Search Unity

Daikon Forge no longer being sold in the Asset Store

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BrainMelter, Aug 6, 2014.

1. S3dition

S3dition

I fail to see how people didn't see it coming. Unity has been parading a substantial (and usable) overhaul to their GUI system forever. With it on the verge of release, how can you assume that tiny studios will try to compete Unity forever when most players will probably find the new GUI perfectly fine?

Why would a team continue to work for a handful of people that paid 2 years ago?

2. jerotas

jerotas

Fully agree with everything you said. But hindsight is 20/20 of course.

GoGoGadget likes this.
  3. Murgilod

Murgilod

Hindsight doesn't have to be 20/20 here. If the product wasn't financially viable, they should have said this BEFORE pulling the product, not a goddamn week later.

Ostwind and Parallaxe like this.
  4. jerotas

jerotas

I know, I was talking about the "announcing DF 2.0" part. In hindsight that probably wasn't a good idea eh?

5. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Whilst I understand the frustration at the situation as a whole, why are asset sellers obligated to tell us when they might remove something from sale? If I'm selling something today and I decide I don't want to sell it any more, I don't have to give everyone advance notice. I can just stop selling it.

It's not the same as someone who's already paid for a thing complaining about not having access to it.

6. jerotas

jerotas

Yes you can. And then everyone has the right to think you're an idiot for posting no explanation if it was handled like this product (explanation many days later). You're not obligated, but the repercussions are pretty obvious.

Parallaxe likes this.
  7. Murgilod

Murgilod

I've said this before, but a lot of extra content for DFGUI requires you showing yourself as a verified customer. Along with taking down DFGUI, they took down the entire process of becoming a verified customer. Not only that, but if a product is being discontinued and only getting cursory updates, this is something you should be warned about ahead of time so you don't spend your money on a product that's going to be discontinued.

DF did basically everything wrong here.

Parallaxe and Ryiah like this.
  8. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

When did they do that? I became a verified customer after they left the Asset Store.

Anyway, like I said, I can indeed understand the frustration at the situation on the whole. And I agree that it'd have been better for everyone if there was improved communication and it didn't take people by surprise. But that's still a different issue to some imagined obligation to keep selling a thing.

If it were me and my product, I'd probably post an explanation at the time of takedown, ensure some support mechanism was in place for existing customers, and provide some method for existing licensees to get more licenses (because without that, if you're in a project where the team grows... you're stuffed).

9. wccrawford

wccrawford

As I posted before, the page with the instructions was gone for a while, and then they put it back after receiving complaints.

10. comixplay

comixplay

11. Marco-Sperling

Marco-Sperling

You do know this meme http://isthenewguioutyet.com/ don't you?
    UT had the reputation of announcing GUI updates - and then... nothing. There was plenty of room to believe they'd cancel this release, again. And the GUI is not the only component of the editor that needs an update to welcome it to the 21st century. But then it is easy to bash people by hindsight for them not trusting in UT enough.