -Added native Undo support
    -Changed the DaW Setup prefab to be the DaW Manager
    -Changed the DaW scripts to be more compact, combined and cleaned up code
    -Changed the Static Spawn Point and Enemy Slot object fields to now accept scene files in addition to asset files
    -Changed the way spawn points are used so now they can only be used to spawn if they are available; this gives control using the spawn rate to help prevent objects from overlapping when spawned
    -Changed the way to check if Wave is completed. Now HasWaveCompleted() can be called instead
    -Fixed a bug where clicking Purge only removes the Spawn Points list but not the corresponding game objects in the hierarchy scene
    -Other small bugs and fixes

Version 1.1 5/14/13
    -PoolManager Support is here!
    -Changed timer in the Timing Wave mode from still counting when less than zero
    -Made the DaW gizmo automatically add itself to be used for seeing all spawn points
    -Made a few changes to the DaW prefab, nice and clean
    -Fixed a bug where max pool total can go below the total amount of enemy prefabs to spawn.
    -Made a change where you can't add more max enemies than the wave limit
    -Spawn pool (non pool manager) now adds a number to prefab instance names
    -Other small bug fixes

Version 1.0.2 4/14/13
    - Wave Type Linear had a bug that didn't work when spawn amount was more than 1.

Version 1.0.1 4/13/13
    - Spawn amount was not spawning the proper amounts of enemies per second
    - Added "Completed" string to Wave Status

Let me know what you think. Any suggestions or feature requests are welcomed! :)

Thanks,
    jrDev

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  2. crafTDev

crafTDev

This is just an update that I have finished the documentation and bug testing and will be doing to promotional stuff next. Then I will be able to update first post.

jrDev

3. crafTDev

crafTDev

So I ended up finding more bugs and I squashed them. I will put up documentation in the next hour or 2. Still have the demo video and store art to work on today.

4. crafTDev

crafTDev

Sorry for the delay, there is always something that gets in the way of timely updates.

Here is the QuickStart Guide. Goes over the ins and outs of DaW. DaW will be sent to Unity in just a few more hours too.

5. crafTDev

crafTDev

DaW is being sent to Unity Today! The first post is updated with promo materials and I am currently working on a demo video. Will upload later!

jrDev

6. crafTDev

crafTDev

OP updated with video demo of DaW. Check it out. Excuse my slight cold and computer fan :p

jrDev

7. crafTDev

crafTDev

Though DaW is not on Asset Store yet, do you guys find what DaW does interesting from the videos? Let me know :)

jrDev

8. crafTDev

crafTDev

Sent in 2 hot fixes for bugs I found:

Version 1.0.1
    - Spawn amount was not spawning the proper amounts of enemies per second
    - Added "Completed" string to Wave Status

Version 1.0.2
    - Wave Type Linear had a bug that didn't work when spawn amount was more than 1.

I've made these hot fixes before the video was done and decided to post them now since DaW might hit asset store tomorrow.

Thanks,

jrDev

9. crafTDev

crafTDev

DaW has launched! 25% Intro Sale! Watch the videos, try it out. Let me know what you think! :)

10. crafTDev

crafTDev

The sale is only for one week! So check it out and let me know what you think! :)

jrDev

11. crafTDev

crafTDev

Sale is on for a few more days. End of sale will spring a new update.

12. crafTDev

crafTDev

New update will be sent today which adds PoolManager support and a few more features. Grab before price goes back to $20!

13. crafTDev

crafTDev

I've actually decided to extend the sale till the end of the week. So price goes up to normal $20 next week. Take advantage. Comments welcomed!

jrDev

14. crafTDev

crafTDev

Thanks to my purchasers. Kindly leave a review on the asset store.

jrDev

15. crafTDev

crafTDev

Ok guys, grab DaW while its still on sale. New version 1.1 was sent for approval to Unity. The price goes back to regular $20.

Version 1.1 comes with a slew a new features and fixes:

-PoolManager support is here! Those familiar with PoolManager can use PoolManagers Despawn call and prepooling benefits. It's pretty cool!
    -Changed Timer in Time Wavetype to only play when timer is greater than 0.
    -Added numbers to each pooled prefabs names for easy gameobject uniqueness.
    -Other small features and fixes I'll post about when update lands on store

So grab while still on sale! I would still like to here feedback, even from those who haven't purchased. Are you interested in specific feature that you don't see? Let me know.

Thanks Unity Community,

jrDev

16. crafTDev

crafTDev

Unity is slow to hit the update trigger, so grab DaW on discount until they do.

jrDev

17. crafTDev

crafTDev

And just like that, the update goes live!

