Search Unity

Dastardly Banana -(Free) FPS Weapons Package UPDATE- 0.95

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Jason_DB, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm not sure that it fits with what I'm trying to do with the package, though. I need to expand the basic FPS stuff as much as possible while keeping the package from becoming too unwieldy or confusing. That being said, I might be able to pull together a visible legs plugin and put it up for download even if I don;t integrate it into the package.

2. Rillek_Alukard

Rillek_Alukard

Awesome pack, although I'm having some problems. (another day in the life of a prefab artist huh?). Anywho, the prefab for the player gives me two cameras (main camera and weapon camera), which, in the project view each have all the scripts in them. when i bring the player over however, only the weapon cam has all the scripts, and im guessing thats what leads to my next problem. Nothing fires. no sparks, sounds, muzzle flash, nada. i went a set the inputs for whatever error messages i got, but still nothing. im wondering if it has something to do with some default setting in unity i haven't changed or something? or possibly just some general i still haven't changed, because carrying over the unity tut fps.js also would not work, only when i used it in its own scene. so i ask, plz help, because from my current problem, and hopes of making an fps are toast if i cant even get a simple raycast weapon to work. thanks a bunch for the package anyway though, been the most complete and (supposing i get it to work with your help) most helpful tut/package ive ever found on the net =).

3. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

The two parallel cameras (while they will be re-formatted in the next update) are not a problem; one renders the weapons while the other renders the scene. For your problem it's probably something being set up incorrectly. The three most important troubleshooting questions are;

Do you have any more error messages?

Did you follow the initial setup instructions?

Does the demo scene work properly? (If this is the case, then it's just something in your scene, in which case it might be easiest to duplicate the demo scene and use it as a starting point rather than continuing to troubleshoot).

4. ivanzu

ivanzu

When is the new version coming out?

5. linuxva

linuxva

Amazing work !

I love the new grenade !

Vali

6. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

I'm not entirely sure. My priority right now is getting all of the features I want in (for instance, I just added simulated bullet drop to the list of features to add), so it could take a little while to make its way out.

7. ivanzu

ivanzu

LOL I starterd to work on the same thing(bullet drop) and adjustable sight as a private upgrade for your package.

8. Mauri

Mauri

For my fps-game i was on the way to using your awesome package. But now i have a problem:
    On the map there are a few types of a weapon from the same sort. Like 5 AK47. So when the
    AK47 in your hands is empty you can pickup another one, the old one would be replaced and
    falling out in front of your character. Like in CoD:MW or Bulletstorm i guess.

How to make this possible?

9. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

You just need to make prefabs for each of the pickupable guns (with rigidbody/collider) and instantiate them when a gun is unequipped.

10. DavidLH

DavidLH

you should add shells

11. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

shells are already included. The .99 update will improve the default shells, though.

12. Mauri

Mauri

Thanks for your help! :)

13. impheris

impheris

you are making a great job, thank you so much, really thanks
    and thanks for make it free its really helpful and sorry for my english btw

14. impheris

impheris

you are making a great job, thank you so much, really thanks
    and thanks for make it free its really helpful and sorry for my english btw

15. coin-god

coin-god

Is there any info about the release date for the new version?

Just looked at the vids again, and Im getting exited. :p

16. rudy777

rudy777

greak work and keep it up wish i could donate you deserve it man

17. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

I'm honestly not sure. I want to make sure to get all of the planned features in (it should be the biggest update yet). Things have slowed down since the last video due to time constraints, but I'll be getting out of school soon so development should pick up.

Also @rudy777 thanks!

18. petermauldin

petermauldin

Any new updates on an expected release date? Or at least which features you're done with/planning to include?

19. ognjenm

ognjenm

donate some cash to this guy, maybe he will work harder...(well he is doing that already)...then ask for updates

20. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

We're still working on the next update, and should have a release date soon. In the meantime there is a list of planned and completed features here.

21. petermauldin

petermauldin

Awesome! Thank you very much. I am a fellow highschool student and I want you to know that you've inspired me to keep working with Unity and progamming. (ha i just wish i was any good at modeling)

22. RoDester

RoDester

Modeling is easy to learn, but fell scripting is a hell for me :p an other fellow high school student here too :)

23. Alcatraz

Alcatraz

Very good package, thanks a lot! :)
    When be Updated this package?

24. Rillek_Alukard

Rillek_Alukard

Hey, i recently worked with your .92 version, then found you had 95, so i quickly downloaded :). Unfortunatly I ran into the same issues as buckethead
    Anything you still need? also, i have all the input keys default, and if i left click (all of this in playing mode), the guns fire, as well as pressing ctrl. if i left click (1) and press ctrl (0) in a 10101010101010 fashion, it makes the arms and weapon slowly extend away from the player. when i first open unity with your package. it all runs perfectly fine. but the next time i open unity, it begins giving me that error, and the bullet guns (shotgun, m16, sniper etc., not the rocket, laser or sword) stop making sounds, and only have one spark (shotgun and three burst m16). I really enjoy your work though :).

25. Alcatraz

Alcatraz

I have problems... error..

Help, Please!

26. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

For Alcatraz and Alukard - do these problems happen in the included demo scene, or only in your scenes/ have you changed the demo scene at all? If it works in the demo scene then we know that it is a setup issue.

