Search Unity

Dark Theme. Pro only? Seriously?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JamesLovesCode, Aug 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamesLovesCode

JamesLovesCode

This is silly. Why is the dark theme pro only?

A dark theme isn't a feature that should distinguish whether or not you should pay for a full license. A lot of free software comes with a dark theme including:
    • Visual Studio
    • Sublime
    • Atom
    • IntelliJ
    3 of those are paid products that offer free/trial versions that include a dark theme. They're not the only ones either.

As someone who has been programming for over 15 years using a dark theme this is absolutely stupid. Many professional programmers who spend 8 hours+ a day programming appreciates a dark theme. It's easy on the eyes. If you can stare at a bright screen all day then good for you, but some of us can't.

I'm going to look into getting a dark theme on the free version. I don't care how much hassle it is, it's required for some of us. I'll report back with details once I've done it for anyone else wanting a dark theme in Unity.

Sorry Unity team, but this is stupid. You force users to go to extraordinary lengths to do something that should take a couple of clicks for no valid reason.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    JLowther, trevor3, IVTore and 8 others like this.
  2. LaneFox

LaneFox

This horse is dead. Everyone agrees that it is stupid.

IVTore, heymity, rahulk1991 and 8 others like this.
  3. Ryiah

Ryiah

I'll save you the hassle.

https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/zios-editor-theme-support.411818/

4. neginfinity

neginfinity

It is that time of the year, isn't it?

rahulk1991 and HemiMG like this.
  5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yep. I can't even be bothered to lock it, might as well let them get it out of their system. Plus... Let's be honest. It's dumb that it is successfully monetised.

Think about it for a second. There is no logical reason to prevent dark skin other than for some reason, a tech company can make money from it.

It's flabbergasting but there you have it: Unity makes money from recolouring the editor!

rahulk1991 and tuf_dev like this.
  6. JamesLovesCode

JamesLovesCode

Oh darn it. I now realise this is a common complaint.

rahulk1991, LaneFox and hippocoder like this.
  7. RockoDyne

RockoDyne

It's been a lot less common the last year or two though.

8. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes, or at least it used to be a common complaint. Once upon a time we used to see similar discussions show up but the release of Unity Plus and Zios basically eliminated the bulk of them and now like @neginfinity suggested it's only a yearly occurrence if it happens at all.

9. Murgilod

Murgilod

I wouldn't be surprised if a key motivator in the lack of complains is that there's no longer a meaningful feature disparity between Personal and Plus/Pro. It's a lot easier to go "come on, at least throw us the dark theme" when the personal version of the engine doesn't even contain basic features like render textures and realtime shadows :v

10. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

11. orb

orb

Yeah, I think we're down to only a handful of threads per month :p

The aforementioned Zios theme is a good temporary solution until they add real flexible theming support (which employees have agreed would be a good thing to have), but if you're just looking for less of an eyesore there's f.lux to help you with any shockingly bright software.

12. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Ironically the first thing I did when I brought plus was figure out how to ge my light theme back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.