Search Unity

Script Inspector 3 - World's Fastest IDE for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Flipbookee, Jun 2, 2012.

?

What would you like to see in the next update?

Poll closed May 17, 2018.
  1. Line numbers

140 vote(s)
    36.9%
  2. Code folding

234 vote(s)
    61.7%
  3. More color schemes

43 vote(s)
    11.3%
  4. Customizable color schemes

71 vote(s)
    18.7%
  5. Search functionality

152 vote(s)
    40.1%
  6. Lower price :D

104 vote(s)
    27.4%
  7. No thanks, it's fine as it is :)

11 vote(s)
    2.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yes, that was the plan since the beginning, just I never got that far to start working on shaders auto-complete. I'd love to get on that too, so yes - one day...

2. ok8596

ok8596

Hi, it seems a issue with SI3 in Unity 2018.3.0b7.
    Auto complete stops typing next words.

ex. If I type a "I", Auto complete window opens and suggest "if" and so on.
    Normally, I can type next word "f". but it not accept any input in Unity2018.3
    does this problem seems in only me?

Sehee26 and Flipbookee like this.
  3. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

It doesn’t sound like something only you would experience because there were changes how input events are processed in the recent Unity beta versions, so that may be related and I’m sure easy to fix. I’ll check...

ok8596 likes this.
  4. Fattie

Fattie

Mac disaster ...........

With the latest Unity / latest SI3 ..

I am getting dramatic slowing and indeed often "beachball spinning"

When I'm working in SI3, it will occasionally seeming stop and compile? or something else?

It takes about as long or in fact longer than when I "compile" (ie by saving a script in question).

The beachball seems to come up now and then; more often if I have been using Unity/SI3 longer .. the beachball stays up for a long time (30 secs .. more)

I will try to make a video and get more information, for now I'm just reporting it. If course, it could be some unrelated problem, IDK at this stage.......................

Flipbookee likes this.
  5. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

In what version of Unity, please? Could you by any chance share your project with me? I'd only need the .cs scripts and nothing else. If possible, that would be best way to help me find out is it related to Si3 or not and also fix that if it is related. I promise all of them will be deleted after that!

6. Fattie

Fattie

Easy to share, will do in the morning. Unfortunately it's happening in many projects :/ Thanks

Simply the latest unity build, and it's been happening for a couple builds ..

Flipbookee likes this.
  7. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Okay, thanks so much! In meantime, I’ll try to reproduce that with some of my projects and I’ll let you know if I succeed so you don’t have to send me anything...

8. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

For what it's worth, I've been using Unity 2018.2.8, also on a Mac, and I haven't observed this problem. I've just downloaded 2018.2.14f1 (the current non-beta version), so I'll keep an eye out for this there.

(@Fattie, it'd be helpful for posterity if you would report the actual version number you're using; "the latest build" won't mean anything a few months from now, and even now it's not clear if you mean the latest beta or the latest non-beta.)

Flipbookee likes this.
  9. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks @JoeStrout! I've been using the latest beta this whole weekend and I didn't notice that issue, so I'm assuming @Fattie meant the latest non-beta version.

10. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Any news @Fattie? I couldn’t reproduce the issue on my end.

11. Xype

Xype

I keep getting the following error, using Unity 2018.3.0b10 (yeah I know a beta and if its beta specific you can't upload a fix, but maybe you already know the fix and can provide me a workaround for the moment?)

https://pastebin.com/47edLt1Z

I put it in pastebin because it is a lengthy error and I hate wall of texts in forums lol.

It doesn't seem to actually kill anything, it pops up after some imports, and any save and compile, but I can clear it and everything seems fine, just annoying.

Flipbookee likes this.
  12. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yes, I have a fix for that and I’ll send it as a private message in a minute. I’m also preparing that for a release tonight, so it would be great if you could alarm me if you encounter some issues with it.

JoeStrout likes this.
  13. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey, hey, all you fast code editing lovers! I've got some good news for you :)

Script Inspector 3
    version 3.0.23
    got just released on the AssetStore

Go, grab it from http://u3d.as/2ZC and don't forget to post a review if you haven't done that by now.

This version adds only a few improvements and small fixes for the released versions of Unity, but is full of compatibility fixes for those who want to use Si3 in Unity 2018.3 beta. The changes are massive, so don't even try to use an older Si3 version with the beta - it won't work ;) and to be honest, there's more work to be done to fully support all the changes, but this release addresses the most critical ones for now.

