Search Unity

Daikon Forge GUI Library

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by TakuanDaikon, Aug 6, 2013.

1. TonyLi

TonyLi

Same here.

2. jerotas

jerotas

I think you should open source it.

3. Xeir

Xeir

Own it, and agree with it going open source.

4. gman

gman

own it. agree open sourcing is a good idea.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  5. XaeroDegreaz

XaeroDegreaz

I worked for Daikon Forge for about four months, and I knew it was all going down-hill as even I was unable to get in touch with them my last month there. I should point out that I always got paid, but it was like being paid by a ghost employer.

It's sad to see it go away like this, but it's the nature of the business, and I support the decision to move on to greener pastures.

I also support the decision to open-source the software, because it would be an even bigger tragedy to see so much hard work discarded. At least if it goes open-source, it can still survive with code updates from the community.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  6. Gentle-Troll

Gentle-Troll

Own it and agree with open sourcing it!

7. Colibri

Colibri

Question to DF team and UI experts: I've heard (gamasutra) that alongside the public beta of 4.6, Unity has announced it is open-sourcing parts of the engine, including that new UI system...so maybe a kind of general open source community about Unity UI systems, including DF GUI, will be interesting and may just need some key leaders (not only one, in order to bring together people coming from uGUI / DF-GUI / NGUI) motivated to start a forum, roadmaps,...

But maybe I'm dreaming.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
    Broken-Toy likes this.
  8. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

Same here.

9. chaosmaker

chaosmaker

May the "Source" be with you!

10. Colibri

Colibri

I'm for open sourcing it if it means I don't have to start my UI front scratch when I will use the next version of DF GUI, and if DF team, as said on DF-GUI forum, manage with a last effort to build a better version removing bad conception choices but keeping what I like with DF-GUI : its advanced and smart controls.

If not, I will probably forget all the time (months) I've spent with DF GUI, because, based on the last tutorials about Unity 4.6 UI I've just seen, I think it will be a big challenge for the community ! I mean, some 'strange' DF GUI conception choices (its anchoring system, tween component approach instead of animation, code itself which seems not always 'performance oriented') may look like bad ideas when you see how the 4.6 UI works and seems to have a (far) more elegant architecture (simple controls...but event system with param mecanism and better keyboard + touch handling through input module concept, pragmatic anchoring system, animation component for state transitions, a general UI Text with rich text option, mask element concept and scroll rect elegant approach which should allows nice controls creation like tab panels, UI sprites which can come from a game atlas and not a UI only atlas...). But maybe DF-GUI has helped Unity team to take better décisions ;-)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  11. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

After test 4.6 UI I think that DF have still something to tell: container are more intuitive and so window drag and rescale and text effect are better. So I think that use your experience gain with DF to make a new extension for the new 4.6 UI that improve it in DF style will be a good thing. Hopefully you'll gain performances from the 4.6 approach and you have less work to do because don't have to keep an entirely different gui system.

Colibri likes this.
  12. Colibri

Colibri

Experts from NGUI, DF GUI, and 4.6, it's maybe the time for you to work together open sourcing a new common asset which takes the best of the past, based on new Unity UI foundations :)

13. sandboxgod

sandboxgod

I'd be okay with open source.

But more pressing- anyone tried running their DF UIs in 4.6 beta? My UI widgets are misplaced now. It's as if the aspect ratio got messed up. crap, might have to stick with Unity 4.5 or something til I finish up my game

[edit] Btw to add more detail I am on 4.6 beta17 & my UI components are fine but they all go push inward a bit. It's as if DF-UI has decided the safe frame is really close in. So- all of the elements get pushed in a bit. The elements at the center almost look normal.

So, it's not super bad. Defintely something I could fix with some debugging. Just a weird issue!!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  14. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

It's now open source and on GitHub (from official Forum)

c-Row, Fortyseven, TonyLi and 4 others like this.
  15. sandboxgod

sandboxgod

Added some detail about the bug I am seeing in 4.6 b17 in my post above. Debating on just switching over to 4.6. I really didnt have much UI. Just using DF's rpg rollout thing and one other ingame menu I made on my own. Sucks man I really did like DF UI I always felt like a lot of good work got poured into it!

Not sure what I am going to do yet...

