Search Unity

Daikon Forge GUI Library

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by TakuanDaikon, Aug 6, 2013.

1. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

You *should* have an option there if you open a script file from Unity (which opens up the whole solution in MD). I for instance get an "Assembly-CSharp Options" entry after opening a script from Unity.
    It looks like there was a similar bug in earlier versions of MonoDevelop, however (Project Options greyed out all the time, in addition to Build/Run). Could be related.

2. RudeFX

RudeFX

All I do is open up a script in Unity by double clicking it and it opens up in monodevelop, once I finish the script and press F7 or F8,and then I get the error in dfControl.cs. In every step, Project options are greyed out.

EDIT:
    Sorry just realized that there are 26 separete errors, all relating to the same im guessing...:sad:
    $errors.jpg

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  3. Jeremy Fuller

Jeremy Fuller

Are there any known issues with DF GUI and the webplayer? I've got a Rich Text Label, and it works just fine within Unity, but doesn't show up when I export to a webplayer.

I've also put two 3D elements inside the UI Root element (and assigned the GUI layer to them). The intent is that those elements render next to some DF labels. This all works perfectly within Unity, but the webplayer just doesn't render the 3D models that are on the GUI layer at all.

What's so different about the webplayer? I'm fairly new to Unity, so I probably missed something obvious.

Edit: This appears to be a positioning issue, actually. The elements that disappeared seem to have moved off-screen when the resolution changed. Will investigate.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  4. RudeFX

RudeFX

Morning all, I've started up, and wham! Got the same errors still... no surprize there...
    Does anybody know a work around instead of installing a different script editor?

Thanks.

5. Mistale

Mistale

Yes. Download and install the official mono-runtime (not at my computer now, but I think its 2.10). Open the Monodevelop preferences and go into the '.NET runtimes' entry. Browse for the installed mono runtime and mark it as default.

Wham bam, get ready to build in MD man :)

6. RudeFX

RudeFX

Darn it! I got kinda hyped when I read that, and yet again, I have failed...

Ok so I when to http://www.go-mono.com/mono-downloads/download.html and got the 2.10.x version (I even got the other 3.26 to try),
    but I cant see any type of exe or any other type of laucher. And that is the same when I search the files through Monodevelop .
    $mono.jpg

7. Mistale

Mistale

Oh, you were soo close... Just do the same procedure again, but when you've double-clicked mono's folder in the dialog, just press the "Open"-button in the lower right corner.

DO NOT try to select any sub-folder or file inside mono's folder, or you won't be able to press "Open".

Sorry for the late reply btw.

Best regards,

Anders

8. RudeFX

RudeFX

YOU SIR, ARE A LEGEND!
    Thank you very much!!!! That did it! I feel so relieved... I'm not a programmer you see, but I do make small scripts, and this has been driving me crazy for like 3 days now!

Thanks again Anders,
    CYA.

9. Mistale

Mistale

Happy to help :)

10. SteveJ

SteveJ

Hey all - been out of the loop on this product for a while. Is DFGUI now handling aspect ratio/resolution independence? I think it was a "coming soon" last time I checked in, months ago.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  11. SteveJ

SteveJ

Also, I'm taking a look at some of the example scenes, and a lot of them seem to be crashing Unity (not responding on MacOS requiring a Force Quit).

Some examples that cause this freezing of Unity:

Drag and Drop
    Radial Menu
    Rich Text

Using Unity 4.3.4. It happens every time I try to run those scenes.

12. Aurecon_Unity

Aurecon_Unity

Hi TakuanDaikon, I purchased DFGUI last week and so far I'm mightily impressed.

I'm not a coder, but I was hoping you could point me in the right direction to slightly change the functionality of one of your examples.

In the 'Joystick' touch demo, I would like to alter the behavior of the Character Motor to be a flying camera instead of a walking camera.

I tried setting the gravity to 0, but that just lets me walk off an object into space and not fall. Instead, I would like to make the camera actually fly into the air if that is the direction I'm facing.

Again, my apologies as I'm not a coder, but I suspect the answer somewhere in the CharacterMotorCS script. Just a nudge in the right direction would be much appreciated!

