Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Daikon Forge GUI Library

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by TakuanDaikon, Aug 6, 2013.

1. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

The evaluation version was taken down. We'll work on it when we can, but we have a fair bit on our plate - adding new features, fixing bugs, and answering customer questions, so the evaluation version is a low priority at the moment.

2. SteveB

SteveB

I think this might have been asked elsewhere but not answered...

...what happened to the Game Menu Example?

There were users on the developer forum that were apparently using it as recently as late Feb, but the most recent asset package doesn't have it.

3. lzt120

lzt120

I wonder if the binding system can be using by scripting instead of do it on inspector.

4. SteveB

SteveB

Hmmm just realized no developer response for three weeks...

...I'm new to the scene having just purchased Forge. Is this what's to be expected from them?

Great looking system, but others are thankfully available if support is lacking. As such the Game Menu Example I requested should still be a scene demo as it's the most educational, and yet it was removed?

-Steven

5. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

I apologize if I missed your particular question.
    This question has been answered on our support forums, here for instance.

To summarize, the Game Menu demo was never intended to be *the way* to do things (it was somewhat rushed, and in a production game we would have made it significantly more modular and easy to extend), and ended up raising more questions on the forums than it answered.

6. Extreme_u3Damon

Extreme_u3Damon

Hey Guys am trying to switch between panels VIA Button controls , i try to just edit the GAME MENU example scene but did not work and come up with errors ! seems its only work with "TEXT/LABEL" ... Anyway i can put it to work ?!

and one more question i did not set a sprite for "HOVER" action , instead i use colors , but i get nothing when i hover my mouse !
    any ideas , solutions will be appreciated ! thanks

7. lzt120

lzt120

If can use mobile/particle/alphablend shader for DFAtlas instead of using default shader Of DFGUI for DFAtlas on mobile game due to performance ?

8. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

I doubt it will gain you any real performance increase, but it is possible to use custom shaders with DFGUI yes.

9. ChrisMaster

ChrisMaster

Is Daikon Forge web page down? Or is it just my internet?

10. derkoi

derkoi

It's working fine here

11. lzt120

lzt120

$dfListBox.png
    Please see the picture above, the dfListbox clip make the text wrong rendering. you can use the word " 林,水,本" as example on dfListbox's options and test on your side and reproduce this issue,please kindly fix this issue with many thanks. This issue happens on dynamic fonts

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  12. gotys

gotys

Your "getProperty()" method totally collides with Unity's SerializedObject (and probably all reflections and serialization things) . This is pretty bad !

This guy already reported it:
    http://www.daikonforge.com/dfgui/forums/topic/rename-getproperty-to-something-else/
    but I disagree with him on "Extremely minor request", this is totally MAJOR.

So, in my CustomEditor code () where I have something like:

Code (csharp):
    1. SerializedObject renderer = new SerializedObject (cloudSprite);
    2. renderer.GetProperty ("m_Color");
    then I get error:
    Code (csharp):
    1. IndexOutOfRangeException: Property not found: m_Color
    2. dfReflectionExtensions.GetProperty (System.Object target, System.String property) (at Assets/Daikon Forge/DFGUI/Editor/dfEditorUtil.cs:635)
    3. CloudManager.colorit () (at Assets/Editor/CloudManager.cs:115)
    4. CloudManager.OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/Editor/CloudManager.cs:93)
    5. UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditors (Boolean isRepaintEvent, UnityEditor.Editor[] editors, Boolean eyeDropperDirty) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/d3d49558e4d408f4/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:850)
    6. UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

dfEditorUtils.cs , line 635: throw new IndexOutOfRangeException( "Property not found: " + property );

You should probably use more namespacing or rename your method or something, this is not good :)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  13. BL00DCELL

BL00DCELL

Does anyone know how I can make a textbox or label display a static variable I've created that changes? Currently I have a button that generates my static variable and says it in Debug when clicked. I have put a label and a textbox in the scene and I can't find what I need to mod in the scripts or which feature to use that would make the Label or textbox say a static value that changes.
    Thanks.

14. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

You'll need a custom script for that. Just set the Text property to whatever the value of your static field is.

15. DougMcFarlane

DougMcFarlane

@BL00DCELL: I didn't quite follow exactly what you were asking.
    What does the label's text get set to - and when?
    The button's text? Code generated on the button click?

To register a delegate on a button click: (In C#)
    Code (csharp):
    2. // This line should be in your Awake() method.
    3. button.Click += OnButtonClick;  // Call the 'OnButtonClick()' method when button is clicked.
    5. // Event triggered by a button click to set label's Text field.
    6. void OnButtonClick(dfControl control, dfMouseEventArgs mouseEvent) {
    7.     label.Text = "Hi"; // Set label to a specific string
    8.     label.Text = someStringVariable; // Or, set label to a string variable
    9.     label.Text = otherControl.Text; // Or, set label to another control's Text field
    10. }

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  16. BL00DCELL

BL00DCELL

Hi thanks for the fast response. I already have the button creating the variable example on click which generates a "random name".
    Im having trouble finding how to tie "random name" to a label or textbox when it gets generated.