[edit] Turns out issue has nothing to do with Daikon Forge. 4.6 works a little differently in the editor viewports

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  16. Fortyseven

Fortyseven

License owner here, as well. Another vote for open sourcing it and throwing it up on GitHub. It's the responsible thing to do.

17. OnePxl

OnePxl

It's already up on GitHub, see three posts back.

Fortyseven likes this.
  18. RichardSim

RichardSim

woot! I'm glad to see this is now open source.

I've just made a pull request for a change I made to maintain the aspect ratio of controls while still resizing them for e.g. retina vs standard screens. It's not a one-size-fits-all solution, but it fits our needs and means we run a single UI design over all devices now without issue.

https://github.com/TakuanDaikon/DFGUI/pull/2

19. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

Hm, seems I can't change the pull request target. Is it possible on your end to close the pull request and open a new one, pointing at the Experimental branch (rather than Master)?

EDIT: Nevermind, I've created a new pull request from your fork and merged it into the Experimental branch.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  20. Fortyseven

Fortyseven

Whoa, sweet. Thanks for the heads up. :)

(I can't believe I missed that.)

21. BoydofZINJ

BoydofZINJ

I am a unity/programmer hobbyist and I own DF-GUI and while I understand about real life and money and about the potential unity 5 update. I feel for DF-GUI ... but I also feel for the rest of us! I love DF-GUI and I enjoyed my time with it. While I never made anything more than a few dozen menu and a health bar or two with DF-GUI and a pew pew spaceship... DF-GUI was worth the price of gold. I finally understood what I needed and started experimenting on other features - it almost feels like I lost a friend, DF-GUI.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  22. layola

layola

Added ability to drag-and-drop multiple Textures into Texture Atlas

how to select multiple Textures and then drag-and-drop into Texture Atlas?

23. LeRan

LeRan

Hello forum,
    Now that the code is open source, is anyone presently working on it to improve compatibility with Unity 5? It does work "as is" after the automatic conversion, but the compliation yields around 50 warnings, so I suppose some things should be tweaked a bit. It's already useful the way it is and I don't really have the knowledge to change the code myself, but, I'd like to know if someone out there has done work about that...

24. DougMcFarlane

DougMcFarlane

@LeRan, I have Unity 5, and I'm not seeing any warnings.
    I think I have the lastest DF also: v1.0.16 hotfix 1
    Could it be something else causing the warnings?

25. LeRan

LeRan

@Doug.McFarlane : all errors come from "outdated instructions" in the code of various DF components (can't remember which ones right now though). I'm not sure either what version I have, I found mine there :
    https://github.com/TakuanDaikon/DFGUI
    (it's almost one year old, maybe it's the first version that went open source?)

Can I ask where you got the v1.0.16 hotfix ?

26. DougMcFarlane

DougMcFarlane

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  27. LeRan

LeRan

Glad you told me where the version number was, I think I would not have found it myself. Thanks for your help! Anyway, it's the 1.0.16 hotfix 1 already. So well, tough luck ^^

The warnings are almost exclusively (besides a couple odd ones here and there) :

'Font.textureRebuildCallback has been deprecated. Use Font.textureRebuilt instead.'
    (from dfButton, dfLabel, dfTextBox etc.)

'CharacterInfo.vert is deprecated. Use minX, maxX, minY, maxY instead.'
    'CharacterInfo.width is deprecated. Use advance instead.'

(from dsDynamicFont.cs and/or dfMarkupBox.cs)

Does it look like it's something really serious?

28. DougMcFarlane

DougMcFarlane

Ha, I forgot I had an older version 5 -> 5.1.2f1
    It is likely a new check in the newer versions.

And, it's only a 'deprecated' warning, meaning that the command may eventually disappear in future versions.
    It should run just fine, but annoying though!

You could try suppressing specific warnings by adding the following to each guilty DF script:
    #pragma warning disable xxxx

See this topic:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/suppressing-warnings.39993/

29. LeRan

LeRan

Oh, that's right, I have the brand new 5.2.2f1, I should have mentionned that first.

Anyway, thank you very much for your insightful help! I'm quite new to Unity, and I was afraid to put a lot of effort into a DF GUI just to see it stop working very soon... I think I'll just live with it for now and hope for the best.

Thanks again!