Search Unity

Dark ui Pro Only ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thjellesen, Mar 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thjellesen

Thjellesen

Could we have the Dark ui in personal edition ?
    In Unity 5 almost everything is free but not the color theme. Why is the Dark ui Pro Only...
    I don't want to sound greedy but i really don't understand it

SteveDLosk and Joviex like this.
  2. charmandermon

charmandermon

Also I don't mean to be greedy either but where is the green skin option as well?

3. Mr-Rouf

Mr-Rouf

4. Bigmacbook

Bigmacbook

This is so stupid! This is the one thing I was hoping they would add to the free version! The light UI hurts my eyes

jj-jhow, Maxb0tbeep, ombing and 3 others like this.
  5. Stardog

Stardog

I'd pay a $25 one-time-fee for it. I'm used to it as a 4.x Pro user.

Better yet it would be customizable like Blender, and they could be sold in the Asset Store.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
    LaflammeMJ and protopop like this.
  6. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

As a pro user kinda agree, the dark theme it should be available to everyone. It's not because the dark theme is cool or anything, it's comfortable and not straining our eyes.
    Customizable theme would be so awesome though, especially if the preset can be saved and shared

7. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

I think that is part of the reason it will stay Pro Only for a while ;)

Somehow I think more and more that Unity would make the most money with a "Dark UI" subscription. :p

8. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Is this for real?!
    Who the hell cares???

Kondor0, zombiegorilla and DennG like this.
  9. DennG

DennG

This can't be said without sounding greedy.

10. Robota

Robota

The dark skin is just more confortable for some people. I am a pro user of 4 and now I 'am not sure to stay pro on 5. I 'am really used to dark skin, it is softer for my eyes.
    It is not just a detail when you work long days with Unity.

Shaolin-Dave likes this.
  11. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Dark skin is pro only. You will not get it for personal edition. The "comfortable on eyes" is an excuse because you stare at code, not the unity editor.

Give it a rest.

12. shaderop

shaderop

You know, judging by all those threads popping up every two minutes, it seems like the only two features that anyone ever really cared about were the the dark theme and the splash screen.

13. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yep and that's not changing so people need to give it a rest :)

JustCarty, genostrax and GoGoGadget like this.
  14. cubez

cubez

@hippocoder A little blunt remark there. It's common for people to have certain expectations before highly anticipated news. And if things turn out differently, they should be able to ventilate that I think. Also, changes have been made in the past, because enough people ventilated what they thought. You, as an official moderator, shouldn't be telling people that they are just making excuses or should give it a rest. If nobody says anything things are certainly not going to change.

So, you've motivated me to also give my opinion. Although I usually don't join these kind of discussions. And that is because I think the people who are saying something about this have a point. :)

First off, I'm a Unity Pro user. So I already have access to the dark color theme. But I still believe users of the Personal edition should be able to pick the color theme they find most comforting to work with. You should be able to do this, regardless of the version of Unity you are using.

With all commercial engines now going the "free with all features" route, people are going to be comparing. And I do think user interface is also a part of this choice. Not for all people, but the ones who do care about this are going to take this into consideration. Most of the time as a developer you are going to be staring at that editor screen. And I personally have always set the theme in my applications to dark, because I find it easier on the eyes. And I don't think I'm the only one. I know the two designers on my team feel the same way.

If you look at Unreal Engine 4, Source 2 and CryEngine they all have that dark background with white text and icons. And other programs like Photoshop, Maya, Zbrush, Modo, C4D and Substance Designer/Painter all have this color scheme. I don't think this is picked by accident or because it just looks slick. I think UX designers of those applications decided this would be the most comforting color scheme to work with all day/night long.

Unity 5 Personal and Pro are 100% the same now feature wise. And I think this is a generous but also necesary and smart choice. And it's better for the community as a whole and the future of Unity in such a competitive market. It's also a good thing for Asset Store developers, as they no longer have to take different versions of Unity in consideration (and upset Indie users, because they didn't read the description). But also for the Asset Store developers, depending on the kind of asset you are creating, the difference in color theme also affects you. If you create an editor tool and want to blend this in perfectly, you will have to create two different themes in your addon.

And finally, I think it's better advertising for Unity in the long run. People are going to be creating all those YouTube tutorials and they should show the most beautiful editor possible.

Bottom line, the light theme / dark theme was fun while it lasted, but now that Unity Free and Pro are the same application and the only real difference is all the extra services and privileges you get with your Pro account I think it's time to pick the best color theme for the application. Personal, Indie, Free, Awesome, Deluxe or Pro. Unity should be the best looking application on the market regardless of what version you are using. And the whole different colors for the two versions just feels kind of silly now. Even in the feature comparison.

