Search Unity

Assets Data collection, Metrics, Custom Metrics, Privacy,

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by rickcollette, Oct 19, 2020.

1. rickcollette

rickcollette

Hi folks,

For the last few years I have been building games. One thing I kept running across was having to build my own analytics and data collection system.

• GDPR is a hard issue.
    • CPPA is difficult because it is specific to a single state in the US.
    • Player data privacy is an issue because if our players data is compromised, no one wants to use our platforms or games any more.
    • Being able to get the data I need for a particular game became an issue because I kept having to make concessions and tradeoffs - no one gave me custom metrics.
    • Sometimes I didn't want my players to have to log in to be able to collect metrics.
    • Sometimes I did want players to log in
    • Most game developers and designers are not server programmers, so rely on what is available.
    So, I stopped making games and started designing a system that was flexible and easy to use. Security is very important to me, and player privacy is at the top of my list.

I have a deep love for games that started in 1975, as a child at a Shakey's Pizza. I think it was Subhunt - but may have been a knockoff, mechanical/video game hybrid. I wanted to make games. But this seemed more important to me. Secure, private, and data. Usually you get to pick two. I want game makers to have all three.

What are you looking for when you launch a game? How are you tracking specific things? How are you visualizing the metrics and correlating them to events? K-Factor, Churn, etc - how do you track that? Please let me know.