Search Unity

Dark Theme

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by FrozenLazer, Jul 9, 2019.

?

Would you like to see a dark theme for Unity Hub?

1. Yes

95.0%
  2. No

5.0%
  1. FrozenLazer

FrozenLazer

A Dark Theme for Unity Hub would be amazing! The bright white really strains my eyes at night. Are there any plans to do this?

2. joaoborks

joaoborks

I totally agree! Hope they can make this available

makaka-org likes this.
  3. Unitybyte

Unitybyte

Unity Technologies

4. FrozenLazer

FrozenLazer

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

2019 and no dark theme (along with no UI scaling) ... back to unreal engine.

caionahas likes this.
  6. safaGH

safaGH

Unity Technologies

We are currently working on the design of the dark mode and we will move to its development as soon as the design is ready, but not in the version 2.1, we had more prior features that you will discover soon... Thank you for your feedback guys !

joaoborks likes this.
  7. mrdunham

mrdunham

Just get Flux (funny enough I just found out that is also their domain name: https://justgetflux.com/)

It fixes eye strain and is free. One of the most impressive pieces of free tech I've ever found. Way better than darkmode and works with everything.

AdrienArt likes this.
  8. Yapac96

Yapac96

ofccc

9. TCROC

TCROC

@safaGH What is the status on Dark Mode? Thanks :)

10. unity_ayDL1aAAZ3a7Hw

unity_ayDL1aAAZ3a7Hw

2020 still no dark mode

11. xPhsyx

xPhsyx

"
    still not dark mode if you don't pay for Pro/Plus
    "

12. justadaniel

justadaniel

Tbh, it's a strange request @safaGH, but when we do get the dark mode feature in Unity Hub, would it be possible to have it for everybody regardless of there subscription? I'm one of a few people that keep it running all the time in the background, however I do understand why it might make more sense to have it only for Unity Plus and up subscribers. Thanks, thought I just wanted to add a little of my own input into this thread. I'm enjoying the 2.2 release. :)

13. safaGH

safaGH

Unity Technologies

Hello @justadaniel !
    Hub dark mode is still in our backlog since we are always trying to address more prior tasks. As far as I know, it will not be limited to a certain category of Unity users (unlike the editor where the dark mode is only accessible for pro users).
    Thank you for your feedback about the hub 2.2.2 and do not hesitate to post any issue / feature request you have about the product here in the forum :)

14. TCROC

TCROC

Hub 2.3.0 released! :) Any update on where Dark Theme resides on the backlog? Our eyes are patiently waiting. :)

15. safaGH

safaGH

Unity Technologies

Hello @TCROC !
    We know how important this feature is for a lot of our users and we are sorry for our delayed reaction but we will be somehow redoing the whole front-end of the hub gathering all the features we got here in the forum including dark mode. We are aiming mainly for stability in this period of time (robust download and install, smooth licensing flow...) which will guarantee a better user experience and then we can look into other less prior feature requests. Thanks for your patience !

LooperVFX and TCROC like this.
  16. Jax0rz

Jax0rz

TCROC likes this.
  17. Brathnann

Brathnann

18. TayouVR

TayouVR

works on PC too. just unpack with asar, add the links in the two index files and add the dark theme css file, pack again and it works. Do not replace the existing asar, file that will break the hub because the one bundled with the dark theme is outdated

TCROC likes this.
  19. Brathnann

Brathnann

Hmm... Then I must be in the wrong app.asar file as I don't know the same folder structure. I guess I need to look around.

Edit: Ah, found it. Yep, there is another app.asar in another Unity hub folder, so I had them mixed up.

TCROC likes this.
  20. TCROC

TCROC

This is definitely nice to chew on until Unity releases an official dark theme. Does Unity have any update as to when we can expect dark theme to be officially supported?

21. hieuswp1995

hieuswp1995

Wish dark theme for Unity Hub. My eyes will love this <3

22. TCROC

TCROC

Hey @safaGH . Just poking in and wondering if it would be a reasonable expectation to get an official dark theme with Unity Hub before the end of this year?

23. What? Two days went by without anyone asked for dark theme? Blasphemy! :D
    answwer.png
    I am proud of my vote! And I'm an an anarcho-syndicalist commune!

24. LooperVFX

LooperVFX

@TCROC @Jax0rz While I appreciate the effort, know that posting hacks like this on the forums that Unity uses to gather feedback and gauge interest is not actually helpful. Because it takes the pressure off Unity just doing what most users have wanted all along. They can say "Oh, well look, there is some ridiculous and hacky workaround on the Unity Forums, so people aren't asking about that feature so much, great. We can de-prioritize it and push it off into the backlog for another 2 or 3 years." This isn't a problem or criticism unique to Unity, this can happen to any software product... Where one has created a stopgap/workaround that artificially reduces the frequency of requests / perceived demand for a feature or fix to a known issue.

Having said that.... I find it hilarious this and similar threads even exist. We shouldn't have to ask for Dark Mode UI in the first place. The Dark Mode UI should be default among any sort of modern software development or design tool (and it commonly is among Unity's competitors, various IDEs, and various video and photo editing, design tools, chiefly for usability and accessibility.) If resources are really so limited that the Unity Hub team (or any team creating apps in these "dark mode" preferred industries) can't design and deploy Dark and Light UIs simultaneously, focus on Dark mode first and let the handful of people out there that prefer Light Mode UI ask for that and get it ~2 years (or more) after initial release. That would be a response proportional to the respective demand.