So, my hope would be that the Unity team agrees and just makes the dark theme the default theme for all versions.

burga, b43n7, Mabus808 and 47 others like this.
  15. LaneFox

LaneFox

People have lived with light grey for a very long time. They can live with it a little longer.

16. Neoku

Neoku

Incredible but yes, Unity free all pro engine but not the dark ui, in this world all can be happen.

genostrax likes this.
  17. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

18. Thjellesen

Thjellesen

Exactly. Unity just forgot to remove the restriction, anything else make no sense !

19. Bertilino

Bertilino

Not everyone has.
    I was hoping to start playing around with Unity 5 once it came around since it has a lot more to offer an environment artists. But the interface is seriously off-putting to me, especially when all other tools I work with like (3ds Max, ZBrush, Photoshop, Substance Designer, etc) are in a dark scheme. It makes the switching painful, for me at least.

It's also distracting to work with colors with a bright interface (there's a reason all these programs are dark in the first place).

I usually use f.lux, but this isn't an option when working with assets and color critical work. I'll probably not continue with Unity until they do something with the interface tbh.

EDIT: I just want to add that I personally think the best thing Unity could do is add the dark theme as a $5-25 one time purchase in the store. This is not only great because people could get what they want affordably, but it also makes people use the store. One of the biggest barrier to online stores is to make people do that one first purchase. So if this is something a lot of people want it could probably boost the overall sales in the store too.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  20. macdude2

macdude2

Not that I haven't chimed in elsewhere, but I would too like to add to the black color scheme desire. Personally I thinks its ridiculous that someone would have to pay 3k to get this feature, just intuitively it seems it would be a feature included by default. A color scheme is such a standard feature of any program, it really doesn't make sense that it would only be available to modify in the "pro" edition. It worries me that Unity believes such a feature is necessary to entice people to pay them 3k. Things like this is where my worries about Unity's feature (financially) stem from.

21. josker

josker

Maybe I am getting old but the light colour scheme is hard on my eyes, its more the text on the background. I would be happpy to pay a one off fee for a dark colour scheme.

22. RobertOne

RobertOne

the most annoying part is, that asset store authors sometimes just optimize their stuff for the pro UI

on the left my unity 4.6 pro licence window and right now unity 5 personal.

23. cubez

cubez

Yeah, that's what I said about Asset Developers having to support two different UI color themes if they are doing custom stuff. I don't think this should be the problem of the developer. One color theme to rule them all. :)

24. Grimwolf

Grimwolf

Congrats, man. I believe you've just been nominated for the "Cynic of the Year" award.
    Hope you win :D

You see, I joke, because I'm not sure how to seriously respond to what I just read, which I interpreted as;
    "Lying bastards! You don't even see the editor that much, you just want more stuff for free!"

I suppose I could at least say that, apparently you're a dedicated programmer, and you seem to be projecting on people.
    Also, ouch.

25. ashenbee

ashenbee

vs.png vs2.png Look at the difference color can make for Visual Studio. I use that for my day job for hours on end. My eyes would fall out if I had to stare at the light skin.

Every other major development tool has had a way to modify screen colors for many years. It's 2015, get with the times.

26. orionburcham

orionburcham

It makes sense that people might care about this.

The dark color scheme is used as a value incentive to get people to pay for Professional. The fact that it's slightly annoying is somewhat the point. Unity is a business, after all.

Joviex likes this.
  27. Ostwind

Ostwind

I don't think many Pro users would have cared a bit if it would have been given to everyone in the first place since it does not have that big value among the other stuff :rolleyes:

Personally I don't care if they still add it for everyone along with a updated/cleaned (personal tag removed) splash screen in a patch. Those two seem to be the only two hot topics for everyone with personal edition.

Shaolin-Dave likes this.
  28. orionburcham

orionburcham

Yeah, I doubt many/any Pro users would care. But Unity probably would care, because the point of the dark UI is to help (in whatever minor way) sell copies of Pro.

This isn't one of those editor features that's very likely be 'improved' by user feedback. It's a feature designed for UT, not us, and it's doing great. :p

AbhimanyuAryan likes this.
  29. Detrus

Detrus

If personal users can pay $20 a month for certain pro services, let them pay a reasonable fee for a dark skin. One time fee of $50 for dark UI and some assets. Include it in some $10-20 a month subscription.

Although I agree with cubes tl;dr post above, dark theme is better advertising. The light theme is ugly. There are apps with pretty light themes, Unity is not among them. It makes a bad first impression. When I watched tutorials in a modern looking theme, then opened Unity it was like a blast from 1990's ugly past!