13. TakuanDaikon

TakuanDaikon

I didn't know about that option, thank you for pointing that out!

14. TakuanDaikon

TakuanDaikon

I cannot reproduce this issue. It might be helpful to see the editor logs, if you can send them.

15. TakuanDaikon

TakuanDaikon

CharacterMotorCS is actually not one of the scripts we wrote, we borrowed that from elsewhere (wiki). It is essentially a straightforward port of the Unity CharacterMotor.js script. I'm not terribly familiar with the internal workings of either version, to be honest.

I'm not quite sure how you'd go about changing it to be used for flying, since essentially everything about that script is geared toward walking/running, and I assume that you'd need to change a pretty substantial portion of the script to make such a fundamental change.

16. Arbelzapf

Arbelzapf

I am using the Vuforia plugin for an augmented reality app. Since I have some free time to waste, I decided to toy around with a gui for it (I haven't really done anything with DFGUI before, so I apologize if I am missing something important).

My problem is: As soon as I add a tween to any component, I can no longer see my augmentations.

The render camera is set to Vuforia's ARCamera prefab and it seems to work nicely. However, when I added a pingpong animation to a panel to test out tweens, the positioning of the AR camera was not working anymore. (It would still recognize image markers and act accordingly, but the camera will not be repositioned at all). Simply disabling the tween component will make it work again

Do you know what could be causing this? I need to fix this!

17. Deathnote

Deathnote

hi, can i create a minimap use DF-gui ?

18. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

I have my Game view set to 16:10, and my GUImanager to 1680x1050. It looks fine until I hit the 'Play' button, in which the positions and scale of my GUI elements gets re-positioned and resized, compacting everything. What am I missing?

I even tried a clean scene with only Daikon installed. Below are the results. The first screenshot everything looks fine, but as soon as I hit the Play button I get the second screenshot, like it zooms into the top left corner.

Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  19. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

Another question; I have a slider and three progression bars. When the slider is at 100%, I want the 1st progression bar to be at 100%, 2nd to be at 50%, and the 3rd to be at 0%. I can easily sync 100% to 100%, so the 1st to the slider, but how can you subtract or average the other two progression bars using Data Binding?

Say the slider is at 25%; I would like the 1st to be at 25%, the 2nd to be the average, and the 3rd at 75%.

Ideally I would like to use Playmaker to store this data.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  20. CJR-Gaming

CJR-Gaming

Hey Adamz, maybe i can help with your question about the sizes. The play window in your editor is set to free aspect and I'm going to guess that is is actually about 1/4th of your actual screen size. Because you don't have "Maximize on play" checked, it is trying to fit the 1680x1050 into the visible space. If you check "Maximize on Play" it should try to fit to your full screen and things should appear the way you expect. The play window is only going to display as much as it can even tho it shows more than that when you aren't playing. If you expand that window while it is playing, you should see more and more until you reach full screen and see what you would expect.

21. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

Thanks! I just figured that out moments ago... Is there a way you can have the game window scale to the correct proportion so I don't have to maximize on play?

22. jmatthews

jmatthews

Make sure your elements are anchored to the appropriate screen border and you should get the behaviour you're after.(IIRC)

23. bajeo88

bajeo88

I have a quick question which i have been struggling to get working for a while now. Im trying to bind a property to a dfLabel at runtime but it doesnt seem to work even thou in the inspector the connection appears to have been made. Are the following steps correct or am i missing something?

//Previously dfGUI is loaded via resources and has all components used below
    dfPropertyBinding propertyBinder = dfGUI.GetComponent<dfPropertyBinding>();
    if(null != propertyBinder)
    {
    propertyBinder.DataSource.Component = this;
    propertyBinder.DataSource.MemberName = "m_iInterestingNum";

propertyBinder.DataTarget.Component = dfGUI.GetComponent<dfLabel>();
    propertyBinder.DataTarget.MemberName = dfGUI.GetComponent<dfLabel>().Text;

propertyBinder.Bind();
    }

Is this the correct use, i wasnt sure so i added the Bind() command but appeared to have little/no effect. Both dataTarget and Source are monobehaviour classes and all properties i am trying to bind are public. Any help would be great!

