Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Data is missing from larger date ranges

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by Alex2539, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Alex2539

Alex2539

I've noticed that when viewing custom event data in the Data Explorer, certain possible values for string parameters don't appear at all depending on the date range selected. I have an example here where I'm recording the cause of death for the player.

Here is the chart it shows for the last five days:

If this chart is to be believed, every death was caused by the world (ie: falling down a pit). If we shrink the range to the last three days, the chart looks like this:

Suddenly we have a new death on both the 17th and the 19th, each one a suicide. Notice that the totals of the world deaths haven't changed; existing data has just been revealed. Finally, if we constrict the date range to just two days, the chart looks like this:

At first glance I thought I was finally getting correct data. Five brand new ways to die have appeared! But on closer inspection it seems I've lost the deaths by suicide which, from the previous image, we know we should have one on the 19th. If I were to restrict the data once more (which I won't bother with an image of) that suicide would come back and one more new possible death would appear.

As far as I can tell all of the data seems to exist, which means that the events and parameters are properly being sent and received. It's just not properly visible in the data explorer. If I had to guess, I'd say that the data shown on the chart is limited to those values present on the first day of that range, but it's difficult to say for sure without access to the raw data.

2. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the report. I'll investigate.

3. vd_unity

vd_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @Alex2539
    Thanks a lot for your input!
    Your assumption was correct, all custom params data was collected properly,
    but there was a bug on our side when custom param values appear non consistently in corresponding time range.

Thanks to your observation, that bug is corrected now :)
    Please let us know if we could be of further assistance, and thanks once more for pointing this out!

Vlatko
    Platform Engineer

4. Alex2539

Alex2539

It's better than it was, but it looks like something is still wrong.

Here is the full data range: http://i.imgur.com/IpPwyTZ.png. Obviously it's no longer restricted to the values present in the first day, but if you look at the 17th there is no value for "Suicides" (the data point I originally pointed out).

Here is the data range constricted to the 17th to the 19th: http://i.imgur.com/vM7A2Pt.png. The data for "Suicides" is visible again, along with a value for "Double Barbedwire" which I didn't notice was missing from the 19th. At first I thought maybe the problem was reversed, taking only the data present in the last day instead of the first day, but if I change the range to include the 16th, the graph looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/YkUvt8G.png. All but one string are missing.

I'm not seeing the pattern this time, but something is obviously up.

For what it's worth, I'm really impressed with how quickly you guys respond to and tackle these issues. A lot of companies wouldn't get this hands-on with their customers.

5. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Ah, drat! OK...we're looking again. Sorry about this, we were sure we had it, but we've obviously missed something. BTW, your original assessment ("If I had to guess, I'd say that the data shown on the chart is limited to those values present on the first day of thatrange") was exactly correct. @vd_unity thinks he's found the remaining issue. We'll let you know when we're certain and have a fix ready.

6. vd_unity

vd_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @Alex2539

You are right again, there was another uncovered edge case in place.
    It is corrected now, please let us know if everything is correct right now....

Thanks a lot for your input,
    Vlatko
    Platform Engineer

7. Alex2539

Alex2539

Everything looks good to me. Thanks a lot for being so awesome!