Search Unity

Data visualization from JSON

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by eco_bach, Oct 9, 2019.

1. eco_bach

eco_bach

Has anyone done any live data visualization using JSON as a source? I've broken the project down into 3 steps

1 create the live connection

2 parse the data

3 visualize the data

Has anyone attempted anything similar using Unity? Which assets or 3rd party frameworks did you use, if any?

2. lordofduct

lordofduct

What kind of data?

What do you mean by "live connection"?

What sort of visualization do you want to create?

Have I used json that translates to visuals in my games using Unity? Yes, of course I have. json is how I serialize my save tokens which translates to visual information when loaded. But I don't think that's exactly what you mean...

3. eco_bach

eco_bach

Am supplied with a limited custom JSON data feed but am proposing we use an open source feed with historical data like https://openweathermap.org/history

I need to be constantly updating the application in realtime from the supplied data feed. I am exploring web socket connections but was wondering if there is another option.

In terms of visualization I am working with weather data but need to creatively interpret the temperature, rain, forecast trends beyond simple bar charts or line graphs. This is probably the biggest hurdle for me and is more of a creative challenge than anything.

4. lordofduct

lordofduct

You've basically just cracked the door to show a sliver of what is a mansion filled with information.

How do you expect us to have anything to say about what you are looking to do if you don't actually describe what it is you're trying to do? Vaguely talking about data feeds, socket connections, and visualizing weather data in manners other than graphs/charts.

I'll give you an example:

I'm collecting data through the weather.com api that gives me historic temp/rain/etc trends in this format:
    *insert example of the json stream as well as a link to the API you're using and its documentation if any exists. If you don't know this information, ask for it.*

This data is updated on an interval of N seconds.

I want to visualize this data in Unity so that it looks like a landscape with sky and that I render said landscape based on that information. So like if it's rainy, there's rain clouds. And if it's cold, there's ice/snow. If it's foggy, we render some mist.

What do you think I would need to accomplish this?

[edit] It appears you've modified your previous post to reflect more information. You didn't have the link there when I first read it. Just if anyone is wondering why my post sort of contradicts said post.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  5. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

For starters, just do Step 3 for now. Start with a text field, enter some JSON, and do your processing on a button click. Go from there.

lordofduct likes this.