Version 1.1
    -PoolManager Support is here!
    -Changed timer in the Timing Wave mode from still counting when less than zero
    -Made the DaW gizmo automatically add it self to be used for seeing all spawn points
    -Made a few changes to the DaW prefab, nice and clean
    -Fixed a bug where max pool total can go below the total amount of enemy prefabs to spawn.
    -Made a change where you can't add more max enemies than the wave limit
    -Spawn pool (non pool manager) now adds a number to prefab instance names
    -Other small bug fixes

18. crafTDev

crafTDev

So how are DaW users enjoying(not enjoying?) the features of DaW? Let me know. Please leave a review.

Thanks.

jrDev

19. DiNoGames

DiNoGames

Hi,
    I just bought your DaW asset and I can't really use it because as soon as I put the DaW prefab in my scene everything slows down as hell. Sometimes I have to wait for 5 seconds until my computer continues reacting to input. I use Unity 5. Any tipps from your side?
    Greetings,
    Dirk

20. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hello,

Thanks for purchasing DaW. I apologize for your problems but DaW hasn't been updated for use with Unity5 yet. I will take a look at it and see what the problem is and also make an update for Unity5 compatibility. Give me a few hours.

Thanks,
    jrDev

21. DiNoGames

DiNoGames

Hi jrDev,
    thank you for caring about the problem.
    The speed issue only occurs when the DaW object is selected and when you try to edit the waves, which is almost impossible due to the lag.
    Another question: Is it possible that once it runs to use more than one DaW instance at once in a scene or will they collide? I can't really test it myself due to the speed issues at the Moment cause it's impossible to edit the waves.
    Btw, I am running Unity 5 Professional Version on Windows 8.1 on a Surface Pro 3 with an Intel i7 on 8 GB of RAM if that helps.
    I know how hard it is to maintain code for future versions, especially when you are already working on something completely different.
    Greetings and thanks for your fast response.
    Dirk

22. DiNoGames

DiNoGames

Hi jrDev,

I think I found the problem. It's this line of code in SpawnPointUpdates which is copying the asset over and over again:
    //Copy DaW gizmo to the assets gizmos folder
    AssetDatabase.CopyAsset ("Assets/Direct-a-Wave/Gizmos/DaW Gizmo.png", "Assets/Gizmos/DaW Gizmo.png");

When I comment this line out, the DaW Setup reacts as intended.

Greetings,
    Dirk!

23. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey Dirk,

Thanks for reporting this! I am actually trying to do a rewrite of the whole system that I am going to try and finish this week and submit. Get it all updated with the times since when I made this it was in my earlier years of programming and I have learned some new tricks ;-). Look forward to more updates.

Thanks,
    jrDev

24. DiNoGames

DiNoGames

Hi jrDev,

that sounds great. I am looking forward to test the new version out :) Will there also be a C# version or do you stick to UnityScript? If so, no problem. I am just curious cause I am not able to adopt your code to my needs , for example adding a path to my enemies when spawning them. All my classes are written in C# and so I can't refer to them from within your code. At least I don't know how :) I am still learning the bits of Unity.
    Anyway, I am currently solving this by providing prefabs for all the different settings I need. Not the most efficient way for sure, but it work atm...

25. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hello dino,

Actually I am rewriting the whole thing in C# just FYI :)

Thanks,
    jrDev

26. DiNoGames

DiNoGames

Yay! This is great news... I knew it was a good idea to buy this thing :)

27. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey dino,

I have news for you, the DaW update is almost complete, it will be by tomorrow, just email me your invoice and I will send you the updated version early.

Thanks,
    jrDev

28. DiNoGames

DiNoGames

I sent an email to the address from your blog. Hope you got it!
    Greetings,
    Dirk

29. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey dirk,

Yes I just read my emails and saw it. I will send you the update tonite when I get home. Look forward to a greatly improved UI and some extra features I will discuss later.

Thanks,
    jrDev

30. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey guys,

Just wanted you to know the brand new version 2.0 of DaW has been submitted to Asset Store. This release will launch a few new things like it's availability also on Sellfy which I will put up when ready and also the move to an official webpage for documentation and tutorial videos. Also I will be redoing the OP of this thread soon. Look forward to more.

Thanks,
    jrDev

31. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey guys, just wanted you to know that the new version 2.0 of DaW has launched with a big update. It's also on sale for this launch for a limited time so jump in on the sale. Here are the version notes:

Version 2.0 4/17/15
    -Added All-New UI
    -Added all new code rewritten in C#
    -Added Playmaker support
    -Added a percentage label to the Enemy Slots of a Wave to show the percent of spawning based on the weight
    -Added a switch to allow you to set the next wave to start after the current wave is finished, otherwise will continue to go down the list of waves if not set as a triggered wave
    -Added Hierarchy GUIs to spawn points to show when they are available for spawning and when not (green and red dots)
    -Added context dragging for custom Int and Float fields; place cursor on either side of the field to see the dragging arrow to increase/decrease value
    -Added Menu item to Create DaW Manager; can be accessed by GameObject Menu or right clicking in hierarchy window
    -Added native Undo support
    -Changed the DaW Setup prefab to be the DaW Manager
    -Changed the DaW scripts to be more compact, combined and cleaned up code
    -Changed the Static Spawn Point and Enemy Slot object fields to now accept scene files in addition to asset files
    -Changed the way spawn points are used so now they can only be used to spawn if they are available; this gives control using the spawn rate to help prevent objects from overlapping when spawned
    -Changed the way to check if Wave is completed. Now HasWaveCompleted() can be called instead
    -Fixed a bug where clicking Purge only removes the Spawn Points list but not the corresponding game objects in the hierarchy scene
    -Other small bugs and fixes

Hope this update is great for everyone.