(Unity Hub 1.0 released on September 14, 2018 --2.5 months short of 2 years ago)
    https://blogs.unity3d.com/2018/09/14/unity-hub-v1-0-is-now-available/

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    DrBlort and NotaNaN like this.
  25. TCROC

TCROC

cookj024 and LooperVFX like this.
  26. LooperVFX

LooperVFX

I really appreciate the responses you and @ga_chan have already posted in this thread. Hopefully now that the Hub has had many of these priority changes rolled out, plus the Dark theme for Editor now being available to even Personal licenses :D... it seems like the time for Dark theme for Unity Hub may soon be upon us? :cool: Thanks and great work on the Hub thus far.

27. Sailendu

Sailendu

Is there any update on this? I recently downloaded the latest update of Unity Hub (2.4.1) and still no dark mode. I would really love to have a dark mode.

TCROC and LooperVFX like this.
  28. TCROC

TCROC

Just checking in to see what the status is on a Unity Hub dark mode. The previous workaround is way to tedious to have to redo after every update.

29. TCROC

TCROC

Happy new year! It is 2021 and just thought I would kick it off with a check in on the Unity Hub Dark Mode :)

LooperVFX likes this.
  30. LooperVFX

LooperVFX

Also curious, where this feature is on the 2021 roadmap? Over 99% of Unity users (from a sample size of 263 in the poll here) prefer dark mode for their UI / workflow. There have been many requests and nearly unanimous demand for this over the past few years. So I hope it can finally be pulled out of the backlog soon, if it hasn't been already. @Unitybyte @safaGH
    Thanks and happy new year!

31. LooperVFX

LooperVFX

32. TCROC

TCROC

Yay! That's so exciting! I look forward to it! It is currently the only piece of software that I use every day where I have to put on sunscreen first. Lol jk. Unity Hub has been great, I love it, and I'm definitely looking forward to this much needed dark theme :).

LooperVFX likes this.
  33. Sailendu

Sailendu

In the poll at the top of this thread, 99.7% users want dark mode, but still it's been years after so many people requesting this. This is sad :(:(:(

34. Kiefie

Kiefie

I think as a species, we are ready for Dark to be the default in all cases.

If saving eyes isn't enough motivation. what about saving the environment?

Just think of all the wasted energy from all the monitors using full power to display a dazzlingly bright white window!

THAT'S ON YOU!! How do you sleep at night?

/s

Last edited: May 27, 2021
  35. Sailendu

Sailendu

Someone from Unity please give us an update on this, when is a possible release date, or at least tell us if it will ever be released or not.

36. LooperVFX

LooperVFX

An update from AbrahamDUnity was posted in another thread earlier this year, stating that work on the Unity Hub dark theme has been "very productive" and there is a chance it may be released sometime this year: https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-hub-dark-mode.723872/#post-6686224

37. Laicasaane

Laicasaane

Hope this will land soon. It's been pricking at my eyes for too long.

Sailendu likes this.
  38. davidsamacoits

davidsamacoits

Unity Technologies

Exciting news today! Hub V3.0-beta.1 is out and guess what? Dark theme is part of that major release on top of a lot of new exciting features, check out this forum thread.

39. Brathnann

Brathnann

upload_2021-7-8_10-44-58.png
    That looks great.

davidsamacoits likes this.
  40. Sailendu

Sailendu

This is awesome!!! Thank you so much for this release, I have switched to the beta channel and dark mode is working nicely, and I really like the new design. Haven't explored all the new features but I am so exited, kudos to the team, thanks again.

I have just one minor request, on macOS please make the hub icon look like the new Big Sur style icons, rounded corner, that would make it look in line with other icons. It's not a big issue, just a personal preference.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
  41. hessel_mm

hessel_mm

Yeah, except it isn't an option, so tough luck if you prefer a light theme.

AdrienArt likes this.
  42. Havokki

Havokki

43. Laicasaane

Laicasaane

Thank you! Such a great news!

44. Hyp-X

Hyp-X

The most exciting feature being that it screws up projects that it loads.
    Good thing is that after reverting the changes it did and reverting to Hub 2.4.4 I can open our project again.

45. TCROC

TCROC

Love the new Unity Hub dark theme!!! :)

LooperVFX likes this.
  46. DaveAstator

DaveAstator

And, how do I switch to light theme for the hub now?

cyraxchel likes this.
  47. You don't. "Light theme comes later" - according to the release notes of the beta Hub.

UnityJuju likes this.
  48. Stevens-R-Miller

Stevens-R-Miller

Oh.

My.

God.

I have low vision and need the extra brightness to see anything. Dark mode is very cool and I even appreciate that some people get eye-strain without it. But I literally cannot read the new Hub in its dark-mode-only configuration.

How could they do this?

cyraxchel, Shaelle and Gordon_G like this.
  49. Stevens-R-Miller

Stevens-R-Miller

Is there a source for downloading earlier versions of Hub? I am sunk with the current one.

Shaelle likes this.
  50. screenshot.png

Click that in the lower-left corner of the Hub and switch to 'Production'. The 2.x Hub is light theme only.