24. jmatthews

jmatthews

be sure and call .UnBind() first. A bit counter-intuitive.

25. Deathnote

Deathnote

can i create minimap use df-gui ?

26. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

@Daikon,

Would it be possible to give us an ETA on some of the features coming in the next update.
    Main concern is performance on Mobile.

Cheers.

27. Thavron

Thavron

The Game View can't display a resolution that's greater than its window size. It is always 1:1px (open its Stats to verify the active resolution).
    But you can use my Editor extension xARM to preview high resolutions scaled down to fit into a small window or even multiple resolutions at the same time (etc.).

28. Deepestblue

Deepestblue

Hi there,

I have a weird problem: some of the examples cause the Unity Editor (v. 4.3.4f1) to freeze entirely right upon starting them. The project only consists of the Daikon Forge package (v 1.0.14 hotfix 2), I do not have problems with my other projects and there are not any other (visible) problems with my computer. It's the examples:

"Adding and Removing Controls Dynamically"
    "Drag and Drop Example"
    "Radial Menu"
    "Rich Text Example"
    "Tooltip"

The other examples work fine. Do you maybe have any idea what could cause this? The Unity Editor freezes and I need to kill the process in the Task Manager and restart the Editor in order to regain access.

Thanks.

29. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey Taikuon, check your PMs. Also, I can't seem to find an email for you, is there one?

30. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

@Daikon,

I ran the profiler on the ActionBar example and found that GUI.Repaint is being called with GUIUtility.BeginGUI() and GUIUtility.EndGUI().

Can you help to decipher what these calls are for. Are these related to Unity's Gui system ?

$DaikonForgeOnGui.png

31. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

@Daikon,

Bug Report:

I am mainly developing on Mobile and have to say that the Daikon Controls are very difficult to interact with using the finger. Most of the time the DF controls do not respond on my IOS devices( Iphone, Ipad). I have to tap multiple times before anything happens. This is really a bummer because
    Daikon is a very designed package and has lots of great features, it would be so awesome if the user experience on Mobile was better supported.

P.S. I switched over from NGUI but now I cannot finish my Mobile App due to this problem.

Please make this a priority.

Cheers.

32. Deathnote

Deathnote

why u ignorit me ???? Can i Create a minimap use DF-GUI ?????????? ??????

33. Parallel_

Parallel_

Ask on their support forum, for a faster answer : http://www.daikonforge.com/dfgui/forums/
    Maybe explain what your minimap needs are. As far as I know there is no 'out of the box' minimap feature, you'd have to add own code.

34. Deathnote

Deathnote

th, i mean a style, functional its own code i know it

35. crafTDev

crafTDev

Is takuan on vacation? There hasn't been a reply in this thread for a week...does anyone know the support email, can't find it anywhere on website?

36. Parallel_

Parallel_

From what I gather: Takuan and Masaaki are super over-overworked at the moment and can barely keep up with their own forum.

37. jeroenvdv

jeroenvdv

I can't find the free version anymore. Is there still a trial available somewhere?

38. jerotas

jerotas

They also raised the price from $75 to $90. They probably did both of these to slow down the influx of new users a little bit while they scramble to keep up with support requests. Lots of authors do this in such a scenario.

Hold tight, they will be back and I'm confident they'll make this great performing on mobile eventually.

39. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

I am working mainly on Mobile.
    Been crossing my fingers that Great Mobile Performance is coming soon. I switched over from NGUI and have made many requests to other asset makers to add support for Daikon. Due to the Mobile performance, project is now is on shaky grounds.

40. jerotas

jerotas

Yeah, we would have done the same except that we were already over half done with the UI with NGUI, so we held off switching over, although we've purchased Daikon since it was on sale. And then we came to know of the bad mobile performance. I guess we're lucky.

I feel confident Daikon will figure it out soon due to the otherwise awesome quality of this product. But it's possible that NGUI man only figured it out after he worked for Unity, pessimistically speaking. I wouldn't hold your breath and put all your eggs in one basket if I were you. I'd give yourself a cutoff date at which you may decide to temporarily switch back if you don't hear or see something positive out of Daikon on that front. Just to be safe. I wouldn't want your project to fail or get put on ice.