New in version 3.0.23:
    - Added "Edit this Editor class" context menu on MonoBehaviour-s shown in the Inspector - thanks @pdyxs
    - Added support for nameof contextual keyword in C# 6.0 - thanks @Rocktavious
    - Added Cmd-S shortcut in Unity 2018.3+ on OS X
    - Added "Reset SI Tabs Position" in the Si3 main menu - thanks @Fattie
    - Added "Save All and Reload Assemblies" to main Si3 menu as a workaround for bug in handling shortcuts in Unity on OS X - thanks @halley
    - Added "Close All SI Tabs" in the Si3 main menu workaround for a bug in handling shortcuts in Unity on OS X - thanks @halley
    - Added an option to disable the auto-indent feature - thanks @nomax5
    - Excluded code analysis on scripts in WebGLTemplates and StreamingAssets folders
    - Disabled expanding tab titles on mouseover in Unity 2018.3+
    - Fixed Unity crash on OS X on hiding tooltip windows - thanks @Fattie
    - Fixed auto-docking Si3 tabs in Unity 2018.3+
    - Fixed use of members of a type nested in a generic class - thanks @dsafew
    - Fixed error on Find All References with .Net 4.6+ - thanks @sngdan
    - Fixed freezing on auto-scroll in Unity 2018.3
    - Fixed main menu keyboard shortcuts in Unity 2018.3 - thanks @xxhaissamxx
    - Fixed Si3 popup windows stealing focus in Unity 2018.3.0b7+ - thanks @ok8596
    - Fixed closing Si3 tooltip windows in Unity 2018.3.0b10
    - Fixed a NullReferenceException on reloading assemblies - thanks @thienhaflash
    - Fixed error on reading certain assemblies in Unity 2017.3+ - thanks @JoeStrout
    - Fixed an IndexOutOfRange exception - thanks @thienhaflash
    - Fixed resolving assembly references for assemblies loaded in reflection-only context
    - Fixed error on CreateInstance<T> in Unity 4
    - Optimized reflecting all members of types defining extension methods

Thanks to all of you who helped getting this update done!

Happy coding :cool:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    sngdan, AthrunVLokiz and JoeStrout like this.
  14. ElevenGame

ElevenGame

Hey there Flipbookee,

I like the latest Version! :) I just noticed in 2018.3.0b11 that the autocomplete popup draws behind the Script Inspector window when it is not docked.. Maybe it has to do with the focus stealing fix you mentioned. Anyway, it works fine when the Script Inspector window is docked.

Flipbookee likes this.
  15. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Oh, interesting :) I'll check that!

16. LudumCor

LudumCor

I read somewhere that does not work with two-bit characters (for example: Japanesあいうえお) is this still true?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
    Flipbookee likes this.
  17. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hi @Vykx! Yes, that's still true. Asian characters are wider than the width of other characters in monospaced fonts and Si3 doesn't display them correctly yet. It is still possible to edit Asian text, but it's a bit tricky because the cursor is not aligned with the wider characters... This is something I've been looking forward to fix for a longer time, but it isn't an easy job to do because most of the code was written assuming the width of all monospace font characters is equal. I've started changing part by part of that code, but there's still about half of that job still not finished.

18. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

YAY! Script Inspector 3 has made a cameo appearance in yet another tutorial video, this time for an interesting visual programming tool by Winx Production called Logic Forge :cool:

Ask @winxalex everything you'd like to know about Logic Forge (as I wouldn't know the answers - Logic Forge is still new to me) or just post in its forum thread: https://forum.unity.com/threads/568720/

winxalex likes this.
  19. dpizzle

dpizzle

I'm using a Mac and 2018.3 RC1. All key presses seemed to be passed to both the script inspector window as I type and the scene view at the same time. You can see this if you have scene view open next to a SI window. Things go a bit crazy in the scene view and then it eventually beach balls. I do not have the companion native plugin installed. Is there any work around for this at the moment?

Flipbookee likes this.
  20. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Okay, I’ll have to check that and I’ll let you know...