17. DougMcFarlane

DougMcFarlane

Are you having trouble finding a reference to the label?
    Try this (in a script attached to the GUI's panel):
    Code (csharp):
    1. transform.FindChild("labelName").GetComponent<dfLabel>().Text = "random name";
    3. // or, more clean:
    4. var label = transform.FindChild("labelName").GetComponent<dfLabel>();
    5. label.Text = "random name";

18. BL00DCELL

BL00DCELL

That worked Great thank you :)

19. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

In Unity's SerializedObject, it's not GetProperty. It's FindProperty ;)

20. byerdelen

byerdelen

Hi,
    With the last update of Daikon, my Unity materials are gone. I have no chance but reimport everything and see them. If I import Daikon, they are gone again.
    -To give some feedback: I would love to but it happens whenever I import Daikon Forge even on simpler projects so I have no clue. The materials are coming back when I erase Daikon Gui You can see the material in the picture.
    Has anybody any idea why this can be?

http://snag.gy/pLPbV.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  21. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

22. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hmm...simple problem that is stopping me. How do I get one finger to touch 2 DFbuttons? I can only get the buttons to respond if I use two separate fingers...

23. gotys

gotys

Meh - after toying with Daikon Forge for 3 weeks , I got fed up with lack of documentation and went back to NGUI - which by the way has a new fresh release and is awesome ! Not to mention Daikon Forge has very huge issues with Tweening anything ..it's choppy , doesn't scale text correctly .. it just needs wayyyyy more development time before it's worth MY time. Good luck though, we need competition !

24. broken

broken

When will be available new updates? DFGUI is not updated for almost two months, the minimum forum support, topics ignore, what happened?

25. MichaelHF15

MichaelHF15

Does this work with ios?

26. Gamingbir

Gamingbir

Is it mobile friendly? Will it android version 2.2 and above? 2.2 being the minimum 4.4 is highest. How about ios? Also how is performance wise?

27. weedling

weedling

I've worked with it for a couple months and one of the only things that I have found to be problematic with android and iOS is the scrollpanel. It's very slow and unusable on mobile devices. They have released something called virtual scrolling in response, but it's difficult to work with when you have anything more complex than a simple scrolling panel that will never update anything inside and there are still bugs. So as long as you don't need a scroll panel you should be fine.

The other thing is property binding. You can't use polled property binding on mobile because it will slow down dramatically. This can be worked around by implementing your own script that changes label text when you need or just using the event driven property binding.

This is just from my experience and if you can do without those things you should be fine. But I am really waiting on a better scroll panel myself because the virtual scrolling is buggy.

28. Saxi

Saxi

I tried to sign up for the forums but had no luck. Said some of my information was in the stop forum spam database. I checked and did not find my IP or EMail address in the database, when I searched by the three usernames i tried none of them were there either, but there was a ton of results that showed up with all different spellings, but none exactly like mine. The fuzzy algorithm sucks and it is a big pain.

I tried contacting you via the form it says if you have problems making an account, and I couldn't' because your captcha says to enter both words, but it only shows one house number and fails. I tried 5+ times and same thing every time.

29. broken

broken

Yep, ScrollPanel it is nightmare for me too (even for the web application). With big amount of data ScrollPanel very slow and eat lot CPU. Also, VirtualLayout has bugs and its functional not enough for more complicated situations.

I don't understand what happened, but developers ignores mail messages and forum topics last two months.
    I respect the work of Takuan, but they have completely forgotten about the community.

30. Saxi

Saxi

I can't even join community, forum won't let me make new account and I can't send email due to broken Captcha. Guess it was a waste of money. I thought DForge was suppose to be a lot better.

31. crafTDev

crafTDev

Crazy how there is no response to Unity forum posts. I take a peek into all my asset threads to make sure I didn't miss a comment or someone needs a help and can't get it atleast once a week. I made a post you can see up top for weeks and still no response, not even for any following posts...wow...

32. Saxi

Saxi

The problem is most of this stuff is made by a single person either for a quick buck or something they were passionate about at one point but that quickly wears off after a few hundred support emails.

Anything not designed by a decent size company will almost always be abandoned sooner or later.

They working on DF 2.0 so I would think that wouldn't be the case here but the way the forums and contact form is setup they make it impossible to contact them.

33. falonso

falonso

Hi, I was wondering if the color picker example scene was still planned for release/inclusion in the package? I would really love to take a look at it.

34. cavila

cavila

35. Archania

Archania

And the Dev couldn't even inform the people that use it. Very professional.

36. cavila

cavila

There's little to no information available as to why this happened. Hopefully it's not something tragic and it's just simply another case of lack of professionalism. It's a sad state of affairs in any case.

