Search Unity

Data science

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by belal, Aug 22, 2019.

1. belal

belal

Hi everyone, I been trying to expand my skills toward data science but the more I try to figure out what to do in it the more complex it becomes. Does anyone know what a game developer can do in data science field? if anyone has projects in data science I will be more than happy to work on them for free. Need to gain experience as much as possible.

Let me know your thoughts, thanks!

P.S I have close to 6 years of programming experience and a degree in software engineering.

2. Antypodish

Antypodish

For data science, whatever you exactly mean, you will use different tools than Unity. For example matlab, which is designed to compute large sets of data and represent them in meaningful and graphical forms.

You don't need game engine for that. Is more like sugar on the top, to visualize things. However, DOTS may shift this statement a bit.

Other than that, if you work with large data, you are need probably write some algorithm, which process them in meaningful way. This often requires high analytical and math skills + programming in probably more than one language.

So is more thinking about data, rather GameObjects.

3. Billy4184

Billy4184

I can't really tell you what to do, but this is the first link that came up after the wiki entry:

https://towardsdatascience.com/why-so-many-data-scientists-are-leaving-their-jobs-a1f0329d7ea4

which contains this quote which I'm sure will be useful to everybody:

Now that we've cleared all that up, I think I'll leave this thread..

4. GoesTo11

GoesTo11

I bought a Udemy Data Science course that used R a while back. I totally forgot about it and haven't even started it. I did use R in my PhD for all of my statistical analysis. I used Matlab for all of my biomechanics calculations and most of my image processing. R seams better suited for Data Science since it generally relies on complex statistical modelling. It is also open source which makes it easier to run multiple instances on a supercomputer without worrying about licensing. I'm sure you could do statistical modelling in Matlab with the appropriate toolbox but that would be very expensive and not any better.