21. dpizzle

dpizzle

Thanks, really appreciate you looking into it, Still exists in final 2018.3 f2, that was released today. Steps to reproduce:
    1. New project, install SI
    2. Have scene view open and an SI editor window open.
    3. Select a gameobject in Hierarchy
    4. Press the letter f in SI editor.
    You'll see that it both types an F and frame selects the gameobject at the same time.

Flipbookee likes this.
  22. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks for the detailed repro steps! Finding the right solution for this issue was tricky, so I had to look into Unity Reference Source and see how they are dealing with the same issue. I'll do the same now, but this isn't a quick and simple change that I can post here, so I'll have to release the fix as another update for Si3, either tonight or tomorrow if it takes a bit more time... Stay tuned!

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  23. dpizzle

dpizzle

No worries, take your time. It seems to work if I close the scene view, so I'm good for awhile until you have time to fix. Thanks again.

Oh, if there's anyway to make Command-Z (undo) work while you're at it, that'd be killer. Command-S (save) does seem to work.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  24. Sehee26

Sehee26

Hi, i have the same issue in Unity 2018.3.0f2.

Flipbookee likes this.
  25. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Right, it's a common issue for everyone else, but I've fixed that and I'll release the new version today along with a couple of other fixes, most of them related to the changes introduced in Unity 2018.3...

AthrunVLokiz and Sehee26 like this.
  26. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Ah @Sehee26, no wait - I had to take my morning coffee first, I guess :p that issue was already fixed in the latest release version of Si3, so just update from the Asset Store and enjoy. :cool: (also, don't forget to post a review if you haven't done that yet)

However, there are more fixes coming later today, so please subscribe to this thread and watch for my posts announcing new releases here. I'll add a new feature to Si3 that checks for updates automatically in one of the next updates, so then you'll always know if you need to update it...

Sehee26 likes this.
  27. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

(Re. making Si3 pick the possible completion that matches what you typed in case, over a match that differs in case.)

Any news on this? It's driving me bonkers. Every time I type "transform" and Si3 changes it to "Transform" I want to scream...

(I'm using 3.0.23, November 2018.)

Flipbookee likes this.
  28. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Will you make a package manager version of SI3?
    So it can be updated from the package manager, that would be nice

Flipbookee likes this.
  29. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yes, I fixed that! :) The update should be released by tomorrow.

JoeStrout likes this.
  30. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

To be honest, I don't know how to do that, but it sounds interesting enough for me to investigate that. I didn't even know Asset Store publishers are allowed to do that...

31. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

32. mgsvevo

mgsvevo

Hi Flipbookee, i was just wondering if you've fixed in the new update the problem that make autocomplete popup draws behind the Script Inspector window when it is not docked .

Flipbookee likes this.
  33. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yes, I've fixed that and I'm working on publishing that right now - it should be online in a few hours...

By the way, thanks for your amazing review!!! :cool:

mgsvevo and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  34. mgsvevo

mgsvevo

That's awesome :D, Thank you too for your amazing work!! :cool:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    Flipbookee likes this.
  35. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey, hey, there's some great news for you folks!

Script Inspector 3
    version 3.0.24
    got just released on the Asset Store

This is why you should grab it right now:
    - Made the Auto-Complete Great Again - thanks @JoeStrout
    (just kidding ;) I actually made it greater than ever)
    - Added option to disable triple-click line selection - thanks @Kougasama
    - Re-enabled keyboard shortcut hints in context menus on OS X
    - Allowed showing find/replace terms in history lists even when they contain an underscore
    - Fixed Si3 popup windows appearing behind its floating tabs in Unity 2018.3+ - thanks @ElevenGame et al.
    - Fixed opening Script Inspector Preferences in Unity 2018.3+
    - Fixed leaking typed-in characters as global shortcuts in Unity 2018.3+ - thanks @dpizzle
    - Fixed lost selection on pressing Cmd/Ctrl key while dragging mouse to select text - thanks @Kougasama
    - Fixed inconsistent caret placement on mouse clicks - thanks @lcs_tlf

Comments and suggestions are welcome, as always.