37. Saxi

Saxi

He hasn't been responding to the forum thread for a long time. It seems it was a long time coming.

38. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

Ha. I just started the tutorials today and found out DF no longer is being sold nor supported. Luckily I picked this up when it was on sale for 26 bucks. Well. Back to NGUI.

39. sonicviz

sonicviz

Unity needs to clean up the Asset Store.

It's partly their responsibility allowing people to clean up selling assets while taking a 30% cut and then just decide they don't want to support their product anymore.

Just having an auto TOS clause that resolves them of responsibility is not really acceptable imo.

Glad I didn't waste my time working with DF in this case, even though I picked it up on sale.

cavila likes this.
  40. nasos_333

nasos_333

Agreed, there should at the very least have the last released version available for download, removing it completly is very confusing to say the least.

cavila likes this.
  41. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

They got updates on the Daikon Forge website. But now that the developer has effectively stopped supporting it I don't want to bother with it.

42. delibowlen

delibowlen

I´m lucky that I bought it on sale for a few bucks and not for the full price...
    and also that 4.6 is on it´s way ;)

Besides, I never really got warm with DF, can´t tell why, but for example my actual project includes more UNITYGUI than DF...

43. Colibri

Colibri

From DF team thread on their forum : "We'll put out some updates as we get the time, but DaikonForge GUI is no longer for sale".

Based on the "as we get the time" answer, my question goes to Unity team. Since the last months, we're waiting for information about DF roadmap. Some people like me will maybe have to stop their game (if not their indie carrer !) because it will cost to much to start with another UI. But if at least we can have something official about the situation, we can explain the situation to our own customers, and see how to continue. If not, I'm afraid the asset store will no more be the great feature of Unity. Thanks in advance.

44. Archania

Archania

Even though it isn't for sale what is stopping you from using the version you have already?
    It makes no sense if you where fine using it before but can't any longer simply because they stopped selling it.

45. Colibri

Colibri

I understand your quot, and maybe I'm wrong, but I'm trying to respect the people who will buy my game and I don't want to sell it if I don't know if this asset is still supported. Plus I was not fine with the current version and was expecting an update about performance, as announced by the DF team itself. I'm only asking about an official situation to take the best decision, and I'm deeply sorry because I'm / was a strong supporter of the product ;-)

46. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

It may seem sudden, but in reality this situation has been brewing for a long time.
    As everybody knows Unity is working on their new GUI offering, uGUI. At this point, uGUI offers a dramatic improvement over the previous UnityGUI system, and is quite close to release to the extent that the GUI market in Unity just isn't what it used to be (I suspect most people are holding out for the 4.6 release). It's become quite clear to us lately that the market for GUI products has been waning, and third party GUI solutions are no longer sustainable for the long term.

Takuan will be posting a more detailed statement later on the DaikonForge forums after he gets off work.

(I'd also like to apologize for our lack of response on this thread - neither one of us appear to be getting any notifications from the Unity Forums for it).

47. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

Or notification from your forums either. No excuse for how you handled it. Might as well figure you will not get another customer for any of your products.

Hell all the GUI developers should have pulled theirs then... hmm, your not telling the truth maybe? More like you couldn't figure out how to get 2.0 as promised, and decided to quit

48. jerotas

jerotas

If that was true, why not just announce that you aren't willing to support / update the product anymore, give a slight discount because of that fact, put in a couple disclaimers (don't use this for mobile, and we don't support it any more) and call it good (leave on the Asset Store)? Some people would still buy it.

I don't understand why yanking it without telling anyone is better?

Takuan, please post a link to the post tonight in your other forum here, I would like to read it.

49. rorakin3

rorakin3

Yea, I would think it would have been much better to just be honest about the situation (e.g. not enough time to continue dev / support). Supposing that is the truth, then just discount the price a little bit say that on the product and say that it is not supported anymore rather than completely removing it. Seems like everyone is much better off by just being honest, Daikon, Unity, customers, etc...

50. TakuanDaikon

TakuanDaikon

I originally intended to write a lengthy reply outlining the multiple factors that went into this decision and why it all came to a head just recently, but after reading the latest posts I have decided to keep it short and simple...

DFGUI is simply no longer a financially viable product, and there is every reason to believe that the market for third-party GUI libraries will shrink even more drastically in the very near future.

After losing both people that were helping me, I would have to work more than 40 hours a week to earn less than 20% (on average) of what I would get from a regular job in order to keep this product going. I had thought that DFGUI being included in the Asset Store sales might turn things around and that the situation would be temporary, but it's obviously not going to be included in sales every month and I've got a family to feed.

Crunch time should be over within a few weeks, and I should at that point have the time to finish a short list of bug fixes and get an update out. While we do have an MVP version of DFGUI 2.0 for in-house use, it does not seem likely to be released at this point, and we may opt instead to try to back-port some of that code for a final update.