Search Unity

Dark Theme

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by FrozenLazer, Jul 9, 2019.

?

Would you like to see a dark theme for Unity Hub?

1. Yes

95.0%
  2. No

5.0%
  1. Stevens-R-Miller

Stevens-R-Miller

Thanks, but that has no effect when I try it. Even if I close Hub and open it again, it says I'm set to "Production," but it is still dark:

upload_2021-10-20_20-29-8.png

2. It should download the non-beta version of the hub, then it will pop-up the usual notification to restart the Hub (you can try to restart it anyway), it should install the prod version of the hub.

3. Stevens-R-Miller

Stevens-R-Miller

Restarting manually got it working.

Whew! Thanks, brother. You just saved my bacon.

I truly cannot believe they replaced the light theme entirely with dark. My vision isn't so bad that I couldn't blow it up or using a magnifying glass or something. But that kind of step-down from an accessible product to a less-accessible one is just a lawsuit waiting to happen.

4. Havokki

Havokki

This is a temporary thing.

https://unity3d.com/hub/whats-new

5. Stevens-R-Miller

Stevens-R-Miller

Fortunately for me, my disabilities are pretty mild. But as I grow older and my disabilities become more problematic, I have come to realize that people with bigger accessibility issues than I have do not see "this is a temporary thing" as very comforting. Imagine needing to use a ramp to get to the bathroom, rolling up to it, finding that the ramp that had always been there was gone and, in its place, was a sign that said, "this is a temporary thing."

6. Havokki

Havokki

This is a beta that you had to decide to install yourself, by default people would get the production version. So this is the same as you needing glasses, but deciding not to use them, and then complaining about not having glasses.

The notes said the light version is coming back and the production version still has it. So unless the light version does not come back before the beta is moved into production, I don't see what the problem is.

7. Unfortunately this isn't true. When you go to the Get Unity page and you work yourself through the pages selecting individual and free and all, you end up here and this is the download button.
    screenshot.png

Stevens-R-Miller likes this.
  8. Stevens-R-Miller

Stevens-R-Miller

So it's my fault that the "Download for Windows" link here downloads the beta?

upload_2021-10-21_14-35-2.png

9. Stevens-R-Miller

Stevens-R-Miller

Now this is the point where we all demonstrate what gracious beings we are, with one of us saying, "Oh, hey, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info." And the other two of us saying, "No big. Glad we were able to clear all that up." And then we all stay cordial and friendly after that.

10. UnityJuju

UnityJuju

Unity Technologies

Thank you for flagging!
    As it was already said here, the light version will be reintroduced soon.

I'll raise with the hub team about beta download.
    In the meantime, if you download the hub and it's in beta, do these steps below to revert it:
    1. Click Settings (gear icon)
    2. Go to Advanced
    3. In the Release Channel drop-down, choose “Production”
    4. Wait for background download. When it’s ready, you will see a message to Restart Hub to start using previous version.

LooperVFX likes this.
  11. Stevens-R-Miller

Stevens-R-Miller

Awesome, thank you!

12. KyryloKuzyk

KyryloKuzyk

Just installed Hub 3.0 and I can't believe that there is no light theme! This is a no-no for accessibility, there are dozens of researches that indicate that dark themes produce more eye strain.
    Dark theme looks cool and all, but having no option to set the light theme is a really bad design decision.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
  13. Brathnann

Brathnann

While I don't believe your "dozen of researches". They have already said the light theme will be back as an option along with the dark mode, if you are worried.

14. KyryloKuzyk

KyryloKuzyk

There are plenty of studies on the internet, but if you're looking for a credible one, the Nielsen Norman is the most credible source about everything related to UI/UX:
    https://www.nngroup.com/articles/dark-mode/

Light Theme was there from the very beginning of Unity Hub. And it's a more accessible option for the majority of people. So it's the dark theme that should be along with light one, not the other way around.