Enjoy! :cool:

36. mgsvevo

mgsvevo

Hi Flipbookee ,When i've updated to the new version Unity tells me that there's "nothing to import! all assets from this package are already in your project"
    So i've deleted the old script inspector 3 folder and import again from the store but when i go to "Window>Script Inspector 3>About..." i get a window tells me i'm in version 3.0.23
    Either i'm doing something wrong or you have uploaded the old version by mistake to the asset store
    or this is just a problem in the asset store that he hasn't yet updated the asset but updated the number of version

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    Flipbookee likes this.
  37. FireMutant

FireMutant

Hi Flipbookee,

Same problem with only getting version 3.0.23 after update. My update did report import/update new files and recompile, but it still says version 3.0.23 and I have still have the problem of the autocomplete appearing behind Script Inspector if the window is not docked.

Could be a Unity store problem. I'll try again tomorrow.

Thanks.

BTW, using Unity 2018.3.0f2 on Windows 10 64 bit.

Flipbookee likes this.
  38. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

I was just about to start a rant about the Asset Store, but... I think I did upload the old version (I have no idea how and why) so I just uploaded the right one now again. I had to change the version to 3.0.24f on the Asset Store only, while Si3 will report version 3.0.24 (without the 'f'),

Sorry about the troubles :oops:

Please update again and let me know whether it download the correct version now.

punk, mgsvevo and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  39. mgsvevo

mgsvevo

Everything works perfectly fine now, Thank you once again for all your hard work! :D

Flipbookee likes this.
  40. FireMutant

FireMutant

Yayyy! Everything works. The world is right again. ;)

Thanks for fixing it so fast!

Flipbookee likes this.
  41. RainbowWhale

RainbowWhale

I would like to transfer the first bracket to the second line when I press the Enter. There is no such option in the settings (There are only for unity methods.). Or did I miss something? I really need this option...

Flipbookee likes this.
  42. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

If I understand what you mean, you want the opening bracket (when it is at the end of a non-empty line) to move to the next line. Currently, only the closing bracket moves on Enter to the third line and the feature you want will come with the auto-formatting feature, of course, when I add that to Si3... Unless you really, really cannot work without that feature, then I could probably find a temporary solution for that quickly?

43. RainbowWhale

RainbowWhale

I want as in the Visual Studio, when I enter the opening bracket, a space is automatically put, then an opening bracket, another space, then a cursor and then a closing bracket. If, after this, I press the Enter, the opening bracket is moved to the second line, the cursor to the third and the closing bracket to the fourth line.
    Of course, I can work without it, but I am used to specific formatting of the code, and this will be requested at my job (and it's just so easy). Now I have to run the VS and press the K+D there, before showing the code to my boss or have to do the formatting of the code myself, but it takes time.
    Sorry for my English...

Flipbookee likes this.
  44. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

I see... Yes, that's happening in VS because of the auto-formatting feature and it would work very similar in Si3, once it's implemented. Until then, you'd only have to press Enter before opening a bracket and you'll get the formatting you wanted, but yes, I understand that's slightly different than the way you'd prefer it to work.

I've been receiving more and more requests recently for the auto-formatting feature, so I'll start adding that very soon.

45. RainbowWhale

RainbowWhale

We will look forward to it! :)

Flipbookee likes this.
  46. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

For now, try just pressing ENTER at the end of the line instead of a space. In other words, you would press ENTER, {, ENTER, and find yourself in exactly the same position (since Si3 inserts the closing brace and indents for you) that VS puts you in after typing SPACE, {, ENTER.

I know it's not how you're used to doing it, but try it — it's the same number of keystrokes (if I understand correctly), and it works now.:)

Flipbookee likes this.
  47. RainbowWhale

RainbowWhale

Yes, I already understood, thanks.:)

Flipbookee likes this.
  48. BigRedSwitch

BigRedSwitch

Just thought I should let you know that ScriptInspector3 seems to be making my Unity Editor VERY unstable. To a point that it is practically unusable. I'm using the latest version of Unity on a 2017 MacBook Pro, 16GB Ram, 3.1GHz processor.

Flipbookee likes this.
  49. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Sure, you should let me know because I’m not aware of that...

Can I get some more info please? What is your version of Si3 and in which way it makes Unity unstable? Are there any errors in the Console? Or if Unity crashes, could you send me the related crash logs? You’ll find them here:
    ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/

Thanks for reporting this! I’ll check, but I may not be able to do much without some more details.

BigRedSwitch likes this.
  50. RainbowWhale

RainbowWhale

Sometimes keyboard shortcuts stop working. (Ctrl+C, Ctrl+F etc.)