Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Database Control (Free) [Released]

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by SolutionStudios, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Daegit

Daegit

Hello, thanks for sharing this for free!

Its something you didn't find much Informations about.

But , in my opinion it is not necessary to put the code in an .ddl. Also it would be nice to include the PHP files or at least an Template file , are the files included in the pro version?

2. SolutionStudios

SolutionStudios

Hi Daegit,

We have a couple of reasons to keep the code in the .dll which I won't explain here.

I don't think there would be any useability benefit in taking the code out of the .dll. If you really wanted to work out exactly what the code was doing you could easily achieve this by using the right tools. For now we'll keep the code in the .dll but if you have anything specific you like us to change (e.g. handling requests in a different way) please let us know.

There are a few reasons why we don't do this:
    1. Our server side code is not just a simple login/register system as you would expect. We have to handle lots of Unity developers each with their own login/register system. If we provided you with this code it would probably just confuse you.
    2. If we did include all the server side code, someone could easily create a competing product by putting it on their server and providing login/register systems to other Unity developers. There would probably be a few who even tried making money from it.
    3. There are a large number of server backend (PHP, Python, ASP.NET, Node.js, Golang, ... etc) and database environments out there (MySQL, SQL Server, MongoDb, PostgreSQL, Redis, ... etc). Providing the source code which uses just one of these combinations would only help a small number of people.
    4. The environment we use for backend just makes the code even more confusing. I expect there are very few people in the world who use a setup like ours. It's definitley not just PHP and MySQL

For the same reasons as above, no.
    Database Control Pro has a much wider set of features and supports much more than accounts systems. This is how it differs to the free version. But Database Control Pro does not include server-side source, and some of the code remains within a .dll.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  3. JomarDev

JomarDev

Hello, does it work on iOS as well?

Thanks!

4. SolutionStudios

SolutionStudios

@JomarDev - We haven't tested it on iOS ourselves, but yes it should work.

5. megatron0

megatron0

hello, can i migrate from free to pro without data loss?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  6. SolutionStudios

SolutionStudios

@megatron0 - Sorry it has taken us a while to reply. We must have missed your post

No, I'm afraid it's not possible to migrate data from Free to Pro. They use different systems and we haven't built a migration tool.

7. megatron0

megatron0

ok nvm i will buy the pro soon anyway

8. The_Stick_CH

The_Stick_CH

The Asset doesnt work for me :(

9. yaoshenz

yaoshenz

I couldn't create a database

10. KimDaeEon

KimDaeEon

I saw brackeys and downloaded your DCF and import it my project, and after a while loading this window appears.
    What should I do to fix this?

1. What version of Unity are you using? -> My unity version is 2019.2.0f1.

2. Have you moved any of the Database Control (Free) files/folders around? If you have then try putting them back. You should have following folders in your project:
    Assets/Database Control Free
    Assets/Editor Default Resources/Database Control Free
    -> I haven't moved these, and these are on right place.

3. Does Database Control (Free) work in an empty project? -> It also doesn't work in an new empty project.

4. What platform do you have the Unity Editor set to build to? -> Default(window setting)

I would be really glad if you let me know.

Thank you for reading and good solution!

11. onoonugroho

onoonugroho

Hello,

I just start download Database Control Free and try to create a database.
    But when I start it with the window, the widow cannot created it and just say there is an error.
    Can you help me is there other way to create a new database with DFC?

12. I-is-smart-now

I-is-smart-now

I am doing this exact video and got all the way to this episode. When I try to import the Database Control (Free), I get an "unexpected error" I am on Windows 10. Any advice on how to get this to work? I am willing to pay for the Pro version if necessary. I am 12 years old and LOVE Unity and Brackeyes and really want to get this video working. Thanks for any help.

13. I-is-smart-now

I-is-smart-now

I am doing the Brackeys video of How to Make a Multiplayer FPS in Unity and got all the way to Episode 23 and I can't get the DCF to work. I get an "Unexpected error occurred" (see file of screenshot). I am using the exact same version that Brackeyes is using which is Unity 5.6.0f3 and Windows 10. I am only 12 years old and LOVE Unity and really want to get this game to work. I read the other comments and I did not move any of the data files/folders around, it does not work work in an empty project. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

14. Ahmet_Dem

Ahmet_Dem

I am having the same problem as @I-is-smart-now and want it fixed! Please fix it soon and RESPOND to this!

15. zivlahav

zivlahav

can i still use it ?(free )

16. SolutionStudios

SolutionStudios

@The_Stick_CH @yaoshenz @KimDaeEon @onoonugroho @I-is-smart-now @Ahmet_Dem @zivlahav

I believe you were all experiencing the same issue. It has now been fixed.

It was a server-side issue as our databases reached max capacity. It only effected new users trying to create a database. We hope you will consider trying Database Control (Free) again. If you still have it installed in your project, it should just work. No update is required. I'm sure you'll be impressed when you see it working in full.

Sorry about the late reply, we have received a huge number of support requests of the past few months and were unable to respond to all of them. Since DCF is a free asset, your messages were the ones that slipped through the net. Our support has now returned to our usual high level, and we aim to respond to all requests within 3 days.

17. axossk

axossk

"- Doesn’t include any encryption or ssl. Data is not completely secure."

Does it means that user credentials are not safe when login?

/Edit: Does the pro version offer a data encryption solution? (so I don't have to do it within unity as it's not really safe)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  18. SolutionStudios

SolutionStudios

@axossk It means that if someone were to listen in on communication between the device running the game, and our server (a man-in-the-middle) then they would be able to see the username and password being sent in plaintext.

Whether this is 'safe' really depends on the content of your game/app. For an small free online game, the threat of an attacker obtaining a user's password and logging into their account, might not be a 'big deal'. Because it is unlikely to occur and even if it did, an attacker would gain nothing more than someone's game save data (which is not sensitive personal data). Note: in this case it would be good practice to tell your users to pick a unique password (that they don't use for any other services).

However, if you are storing sensitive personal data (e.g. names, addresses, location data, or anything which may relate to money in the real world), by using DCF you are taking on a much higher risk. Database Control Pro (DCP) does use TLS/SSL for all communications, which would protect all data in transit (a man-in-the-middle would just see random junk and wouldn't be able to decrypt it). So if this is a concern, you might want to consider purchasing DCP.