Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Data Kit – The Reimagined Data Serialization System For Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by melgeorgiou, Jun 15, 2019.

1. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi @jeromeWork ,

apologies for the late reply - you’ve caught me in the middle of moving to a new apartment and unfortunately my computer isn’t setup yet ( having to use my phone for today! ).

I’ll send you a PM shortly! :)

- Mel

2. Danirey

Danirey

Hi there! I'm following DataKit and already own Poolkit, and i love it, but i see it's been a while since the last update. Are you still supporting this asset? Thanks a lot!

3. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi @Danirey,

Firstly, thanks for purchasing PoolKit, its much appreciated! :)

I sure am! The good news is no one has reported any issues for a long time which means the asset should be in a pretty good and stable state - people usually aren't shy when something breaks! :)

I am currently working on a large MeshKit update which has been taking up much of my time lately. PoolKit has another update coming up soon after and then I'll be revisiting DataKit again for potential upgrades.

BTW: If there are any issues with any of the tools, that always takes priority! Hope that helps! :)

- Mel

Njordy and Danirey like this.
  4. Danirey

Danirey

Nice! Thanks for the info. Depr****** is the word we most fear in the asset store, so i hope you uderstand why i was asking. I'm really happy so far with your assets and i put them in the PRO category :) Keep it up and thanks again!

5. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi @Danirey,

Haha, I totally get it. Thanks for the kind words! :)

You're welcome! :)

- Mel

6. AticAtac

AticAtac

The interesting and time consuming to implement parts of loading/saving are things like how to handle scene objects which need to be saved and loaded (they could have been destroyed, so a proper load/save system need care of this). From reading the description and showing the videos i couldn't find out if DataKit will handle this.

7. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi @AticAtac

Firstly thanks for your interest in DataKit! :)

It's important to understand there is no magic sauce that can automatically understand how to save things in a complete and optimal way. Instantiated objects are also very tricky because they are usually notoriously difficult to track. In short, you will need to tell DataKit what to do but once you understand the workflow it becomes much easier and more streamlined to get all kinds of cool things to work.

The good news is DataKit provides fully documented examples of how you can deal with instantiated objects. You can play with some relevant examples on the WebGL DataKit demo - you can find that here:

DataKit - WebGL Demo

The demos you'll probably be interested in are "5: DataKit - Saving Specific Objects In A Scene" and "6: DataKit - Saving Instantiated Objects In A Scene". All of the scenes in that example are included in DataKit with fully documented code, etc.

Hope this helps! :)

- Mel

8. pixelminer

pixelminer

Hi. I'm curious, how does DataKit deal with Addressables?

9. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi @pixelminer,

Thanks for your interest in DataKit! :)

At the moment there is no direct support for Addressables in DataKit so you would currently need some custom code to bridge the gap there. However, Addressables is something I'm looking into for the future.

Hope that helps! :)

-Mel

10. pixelminer

pixelminer

Thank you for the quick reply. Having purchased DataKit already, I was quite impressed by it as I incorporated it into my current project. That got me thinking about switching my other ongoing project which relies heavily on Addressables over to DataKit as well and hence the question about Addressables support. I certainly hope to hearing more about it in the future. Thanks again!

11. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi @pixelminer,

No worries! :)

Glad you're liking DataKit so far! :)

- Mel