Search Unity

Feedback Dark Theme should be Free?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by asadmuzammil77, Aug 30, 2019.

?

Which One will be your preference if All themes of Unity are free?

1. Dark Theme

2. Light Theme

3. Options to create Custom Themes like Blender

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. jjxtra

jjxtra

I have floaters, ocular migraines and general brain issues and vertigo that is triggered by light. Staring at the light theme of unity is literally painful for me, regardless of other lighting conditions. The dark theme is not too bad. This is an accessibility issue.

Batz_, vennx, Supergeek and 1 other person like this.
  2. Supergeek

Supergeek

The light theme hurts my eyes. This is not "style" or "fashion" or whatever. Multiple people are saying light theme is painful to use and others are basically calling them liars, including a high level decision maker at Unity. This is just another incidence of ableism.

The dark theme should be unlocked immediately and custom theming enabled for increased comfort while using the product.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    Batz_, vennx and Alverik like this.
  3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Just pay for Unity instead of demanding more free stuff...

:hide:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  4. cyberIndia

cyberIndia

I cannot think of any other reason than pure teasing or mocking the free users... "oh u not paying us, we'll burn your eyes..."

Several times I thought of leaving the platform and switching to Unreal... but all those years I have given to Unity will go in vain... It's the same concept game developers use to keep the users logged in to their game coz even if they not enjoying it, they feel like all the time they have invested in it has to be justified...!!

Why I don't pay for the plus plan to get the dark theme? Well because it feels like extortion... And it's too expensive considering you doing it only to switch one file!

5. unity_9GQflAtFV8prSQ

unity_9GQflAtFV8prSQ

Something so simple and so popular should not be locked behind a 40$ monthly. You should buy Pro or Plus when you need the features, support and customisation, not to change the contrast of your work space. If you are a hobbyist, or just starting to learn, paying this much money is illogical just for a theme, because you don't need any of the other features.

I cannot think of a single game engine, IDE or anything programming related that doesn't allow this "feature" for free. This is nothing more than extortion for people with sensitive eyes, bad vision, low brightness, etc.

I have programmed for years and worked with programmers with various backgrounds (from learners to professionals) and the only people that use light themes on there IDE or engines are inexperienced people, or people who sit down for up to 2 hours of work a day in front of a screen.

When people ask me which engine to start learning, they pick Unreal (as it also is free) and has dark theme.

Batz_, vennx and Alverik like this.
  6. MostHated

MostHated

Yeah, especially now
    Especially now with Unigine releasing a community licensed version of their engine which is relatively similar to Unity, but offers full C++ *and* C# support.

They seem to be targeting their audience, lol.

7. Vryken

Vryken

UE supports C# now? When did that happen?
    I might actually have to check it out now. The only reason I didn't want to use it initially was because I'm not a fan of C++ or blueprints/visual scripting, and C# is my favorite programming language.

Batz_ likes this.
  8. MostHated

MostHated

Na, Unigine. Not Unreal.

Alverik likes this.
  9. Vryken

Vryken

Ah, misread that.
    Now we have at least three game engines that start with "Un".

Domarius likes this.
  10. MostHated

MostHated

Well, to be fair, we have for quite some time. Unigine was started in like 2005, and I think Unity in 2004? Unreal, technically since 1998, but not necessarily the "Unreal Engine".

I get your point though, lol.

Alverik likes this.
  11. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Who cares about the dark theme.

It's the splash screen that should be optional for everyone. In order to make it so that people cannot circumvent showing the Unity splash screen, they do so many weird and hacky stuff, it causes issues for people with paid licenses (like the current, storyboards are fading to grey issue).

Just make it optional for everyone and be done with it.

12. MostHated

MostHated

Nearly everyone who was asked, it seems.

Especially considering this is a thread dedicated to discussion about.... the dark theme. Probably not the best place to rant about something completely different.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
    Batz_, Supergeek and Alverik like this.
  13. Alverik

Alverik

This thread wouldn't exist if nobody cared about the dark theme. If you want to talk about the splash screen just make a new thread instead of downplaying other people's needs...

Batz_ likes this.
  14. Deleted User

Deleted User

The dark themes now are more useful than in the 80s.
    First of all they are better in terms of art, and second now we make a lot of hours here, in our computers. Light themes are hard for your brain to process in the night.

Batz_ likes this.
  15. EvOne

EvOne

This is just your personal point of view. Nothing more.

bugfinders likes this.
  16. Deleted User

Deleted User

Well... just try to look at a light screen during the night. With all the lights in your room turned off. And then try it witha black plain color. In other terms, skins don't cost money.

Alverik likes this.
  17. You shouldn't look at ANY screens with your lights turned off. It is not the light theme what screws up your eyes, but the fact that you try to work in a dark room with your screen bombarding you with light. Turn your lights on if you work instead of sleeping.

18. phobos2077

phobos2077

Looks like it's happening https://unity3d.com/unity/whats-new/2019.4.8

The fun part is it's in the "Fixes" section of the changelog. I wonder if they added it by mistake or it's a real deal.

19. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Blog post coming in 3...2...1... :)

20. Vryken

Vryken

Looks like they just updated it. It's now under the "improvements" section.

asadmuzammil77 and phobos2077 like this.
  21. phobos2077

phobos2077

Well it's very unlikely to be a mistake now. Hurray!

22. shotoutgames

shotoutgames

Released?

23. Vryken

Vryken

Yup.
    snip.png
    Using version 2020.1.2f1, personal edition.

Edit > Preferences > General > Editor Theme > Set to "Professional".

shotoutgames and phobos2077 like this.
  24. shotoutgames

shotoutgames

Listed under differences too.. no splash screen changes. Fair

25. Vryken

Vryken

Maybe that's something that would change in the future as well, but I can understand if they have no plans on doing that.

phobos2077 likes this.
  26. Mauri

Mauri

phobos2077 likes this.
  27. BilalGuvenc

BilalGuvenc

Congratulations Unity, you're in the good way. By the way, I voted and started to watch this thread a few days/weeks ago because I started to use Unity a few months ago :)

Rallix and phobos2077 like this.
  28. asadmuzammil77

asadmuzammil77