27. Alcatraz

Alcatraz

Jason@DastardlyBanana, it worked perfectly, I edited the M16A4 and a long time after all, it worked fine, but lately, I don't understand why this had such an error and stopped sound of shots, etc. ... In the demo scene, too, the same error, I checked ..

And I edited the weapon system, the error turned out for some other reason, tell me please, how can I fix it?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  28. Alcatraz

Alcatraz

Unity amazes me more ... I opened the old version of the project, which has kept just in case two days ago, and there suffered innovations and began to work fine.
    still the question of why during the shooting in the editor everything is fine, and in the build project, the player moves when the shoots

29. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

The problem probably came from something that you had changed from the original version, which worked in the older version but caused errors in the new one. And what do you mean by moves when he shoots?

30. Rillek_Alukard

Rillek_Alukard

Well, after reading your replies, thanks for the lithness :), i realize im gonna have to do it in a roundabout way. i cant seem to figure out what im changing in the demo scene (i usually use the demo scene to build my game, bad idea apparently) , so instead of making you work into finding if theres a problem with your coding or set up (which i doubt there is, its just us derps messing things up), i'm going to build the map and other AI's prior to bringing in your weapons, although i really only wish to use your stuff with a different model. in other words, a regular mossberg shotgun (wood stock, plain old pump action) in place of your already awesome shotgun, and a baseball bat in place of the sword. obviously i can not be lazy and do this on my own, however i'm confused on how i should compound your scripts used on the weapons you already made, onto the models i would prefer to use, so basically the bat would do everything the sword would (i.e: force, damage, swing, sound and such.), and the shotgun would make a set spread, damage and force like the shotgun you made, but it would be the mossberg version. thanks for any help in advance :)

31. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@Alukard It's actually very easy to replace the models (it is designed around my own laziness :p). If you want to keep the same stats as a demo gun just copy the gun, delete the model, and drag your own model in its place. Then add the script 'gunchildanimation' to it, and write the names of your animations in it. Then you can tweak the stats, gun positioning, etc.

32. Alcatraz

Alcatraz

Jason@DastardlyBanana, If I shoot, the player moves to the right for each shot, while playing in the editor, everything is OK

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  33. ConFire77

ConFire77

Hey, your weapons package is great, but I have a couple problems that I can't seem to get around, maybe you can help?
    1. In a multiplayer setting, how would I make it so that the weapon changes show up for different players? So if player 1 switches from a M16 to the Spas-12, player 2 looking at him could see this.
    2. Also, how can the animations such as reload and fire etc. be viewed aswell by player 2?
    3. Is there any way to use the standard character motor, because I have been playing around with it for a while, and it seems to be much smoother and there are a couple better aspects in it rather then your modified one, such as moving while already in air.

Thanks for your help xD

34. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

Hello!
    1. You would have to keep track of the selectedWeapon integer in playerWeapons, and display a 3rd person model based on that.
    2. You would have to use gunchildanimation; you could modify the functions it uses to call animations to animate the 3rd-person weapon.
    3. Right now you would have to modify the motor script to make it compatible with the package (which is fairly time-intensive), or you could wait for the next update (coming in about a month) which will use the newer better default motor.

35. Alcatraz

Alcatraz

Jason@DastardlyBanana, we testing this package in build game? why my player moved? :(
    it's very bad, please help me! :)

36. pezz

pezz

Whenever I try to run your scene i get an error.

"Cheetah 3D '.jas' file importing is not supported on Windows."

37. pezz

pezz

I am about to watch the videos on your website.
    There is always more to learn.

Certainly deserves a donation.

38. mutantsproducer

mutantsproducer

unity cant import it and it always says "Unknown file type"

39. mutantsproducer

mutantsproducer

Jason@DastardlyBanana I keep getting and unknown file type error and yes i tried re-downloading the package HELP ME!

40. ivanzu

ivanzu

What version of unity are you using?

41. weniwe

weniwe

This is good, it will help me alot. Thanks!

42. Mauri

Mauri

How comes that some weapons in the webdemo-scene are not in the downloadable package?
    I like and need the weapon "TDI Vector" but it's not in the package as i see? :(

43. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

The weapons in the online demo are just meant to be examples, to show that you can put your own models in to replace the default ones- the idea is that you can use your own models and animations (the ones in the package are just very basic examples). There will be some improved models included in the next update, though, just to get the baseline quality up a bit.

44. Alcatraz

Alcatraz

I have a problem, I changed to the M16-A4 FN SCAR, worked fine .. but when I ran the game, reload with the left hand Reloading gun, and disappears. I go to the tab "Editor" and remove from the game pauses and a hand appears.

screenshot: http://savepic.ru/2746218.jpg (weapon without textures)

45. Alcatraz

Alcatraz

yeah! i fix bug! :)

46. petermauldin

petermauldin

Any updates? ETA?

47. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

At our current rate it should be done before the end of july (no promises, though). We've just finished support for footstep sounds, new impact effects, particle muzzle flashes, different crosshair textures, damage falloff, scaling scope textures, and several new animations. We're also working on a flamethrower-type weapon.

48. petermauldin

petermauldin

Sounds great! Keep up the amazing work!

49. BlueRain01

BlueRain01

Great stuff !
    Thank you for sharing!!

50. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

We're hard at work on the 1.0. Expect more information soon, but in the meantime here is a sneak preview of the current demo scene.