Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

D for dilemma

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Deleted User, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hello!

Well, my friend and i have an idead about a game and started thinking about our "step by step" plan. First what we thought was this game will be published as a Kickstart project. Then we realized that we don't have any 2d designer so we decided we'll cooperate with freelancers,make a demo version and then publish it on Kickstarter but for paying freelancer we need money. As you already understood money should be crowdfounded. So it builds up an endless cycle (I think it's useless to publish a project on Kickstarter only with text and without any screenshots ) . We're students and don't earn anything so crowdfunding is our only way. Maybe i'm wrong about publishing "text only" project. What would you, as a game developer, do on our place?o_O

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

You're going to need to earn money and you're going to need to do it outside of Kickstarter. Looks like you're either going to need to start selling things or you're going to have to get part time jobs to cover making a minimum viable product.

3. snacktime

snacktime

The biggest mistake you can make is to go out to the media too early. You only get one shot at that. If you can't do it well, you are better off holding off.

And if it really matters, who say's students don't earn money? I was working from high school all the way through college.

4. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Use place holder art, and start building. There is nothing stopping you from starting to build right. Get something working and something to show, them worry about hiring and getting funding.

Ryiah, Ony, Deleted User and 2 others like this.
  5. neginfinity

neginfinity

Option 1: Get bunch of freelance contracts or get a job and save enough money to afford a subcontractor/freelancer.
    Option 2: Get rid of features that require subcontractor/freelancer.

I.e. either find money to afford a freelancer. OR remove features that require freelancers.

Just for the love of cthulhu, do not borrow money to hire a freelancer. Use the cash you have and earned yourself.

6. ADNCG

ADNCG

Depending on your country of origin, you may be eligible for government funding. Here in Quebec, there's an entity who's purpose is to fuel the economic development of the province, basically they help fund entrepreneurs. Possibly there's something similar for you.

That being said, you still need to convince them that you're worth funding :)

Ryiah, Martin_H and Deleted User like this.
  7. sebastiansgames

sebastiansgames

I think some excellent points have been made in this thread! As someone a little older, I’d also say that while lack of money is a disadvantage, you (probably) have two enormous advantages: time and youth! Being relatively young (probably at least) means you have a host of other young people out there who could become part of your community — maybe fellow students who could help you do testing or brainstorming. Try getting your peers to give you some time when you’re out of school and everyone’s too busy working full time. It’s not easy.

And you might not think you have time now, but compared to when you’re a working stiff, you have tons. Believe me. That’s a huge resource. Maybe use it to learn one part of the pipeline. If you’re not artists, learn to code. If you can get some code working as a beta you could possibly excite some talented artists to join your team. I wouldn’t underestimate these advantages. As an older dude squeezing my game dev in on nights and weekends I’m jealous of those still in school who have the freedom to take the time to learn and experiment. Good luck!!

Deleted User and Martin_H like this.
  8. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I've been watching how video games have been doing on Kickstarter and Indiegogo, and the vast majority of them, even ones that look pretty good, don't go anywhere. I suspect the few that do well do a pretty massive social media push to get extra eyes on it, and have already built up a following for the upcoming game before their crowd funding campaign even starts. That and they already look great before they even start their campaign.

I'm afraid that if you're going to try to start a crowd funding campaign without any of that then it will be dead on arrival.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  9. fire7side

fire7side

There are a lot of pretty cheap assets on the asset store. Some of them look pretty good. It's placeholder art, but would definitely get the idea across. Any business is going to need some start up capital. You could also go to the Blender forum and put up an add for some character art and animations, but make sure they understand it's for a game. Get used to it, a business always involves financial risk.

10. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Develop every possible thing you can without spending a dime. When all that is ready, show it to the people who have the money.

If you don't go in that order, you'll look like hacks and have a hard time overcoming that first impression down the line.