Search Unity

Dark Theme

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by FrozenLazer, Jul 9, 2019.

?

Would you like to see a dark theme for Unity Hub?

1. Yes

97.9%
  2. No

2.1%
  1. Stevens-R-Miller

Stevens-R-Miller

Thanks, but that has no effect when I try it. Even if I close Hub and open it again, it says I'm set to "Production," but it is still dark:

upload_2021-10-20_20-29-8.png

2. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

It should download the non-beta version of the hub, then it will pop-up the usual notification to restart the Hub (you can try to restart it anyway), it should install the prod version of the hub.

3. Stevens-R-Miller

Stevens-R-Miller

Restarting manually got it working.

Whew! Thanks, brother. You just saved my bacon.

I truly cannot believe they replaced the light theme entirely with dark. My vision isn't so bad that I couldn't blow it up or using a magnifying glass or something. But that kind of step-down from an accessible product to a less-accessible one is just a lawsuit waiting to happen.

4. Havokki

Havokki

This is a temporary thing.

https://unity3d.com/hub/whats-new

5. Stevens-R-Miller

Stevens-R-Miller

Fortunately for me, my disabilities are pretty mild. But as I grow older and my disabilities become more problematic, I have come to realize that people with bigger accessibility issues than I have do not see "this is a temporary thing" as very comforting. Imagine needing to use a ramp to get to the bathroom, rolling up to it, finding that the ramp that had always been there was gone and, in its place, was a sign that said, "this is a temporary thing."

6. Havokki

Havokki

This is a beta that you had to decide to install yourself, by default people would get the production version. So this is the same as you needing glasses, but deciding not to use them, and then complaining about not having glasses.

The notes said the light version is coming back and the production version still has it. So unless the light version does not come back before the beta is moved into production, I don't see what the problem is.

7. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

Unfortunately this isn't true. When you go to the Get Unity page and you work yourself through the pages selecting individual and free and all, you end up here and this is the download button.
    screenshot.png

Stevens-R-Miller likes this.
  8. Stevens-R-Miller

Stevens-R-Miller

So it's my fault that the "Download for Windows" link here downloads the beta?

upload_2021-10-21_14-35-2.png

9. Stevens-R-Miller

Stevens-R-Miller

Now this is the point where we all demonstrate what gracious beings we are, with one of us saying, "Oh, hey, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info." And the other two of us saying, "No big. Glad we were able to clear all that up." And then we all stay cordial and friendly after that.

10. UnityJuju

UnityJuju

Unity Technologies

Thank you for flagging!
    As it was already said here, the light version will be reintroduced soon.

I'll raise with the hub team about beta download.
    In the meantime, if you download the hub and it's in beta, do these steps below to revert it:
    1. Click Settings (gear icon)
    2. Go to Advanced
    3. In the Release Channel drop-down, choose “Production”
    4. Wait for background download. When it’s ready, you will see a message to Restart Hub to start using previous version.

11. Stevens-R-Miller

Stevens-R-Miller

Awesome, thank you!

unityunity