Shaelle likes this.
  15. Brathnann

Brathnann

I'm not going to make this a "sources" war, because we could argue that all day and get no where.

I understand you don't like dark mode and prefer light mode. Everyone has a preference, which is why different themes exist in many apps and programs.

Dark mode was being requested and 3.0 is still in beta. So it's not a required update. I'd expect by the time it comes out of beta, light mode will be there along with it. You can still revert back to the current live hub version. I'm happy they introduced dark mode as it let's us see what it will look like over the current light mode. If they just brought out the hub with light mode, it would just be another version of the hub. Honestly, I prefer the dark mode. I just didn't keep the update due to some bugs it had that broke opening projects.

16. KyryloKuzyk

KyryloKuzyk

Unfortunately, version 3.0 is an official release since today, not a beta. I wouldn’t complain if it was beta.

Shaelle and LooperVFX like this.
  17. andreyul0

andreyul0

The beta is moved into production.
    There is still no light theme.
    That is a problem.
    Hub.jpg

18. Brathnann

Brathnann

Well, it's only a problem if you prefer light mode. Voice that you hope to see light mode as an option soon. Honestly, you look at the hub for only a few minutes most of the time anyways, and then you're in the editor and you can have light mode there to your hearts content. Those of us who preferred Dark Mode had to do that also. :D This thread is about dark mode though, so I would suggest making a new thread about wanting light mode as an option.

Oh, and trust me when I say I understand. Just because I don't care for light mode, doesn't mean I don't understand you wanting it. This thread was started to get dark mode though. And we got it. It was not a thread to replace light mode with dark mode, just the ability to have our dark mode as well.

19. No, they said maybe it will be available. It is not even under the "Planned" section in the roadmap.

screenshot.png

KyryloKuzyk likes this.
  20. Brathnann

Brathnann

The original notes stated light mode would be reintroduced soon, which is what I was going off of. Looking at the roadmap, it clearly says to provide your feedback. Which means if enough people want light mode or customization of the hub, they will invest time into it. So, provide feedback. Let them know it's important if someone wants light mode. I'm all for customization and don't know why it couldn't have been a feature to start with.

upload_2022-1-11_23-3-37.png

chrismarch and KyryloKuzyk like this.
  21. chrismarch

chrismarch

Thanks.
    BTW it isn't much of a time investment, just click the link below, click Important, enter email, verify email. Done in 2 minutes.
    https://portal.productboard.com/bjw...ode?utm_medium=social&utm_source=portal_share

22. Le_Tai

Le_Tai

I gave the feedback in the roadmap from, made a forum post, and I will restate it here because it is very important to me. Light mode is necessary for some people. I don't know the exact percentage, but given the size unity user base, it is inevitably a large number. The new hub should not have been released in the production channel without light mode. Please make light mode an option, or provide a way to revert to the older version.

23. Stevens-R-Miller

Stevens-R-Miller

"prefer" != "need"

Owing to a mild vision impairment I have, I need light mode. Dark mode makes it harder for me to read the screen.

24. unity_piVN8j-aLCz-OA

unity_piVN8j-aLCz-OA

terrible theme . I can't see anything (I have eye protection on). How to return the light theme? I see that unity makes the font lighter but this is not enough if you work in a room where there is a lot of sun

25. Stevens-R-Miller

Stevens-R-Miller

Same here, bro'. Guess those of us with accessibility issues are just being ignored.

nyonge and KyryloKuzyk like this.
  26. Stevens-R-Miller

Stevens-R-Miller

Installed Hub 3.3 today. Still no light mode.

27. Klepko

Klepko

Has someone installed the new 3.4.0 version? Is there a light theme?

28. Finally!
    Screenshot 2022-12-12 092435.png

KyryloKuzyk and Le_Tai like this.
  29. Stevens-R-Miller

Stevens-R-Miller

Thank Gawd! (And thanks to Lurking Ninja for telling us.)

Hub 3.4.0 is no longer in beta, either.

KyryloKuzyk likes this.