Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Dark theme, light theme, can't make nobody happy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Peter77, Jan 14, 2022.

1. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

2. Acissathar

Acissathar

I swear I remember the beta version of the 3.0 hub had the theme as a choice, which makes it even more weird to just remove it.

Marc-Saubion likes this.
  3. neginfinity

neginfinity

White letters on dark background can cause afterimages.

Ony, SMHall, Moonjump and 2 others like this.
  4. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

5. The "new" 3.0 Hub never had light theme. The 2.x series had, although that didn't have a dark theme.

I guess Unity is feeling anxious again... many people are complaining that Unity doesn't listen to feedbacks, and here we go...

BTW, I'm one of those people. I find light themes more relaxing for my rapidly aging eyes. I would use light theme even in the editor if the theming weren't inherently buggy mess... It switches to dark theme randomly after some bigger workload on the CPU... IDK what happens exactly, I gave up on it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2022
    Ony and Marc-Saubion like this.
  6. Murgilod

Murgilod

I've been using Hub 3.0 for a long while and I genuinely do not recall it having a theme option as this is something I have often lamented. I work in a well-lit environment so a dark theme is genuinely a pain to use given the overall lighting situation.

Lurking-Ninja likes this.
  7. Acissathar

Acissathar

Looking at the release announcement someone else mentions it isn't a choice either, so I'm definitely misremembering it.

8. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

For me personally dark themes destroy my eyes in seconds. I seriously can't read a "full" (like three paragraphs) article on siliconera without it messing with my eyes. It's a similar effect to when you stare at the sun for a moment or two.

I only ever have the Hub open for moments when selecting projects or installing a version of Unity so it's not a big deal, but I hate dark themes. Options are good.

Teila, Moonjump and Lurking-Ninja like this.
  9. tmcdonald

tmcdonald

The hub 3 update is beta, right? It might just be a temporary thing. Anyways, as someone who prefers dark theme, I still would rather it be a choice. Barring outright allowing us to theme it, it at least shouldn't be a big deal to just give a toggle. I say that as not the person who has to implement it, but historically, such things generally aren't terribly difficult to implement.

10. Murgilod

Murgilod

Hub 3 is released now. It's not temporary at all.

11. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Why is it important about the hub? Do people sit there staring at the hub for more than 5 mins pondering poor life choices?

Homicide, Luemus, Gekigengar and 5 others like this.
  12. Murgilod

Murgilod

It's important for software in general, but I tend to have to access Hub several times a day and it's the only thing that is incongruous with every other interface because it's a forced dark theme. I'm currently doing work on about 6 projects other than my own, so I spend a fair amount of time jumping between things, often for multiple versions of Unity.

It's not really a tall ask to go "can we have this extremely basic feature?"

Marc-Saubion and Deleted User like this.
  13. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

That's fair. After all, Unity doesn't want the embarrassment of having a lovely dark skin but a little tiny pale box that pops up every so often. Consistency matters when you're a public traded company. Looking good really is that extra dollar.

I'm sure they'll address it.

14. Murgilod

Murgilod

Given their history, I'm really not. The real S*** going on here is that it's actually probably easier to do than I've even let on. Hub being an Electron app means it's really doing some pretty standard web-style rendering and this could be solved with some simple CSS work. If these files were exposed to the user, this could at least be done by the end user with a "simple" style edit.

Marc-Saubion likes this.
  15. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Make light theme plus/pro only :p

impheris, Gekigengar, steego and 5 others like this.
  16. Antypodish

Antypodish

Had exactly same thoughts. I wouldn't be surprised.

17. tmcdonald

tmcdonald

Oh whoops, my bad. You're completely right. In that case, I hope they bring it back for people who don't want the dark theme (unlike when I was asking for dark theme in Unity and people were super smarmy to me about how it's totally worth paying for and is an actual premium feature in the year of our Lord 202X.)

18. I would stop paying Unity if that would mean I can use the light theme reliably.

Joe-Censored and Kiwasi like this.
  19. Neonlyte

Neonlyte

I wonder if Adobe has all these complaints. Their software has no themes whatsoever.

20. Neonlyte

Neonlyte

Jokes aside, I do wish Unity can revamp the Editor light theme. Ableton Live has a grey-ish light theme like Unity, but their UI shading is much modern looking than what Unity has.

21. 1; apparently you have a weird mental picture of "modern looking"
    2; why would an Audio software be the gold standard how a 3D application should look like?

Gekigengar likes this.
  22. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Ableton Live was considered "modern" around 15 years ago. I wish people stopped equating flat = modern.

