Search Unity

Dark version of Documentation, please...

Discussion in 'Documentation' started by Deeeds, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Deeeds

Deeeds

I don't work in the dark Unity, but I do code in a dark theme. As do, I think, a very good portion of others.

Is it difficult to make a dark version of the HTML/Online docs so it's not jarring to jump back and forth between docs and coding?

Or is there some other reason it's only in a white and bright, OMO-like theme?

jensschmidt and mannyhams like this.
  2. orb

orb

mannyhams and Mauri like this.
  3. Deeeds

Deeeds

Not forums. Documentation.

This: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/index.html

and this: https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/index.html

------------

I'm using Dash for the Reference part, to get that in a dark theme, but it doesn't seem to be able to download the latest version of the Script Reference, only 2017.3, and definitely not the beta 2018.1 or 2018.2 I'd like.

But, all that aside, I'd still like to ask why there isn't a dark theme for the HTML versions of these, both online, and as offline content within the Unity install.

4. orb

orb

Yeah, I meant modifying the forum styles. They might share a few things which makes it easy.

5. SmorcIRL

SmorcIRL

6. austingrove

austingrove

Bump

This would be really nice to have

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

I don't think any dark theme either for the forums or the doc will ever happen. I gave up on that and I use DarkReader; it's an extension for the most popular browsers. :)

Capture d’écran_2021-04-23_09-30-36.png

8. siobhangibson

siobhangibson

Unity Technologies

Hi all! I'm Siobhan, I work on the documentation team. Wow, this is an old thread.

A dark version of the docs is on our radar, but we're in the process of updating a very (very) old back-end, which is the priority for now. Rest assured, it's on our wishlist as much as it is on yours!

9. ModLunar

ModLunar

Thanks a lot for getting back to us :).
    Even if it takes a while, it makes me feel better just to hear an update like this!

Goodluck to your team with the refactoring/updating.

jensschmidt likes this.
  10. Bloodberet

Bloodberet

Old thread, but is this still on the radar for the team? Is the documentation still on a very old back-end?

11. alvijibraan

alvijibraan

Tôi thích sử dụng trang web của mình ở chế độ tối nhưng một số trang của các sản phẩm hen suyễn đang hiển thị sai màu ở chế độ tối.

12. samanbhagat

samanbhagat

no its not because i have am familiar about this when I was working

13. impheris

impheris

Wow, it feels a bit sad to read "is an old thread, but is on our radar" :rolleyes: pretty much all unity from 2020..
    Anyway, i use a browse extension called "dark reader" it turns all website a "dark" theme and you can modify the colors, constrast and stuffs, you can also activate it for some webites and turn it off for other :)

14. jwinn

jwinn

Another neat trick/hack for browsing the docs in dark mode, without an extension requesting a scary level of browser permissions, is by enabling forced-colors mode (emulates Windows High Contrast Mode) in Chrome.

Open inspector, Ctrl-Shift-P->Show Rendering, set Emulate CSS media feature forced colors to active.
    Not too bad!:
    forced-colors-docs.png

It surely saved my eyes when trying to read the docs the other night.

15. impheris

impheris

not exactly, those high contrast letters can be worst. Try the extension:
    asa.jpg

ModLunar likes this.
  16. BackgroundMover

BackgroundMover

Anotgher option without installing an extension is to enable darkmode flag for your browser
    upload_2023-6-1_14-3-18.png

MaxNekra, ModLunar and Ryiah like this.