Search Unity

Dark probe results in 2018.3

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by petey, Dec 14, 2018.

1. petey

petey

Hi there,
    Just testing out light probes with a simple scene and I cant seem to get the light probes to get a the same brightness level as their environment.

Is there something I'm doing wrong here?

Thanks,
    Pete

2. orson-welles

orson-welles

Similar issue here I guess.

Captura de pantalla 2018-12-15 a las 20.54.41.png Captura de pantalla 2018-12-15 a las 20.55.54.png

See the difference in the door in the right. Every time I press "Play" my lights probes get dark. Generating light again it works in Scene view.

3. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey! Probe-lit objects will use SH coefficients as opposed to lightmaps, so there might be slight visual differences between lightmapped and probe-lit objects.\

There are couple of ways you can mitigate it. One of the ways is to use mixed lighting mode for your directional light. In that case, you will have realtime direct contribution to both lightmapped and probe-lit objects.

Another solution would be to place more probes in your environment to increase sampling accuracy.

Also, make sure that you are using identical materials for both of your objects. Switching to linear color space should also help.

I've made a quick experiment using the same lighting setup as yours. The sphere on the left is probe-lit, while cube on the right is lightmapped. Notice how there's very little difference between the two.

Unity_2018-12-18_11-10-03.png

4. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

This is a known issue with Auto LDA (lighting data asset), which had already been fixed in Unity 2018.3. One may to mitigate this would be to bake your lightmaps with Auto Generate disabled. After doing so, entering Play mode should preserve your lightmaps and ambient probes.

5. petey

petey

Thanks for that, @kristijonas_unity.
    I've noticed that if you adjust the indirect intensity, the probes don't seem to get change, it seemed the closest match for me was around 0.5. Does that sound right?

In this pic I've adjusted the indirect intensity to 2, you can see the probes are a little different.

I uploaded the scene in case you feel like checking it out, http://www.peterleary.com/ForumFiles/Lightmap Tests-piS2Zy1RGS.unity

Thanks,
    Pete

6. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

Tweaking Indirect Intensity and Albedo Boost sliders can definitely work, unless you want all your lighting in the scene to be PBR compliant. If that's the case, it is better to leave them at their default values.