To get back to the topic, the Hub should absolutely have a light mode (it should match the editor themes), but the Hub has some many easy wins and tweaks that should have been done to it:

(like, easy way to download missing Editor version, more obvious way to see what build platform the project is set at, it should remember what modules I want to install, because I'm tired of unchecking Visual Studio Community and Documentation every time I want to add a module, when an editor version is missing it should more obviously suggest or highlight editor versions that are in the same 202x.x release, a link to release notes when viewed the versions that are available to install would be nice, etc etc etc)

but they are not added to it, and instead we have a lot of sideways movement. So I'm not holding my breath for it getting a light theme.

I guess it makes sense that hub is made with Electron, every Electron piece of software I have used ranges somewhere from underwhelming to terrible.

NotaNaN likes this.
  23. Moonjump

Moonjump

No, that link is for the editor, which has a choice. The issue is with the Hub, which suddenly does not after a forced update.

I submitted a bug and got a reply they are going to put the light option in. So it will all be good at some point.

DragonCoder likes this.
  24. Murgilod

Murgilod

I'm pretty sure the only Adobe software I've used without themes are Lightroom, Premiere and After Effects. The first thing I used to do in Photoshop and Illustrator before switching from them was change to light mode.

25. Teila

Teila

I do. The hub is like a magic 8 ball. Yes? No? What should I do? Should I go back to bed. :)
    But I have new supersonic eyes these days.

Hi Hippo

vertexx likes this.
  26. Le_Tai

Le_Tai

Re:OP: I understand your sentiment. I used to prefer dark theme, and can't see why light theme is the default everywhere. I don't know what happen, but this is where I am now. Regarding the title, it's not at all difficult to make everyone happy. Given the hub is electron based, there are a billion web based UI library available that support theming.

As an asset store publisher, I think I use the Hub more than the average user. I'm actually fine with dark theme in photoshop, because I use shortcut, and mostly look at the content and not the UI. Also, adobe dark theme is not as high contrast as the new Hub.

27. protopop

protopop

I think Unity Hub users should be able to choose between light and dark mode.

Everyone is different and it's better for usability.

Like how Apple gives users the option to choose list or dark mode on iOS and macOS :)

impheris likes this.
  28. Murgilod

Murgilod

Because most people tend to work in well-lit environments where dark themes are more likely to cause increased eye strain, which is kinda a big problem if you want to be able to work at a job that involves staring at a screen all day.

Lurking-Ninja likes this.
  29. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Huh? I thought we all did this in our basement.

impheris likes this.
  30. Antypodish

Antypodish

Surprisingly many people work in dark, or bad lit envirements. Specially when you are at home, trying work after sun set. Homes don't tend to have office standards lightning fittings. Many people works even without any back-light. You can find many gamers does that on YouTube. And if suddenly something become bright on the screen, then they strain eyes. If game, or video is bright, no dark theme will help. So is not that far from basement conditions at all.

Same would apply to dark theme editor, while working on bright game, or assets for example.

But you save on OLED screen burnouts, with darker themes.

In well lit envirement, that is lesser of an issue. But dark themes are more prominent to reflections from the screen. So your eyes starts fighting with a depth and focus, without being aware of that.

However, most people are not aware about differences and issues that follow level of lightening at work station. The are reasons, such lightning standard been enforced past decades.

Moonjump likes this.
  31. It's cheaper to complain about dark theme than set up your environment properly, heck, even set your monitor brightness to sane level is hard. It's work, it needs thinking, let's just demand dark theme instead, that's something other people produce.

Antypodish likes this.
  32. vertexx

vertexx

All the time.

33. Le_Tai

Le_Tai

I think you misread. I posted the post the OP was talking about. I can't stand light theme anymore, but I can get his point. I doubt environment have anything to do with it. I use dark theme just fine in bright room a few year ago. Now I can't stand it even in dark room

34. chingwa

chingwa

Looks like I'm sticking to hub2.

35. Ryiah

Ryiah

Environment very much plays a role. One of the major ways to reduce eye strain is to have your monitor's output brightness be similar to the brightness of your environment. A dark theme in a brightly lit environment and a light theme in a dark environment both increase eye strain.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/dark-mode-chrome-android-ios-science

36. Moonjump

Moonjump

I didn't have a choice. It updated me automatically, which is really annoying. No software should be updating automatically as it can break things, and bugs introduced, and there is a long history of that happening. There are good reasons for LTS versions of Unity, but that seemingly does not apply to the Hub according to Unity. I don't want anything to update when I am nearing a deadline, hence it being forced is terrible.

37. Deleted User

Deleted User

Unity Hub "Light Mode" is in the roadmap and making a comeback.

AnastasiaSin likes this.
  38. dmcomeau

dmcomeau

It is currently "Under Consideration" on the Roadmap, despite previous release notes saying "(The light version will be reintroduced soon)".

39. Murgilod

Murgilod

Unity only ever updates roadmaps about once every eight billion years.

40. Homicide

Homicide

lol - its a real issue apparently.

41. impheris

impheris

big lol

Joe-Censored likes this.
  42. impheris

impheris

Photoshop has more than 2 themes