But ultimately I hope Daikon steps up with mobile awesomeness!

41. AllonVR

AllonVR

Hi there,

Just wanted to know what the deal is with the following exceptions that are constantly thrown:
    - Generic-Typed enumerators not work properly on iOS. Please use a for() loop instead of foreach()
    - Generic-Typed enumerators not work properly on iOS. Please use a for() loop instead of foreach()

Am I expected to rewrite a 1000+ line script because I am developing for iOS?
    I was hoping that mobile support was included, as promised.

42. castor76

castor76

Umm.. I am not sure if I am dumb or GUI is broken, but I can't get word wrap to work.

For a simple label control, toggling the word warp doesn't do anything.

Ofcourse I have enough vertical space to display the words and there are no auto resize options checked.

Very strange... no word wrapping for me :(

43. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

When I am trying to use it on ios it says the following.
    Exception: Generic-Typed enumerators not work properly on iOS. Please use a for() loop instead of foreach()

Its the top grossing thing in the asset store.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  44. Velo222

Velo222

Castor76 is your label generated or next to the edge of the screen? If so, try limiting it's width (or height depending) by setting the label sprites/texture "max width" to a static number. This might cause the label to "word wrap" instead of endlessly increasing it's size until it reaches across the entire screen.

I had the same issue where I thought the "word wrap" option wasn't working, but it was because it never needed to word wrap, because the label sprite's width was increasing instead of stopping at a certain value.

45. GiantGrey

GiantGrey

just to let you all know! new version 1.0.15 is out on the asset store. I didn't had the time to test it, but it seems they've optimized alot for mobile!
    For faster support i would recommend to go the official daikon forge forums.

46. castor76

castor76

No, my case is different.

My label does not increase its length endlessly. It has limited bounded size , but it doesn't work at all. I have experiment it a lot and I found that only very very sometimes.. it works but then when I edit the text , (ie delete the text and re-enter them) wrap doesn't work again.

Posted bug report on the forum.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  47. bigzer

bigzer

Hi,

We've been waiting for ages for an answer concerning the worldspace UI issues Daikon forge faces. We spend time preparing repro projects and described everything carefully to help you as much as possible fixing your bugs and shortcomings fast.

Although the initial feedbacks have been fine, the last answer I got from you guys was;
    I will be looking into this problem today and will see what I can do to either resolve the issue or come up with a better workaround.

That was the 4th January . Since then I've patiently and politely bumped the post every three weeks or so and haven't got any answer at all.

I find it very rude and unprofessional to ignore a customer like that. It felt even worse when I saw other posts being answered regularly.

As a user of a third party package we are hoping to not only get updates and fixes but also simple answers like “no we can't do it” or “no it takes too much time to do” so we could take measures on the development of our game.

Could you please tell us what's going on so we can get over it and take appropriate measures?
    He forum post is visible here;
    http://www.daikonforge.com/dfgui/fo...ving-strangely-when-using-an-existing-camera/

Thank you.

48. castor76

castor76

This is typical problem for making an asset store item that is too big to support either by one or few developers. The product itself is complicated enough for potentially many issues cropping up after the release, and the support can't follow the demands enough... I have couple of other assets with the same issues.

49. Arbelzapf

Arbelzapf

I'd like to bump this question. Just installed the update but the bevaviour did not change. Camera rotation works as expected, but the position cannot be updated according to the marker's position. So that's why I cannot see the augmentations when tweens are active.
    Can someone please help me?

50. Krileon

Krileon

Evaluation link doesn't seam to work. I'd love to give this a try. I'm currently using CoherentUI, which is great, but my biggest issue is data/event binding is a pain to work with. I'd like to simplify my UI usage and am hoping Daikon Forge GUI can accomplish this, but as I'm already invested into CoherentUI I'd like to try Daikon Forge before purchasing to know for sure if it can meet my needs.

Edit: Nevermind, seams this was answered pretty well on the forums.

http://www.daikonforge.com/dfgui/forums/topic/free-version-removed/#post-8678
    http://www.daikonforge.com/dfgui/forums/topic/free-trial-version/#post-8675

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014