Search Unity

Danger: Deleting cloud build project also deletes analytics

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by antifuzz, Sep 16, 2015.

1. antifuzz

antifuzz

I've just fallen foul of what I consider is a piece of very bad piece of UI and communication around Unity's new services.
    We recently launched a new iOS and Android app two weeks ago, in which we're using Unity analytics. I did also try setting up Cloud Build for the project during development but it didn't work with our particular project set up so we didn't end up using it in the end.

After the app launch, I thought I would delete the project setup within Unity Cloud Build as I didn't need it anymore. On pressing delete, the site did warn me that I would lose all related data and stats. I thought it meant just those related to the Cloud Build, so I merrily clicked yes and deleted it.

Then the next day I logged into Unity Analytics to see how the stats were going, but the project entry was nowhere to be found.

Turns out that by deleting the entry for the app in Cloud Build, it also deletes the Unity Analytics entry and you lose all your stats. We've lost all our analytics now for our launch week, and Unity have told me there's no way of recovering the project. The only solution I now have is to create a new entry for the project in Unity Analytics, and submit a new build of the app containing the new Project ID, which in turn means no more analytics until that version gets approved. So we lose about the first three weeks' worth of stats on our new game.

To be honest, I'm pretty pi**ed off that this effect of deleting a project in Cloud Build was not made clearer.

Just thought it was worth warning others.

2. Deozaan

Deozaan

Sorry you went (or are going) through this. Thanks for sharing your experience so that others can be warned and can avoid the same thing!