Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Cydia Anyone?

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by Taintspore, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Taintspore

Taintspore

Haven't looked to deeply into this yet, but according to a message I recieved from my provider and this post jailbreaking is now "OK". Implications for the Cydia store as a legal/viable option possibly?

Thoughts? Comments? Speculation? More importantly possible clarification?

Edit:

According to the message I got (accidentally deleted, will try to get exact wording from girlfriend's phone in the morning) from my provider it said something along the lines that Apple can't disallow non-appstore apps anymore, hence my sudden interest in Cydia.

Edit:

Looks like we (Canada) might go the same way

PC Magainzine article on the subject

It's about friggin' time.

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

apple never could technically disallow it.
    But they can just blacklist your applications on the appstore and void your developer contract and thats what you pretty surely will face if you play smarty pant on that end.

3. Taintspore

Taintspore

That's more or less what I was thinking. I'm curious how that (blacklisting) would stand up in court though (assuming courts were fair and "unbiased"). It seems a bit murky, it's not something I'd really be willing to try unless it were spelled out fairly plainly that it was ok.

4. Dreamora

Dreamora

You agreed to the EULA and TOS of apple as such it will stand rock solid. if not upfront then after you met Apples Lawyer brigade ;)

5. Taintspore

Taintspore

Good point, I keep forgetting I agreed to that thing :p

Is it possible that the revisions to the DMCA could 'force' (the courts are not enforcing this apparently) Apple to have to rewrite parts of the TOS and EULA?

6. Dreamora

Dreamora

no

the new ruling does not touch the app store at all.
    Actually it does not touch apple in any way cause apple never has taken any steps against jailbreaking iphones.
    they use the frighten to death strategy: we will void your warranty if you jailbreak it. and thats what they will continue to do as thats not touched by the change.

the only thing that now really has changed is that apple can't go out to attempt to shut down cydia should it become a threat to them

7. Taintspore

Taintspore

So basically Apple can throw a hissy fit and ban you from the clubhouse, but can't release the hounds anymore?

Meh, doesn't seem like that big of a deal then. My curiosity about Cydia has been satisfied, thanks mate.

Aside: In order to get Cydia working on non-liberated phones there would have to be a Cydia App available on the Appstore no? Not that it would ever happen but much lol'ing would ensue.

8. Dreamora

Dreamora

cydia or anything comparable will never happen outside of jailbroken phones.

but thanks to apples ignorant and blattantly stupid move killing all 2nd gen devices with the craptastic os4 performance I guess we will see much more jailbroken phones ...
    Even I jailbroke mine so I get control over all the S*** that apple is running in the background (the reworked notification stuff is one of the 2 major things that drain performance but especially battery life. now after jailbreak with multitask and background image disabled, my battery life is back to normal even with notifications enabled, which before lead to less than 24h standby runtime!)

9. macbatra97979

macbatra97979