Thanks,
    jrDev

32. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey guys,

Here is an awesome promo I am doing for the launch of DaW on Sellfy Marketplace. If you click the Sellfy link in the OP and tweet or share, you can get it for FREE until midnight EST today! If you like free stuff, no point in waiting!

BTW you will also get new updates for FREE too! :)

Thanks,
    jrDev

33. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey guys,

Don't miss out on the free copy!

Thanks,
    jrDev

34. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey guys,

Only 2 more hours before FREE promo ends!

Thanks,
    jrDev

35. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey guys,

Just want to welcome the new users that got in on the promo and let others know the sale is still on.

Thanks,
    jrDev

36. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey,

Just wanted to jump in a tell you guys this is the last weekend for the sale so grab a copy to save.

Thanks,
    jrDev

37. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey guys,

Sale is over! Thanks to those who participated in the sale! Look forward to more feature updates coming shortly!

Thanks,
    jrDev

38. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

Hi! I just started using this assets yesterday so I'm still getting used to it. It's really easy to use, however I can't seem to get the 1st wave to move to the 2nd wave.

I've tried eliminate mode and I've tried time limit... but the wave state just remains in "Enabled" even after the count-down reaches zero.

Also the compiler is saying DaW.Despawner is unknown. So I can't call that API method. And when I went to your API page on your website.. it shows a page missing error.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
  39. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

I also noticed when a wave mode is set to time ... the wave still doesn't set itself as completed until all enemies are killed.

40. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey PyroStudios, sorry about any errors you are having, can you send me an email to eturgott.jrdevarts at gmail dot com and I'll continue helping from there.
    That is intentional. I can add an option that ends the wave immediately.

Also, I haven't made it official yet, but I offer free support through Skype if anyone needs, we would just have to schedule a time.

PS: I would just like to say that I appreciate all the customers that use DaW and I know it might feel like I am abandoning the project, I would like to assure you that I am not. GAC, my other asset gets a lot more support emails and I am hard at work to finish the next version then I will move on to update DaW after. I apologize for any inconvenience; if anyone needs support just reach out to me and I'll help as best as I can.

Thanks,
    jrDev

41. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey guys,

All of JrDevarts assets are on sale this weekend for 50% off, including DaW. So check out the sales if interested!
    http://bit.ly/JrDevartsAssetStore

Thanks,
    jrDev

42. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey guys,

A reminder to stretch those dollars with the JrDevarts Independence Weekend sale 50% all assets! Ends Soon! AssetStore

Thanks,
    jrDev

43. Dionysos1111

Dionysos1111

Hi,

is there any possibility to increase the enemies health, speed and damage with each wave? i want to use it for my zombie defense game but this feature is crucial to my game

44. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hello,

DaW has an API call to check the completion of a wave.

DaW.HasWaveCompleted(wavenumber)

For example:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. //Increase the fire enemy health to 300 at wave level 3.
    2. if(DaW.HasWaveCompleted(3){
    4.        fireEnemyHealth = 300;
    6. }
    Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Thanks,
    jrDev

45. Dionysos1111

Dionysos1111

Thanks for your quick response.

Maybe good to say that i'm also using UFPS and ICE creature control.

I will buy the asset and test it ^^

46. Dionysos1111

Dionysos1111

Hello,

So i've bought the asset and i have setup a wave with a creature.
    The creature uses ice creature control for behavior and movement, and ufps for damage.

When i try to kill the creature from the wave spawner it uses his "die" animation but it won't destroy it, when i use the same creature prefab directly in the scene i can kill it and it gets destroyed from the hierarchy.

In other words, i can't move on to wave 2 because the creature won't destroy itself from the hierarchy after i kill it.

47. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey,

Are you using DeSpawner API?

Thanks,
    jrDev

48. Dionysos1111

Dionysos1111

I have not used this yet, i just read in the manual it is crucial.

So where should i write this line of code then:

DaW.Despawner(The object);

49. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey,

Right after you kill the object. The Readme that comes in the package is not updated. There is new online documentation on website.

Thanks,
    jrDev

50. Dionysos1111

Dionysos1111

I'm sorry i'm a beginner in programming, could you write me a basic C# script that can be attached to my creature prefab and will handle this notification.