Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Data Corruption With Prefab Import With New Prefab Workflow Still

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by guavaman, Apr 11, 2019.

1. guavaman

guavaman

There has been an ongoing issue since the change to the new prefab workflow affecting some of my customers. The core of the issue:
    • Prefabs and assets imported which were created in older versions of Unity MAY under unknown circumstances be imported with all object references blank.
    I have had this issue happen in two different forms, one pre 2018.3 release and now one reported in 2018.3.8.

The first time I saw this issue, it came in the form of opening .scene files that contained prefabs with references. The nature of this bug was that only the first time you imported the asset into the project, it would come in with null references in all object reference fields in the inspector when opening the .scene file. This issue was easily reproducible and I made a bug report which was never responded to by Unity. I have been unable to reproduce this issue since then, so I assume they fixed it.

Now I have gotten another report from a customer of mine running into another form of this same issue in 2018.3.8. Upon importing a package containing .prefab files created in an older version of Unity, the prefabs are imported with all null references in the inspector where they should be referencing other objects in the prefab. This customer tried everything I could think of to get this asset to import -- delete the asset, re-import multiple times, delete, close editor, re-import, change the asset serialization mode, etc. No matter how many times he imported the prefab, it never imported the object references. I, on the other hand, could not duplicate his problem at all on my end no matter what I did. What he did discover is, in a new project, he was able to import the prefabs without issue. So there is definitely either some setting in his project causing this or something in the Library data causing it. Either way, there is still a critical problem with the new prefab workflow system when importing older prefab assets.

I cannot reproduce this issue myself so I cannot submit a bug report on it.