Leaving that feature only for pro is the ultimate troll. Like a joke or a spiteful kid move. All the power except to choose your UI color! Make it red while you're at it.

There are plenty of people who were paying $20 a month for Unreal. I wanted to pay less for Unity, since the game gold rush increased risk significantly.

The splash screen has been quite ugly for a long time too, who was that helping? And the new one could be better. The Unreal logo is displayed by paying big game studios proudly.

30. orionburcham

orionburcham

OWOWOW!

But seriously- I don't get why there's confusion about the skin. If people are bothered by it, it's working as intended.

zombiegorilla likes this.
  31. Thjellesen

Thjellesen

I really don't think Unity expect to sell any pro editions only on the black ui

32. orionburcham

orionburcham

not only on, but it contributes in whatever minor way to that 'longing'. What other point could having it only in pro have? That's why it (or more so why the light skin) exists.

33. Thjellesen

Thjellesen

Death is exactly the question, "giving" all the newest features away, and then let the ui spoiling the first impression. Make no sense !

Starblackdargon and Shaolin-Dave like this.
  34. orionburcham

orionburcham

I bet if UT notices the light skin keeping people from using Personal or buying Pro, they'll change the strategy.

Starblackdargon and Shaolin-Dave like this.
  35. Nanity

Nanity

Am I the only one around here, who actually prefers light themes?

zombiegorilla and Teila like this.
  36. Ostwind

Ostwind

Anyways I did not see the dark skin as a selling point anywhere in the new comparisons, is it somewhere?. It could just be that the change did not make it in to the release build or something since there was a rush with a lot of other stuff :)

Did any Unity employee either confirm or deny anything related to this?

Thjellesen likes this.
  37. Bertilino

Bertilino

It's right on the comparison page as "Professional editor skin" if you expand the list.

38. orionburcham

orionburcham

Well, it's listed on the version comparison chart (under "more features") here:

http://unity3d.com/get-unity

But really, does it need to be explicitly stated that that's it's purpose? Seems pretty self explanatory, and it has been said explicitly in the past. :p

39. Detrus

Detrus

Trying to sell $1000 apps to the glut of aspiring indie devs is a fool's errand. Photoshop costs $10 per month now. Not only were the kiddies pirating it, but many small studios. And some large company recently got sued for pirating it.

40. SunnySunshine

SunnySunshine

Let those who are Level 11 subscribers to choose pro skin?

darkhog and orionburcham like this.
  41. Ostwind

Ostwind

Ah ok, so it was listed after all :)

42. orionburcham

orionburcham

I'm not sure if anyone outside of UT has the information to know how effective it is. They might not even know, so no one might.

43. tswalk

tswalk

jeezbus, just give them the dark UI option... like it really matters to the pro licensee holders.

Protevs, Shaolin-Dave and Joviex like this.
  44. cubez

cubez

Shaolin-Dave, Joviex and Detrus like this.
  45. xxBarginsxx

xxBarginsxx

I thin of it like this. You'r gonna be doing pro work right? well why not give pro users 'pro' features and people that are not using pro, give them 'free ware' features.

Seems like a good choice to me!

46. orb

orb

This is the best argument. Asset authors generally don't support both colour schemes.

chingwa and Teila like this.
  47. HolBol

HolBol

I don't quite understand how the default skin is hurting people's eyes. To me it's really dark anyway. turn down your monitor brightness. Problem solved.

zombiegorilla likes this.
  48. zezba9000

zezba9000

I agree with others. Dark theme should be a paid addition if anything. Either one time fee of 20$-50$ or month fee of 2$-4$.

Joviex likes this.
  49. cod3r

cod3r

dark edition can be yours for a 1 time fee of 1500$

darkhog likes this.
  50. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

I don't understand why Unity hold on to that "Dark Skin" feature for the Pro.
    They practically giving the Pro version for free right now..but - if they TRUELY believe in democratizing game development, they wouldn't hold back this one trivial feature.

The thing about this personal edition is that - Unity is now betting on people making over $100K so they can start making money too - and what's the point of not giving indie developers a better development environment than to give them a dark skin so they can see better?

The other feature that's hold back - the splash screen - that I can understand. I have no objection that feature be Pro only.

BTW, Detrus, at least quote my whole original post! :D

I just got a brilliant idea! Maybe UT should make this skin as DEFAULT for Unity FREE in the next version? :D

I will bet UT will get 1000% conversion rate to Pro license in no time!!
    .... and the appreciation of the Unity users worldwide!

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/dark-skin-in-free-version.195140/#post-1429636

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.