Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Maestro Midi Player Tool Kit - Good news for your rhythm game !

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by BachmannT, Apr 14, 2018.

1. maidilakbar

maidilakbar

Hello BachmannT,

Thanks for your libs. so much easy to understand and well documented.
    But, i still have problem with the libs sound. There are no balance with distortion guitar sound and the drum sound.
    The drum sound too soft compared with guitar sound, is it because of GM Bank sound.?

Can i set the GM Bank to original MIDI sound.?

Best Regards,
    Aidil

2. BachmannT

BachmannT

Hello Aidil
    Thank for your encouragement, I'm happy that you like this product.
    For your question, yes the sound quality is depending on the Soundfont selected. There is a lot of Soundfont with differents goals..
    But it's possible also to adapt the volume of the midi on each notes. You need a Midi editor and a lot of patience !

Best Regards
    Thierry

3. maidilakbar

maidilakbar

Hello BachmannT,

Thanks for the fast response.
    I tried playing a music midi file and I thought it got the wrong tempo when playing compared to using the mac midi player (GarageBand).
    Is my file not support for this libs.?

(I attached the midi file to test)

Best Regards,
    Aidil

Attached Files:

4. BachmannT

BachmannT

Strange, on my PC, the speed is the same that others sequencers.
    What version of MPTK are you using ?
    Have you check the parameters "Speed" in the inspector ? a normal value must be 1.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  5. BachmannT

BachmannT

Hello
    I have checked with a test midi file on MacOS: the speed is ok. Please, try on your desktop with the midi file Test 4-4. The length must be 6 seconds.
    Best Regards
    Thierry MacMidiPlayerTest.png

Attached Files:

6. PsiloCybian

PsiloCybian

Does it support sf3 ?

7. BachmannT

BachmannT

Hello
    No it doesn't. But don't be worry, Unity transform wave to vorbis (compressed wave). See snapshot bellow.
    Also, with the Pro version, MPTK analyses your Midi files and removes waves not used.
    BR.
    upload_2019-4-6_12-23-28.png

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  8. kylerobertbradley

kylerobertbradley

Hello, I have been looking at your tool kit for a few months now and I think it is right for me, but I am not sure.

Is there a seperate email I can send more information about my application, so that you can help me gage if what I need is in range of what this asset could do?

Thank you so much!

Kyle

9. BachmannT

BachmannT

Hello Kyle
    I answered to your mail. yes, send me more information, i will see what it's possible.

10. AStoryBoardZ

AStoryBoardZ

Hi! Could you please tell will it work with iOS? I found post on your blog that it supports Android but no word about iOS.

11. BachmannT

BachmannT

Hello
    MPTK support Android but partially. See here
    I have never checked with iOS, only with MacOS. Some users say me that it's ok but without a full check ... I encourage you to verify with the free version and I will offer you a Pro version for a full check on iOS ;-)
    Best Regards
    Thierry

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  12. robinspots

robinspots

Hi,

Firstly, great tool, thanks for your hard work!

I can't seem to get the noteOff events to fire. I've set the MPTK_KeepNoteOff value to 'true' and have turned 'Log Midi events' on but I'm not seeing any noteOff events. Am I missing something?

Ultimately, I need to add a noteoff subscriber. I've successfully done this using
    Code (CSharp):
    1. midiExternalPlayer.OnEventNotesMidi.AddListener(NotesToPlay);
    for noteOn events, but again, this doesn't seem to work for noteOff.

Any tips would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

13. BachmannT

BachmannT

Hi robinspots
    Thank for your encouragement !
    You are right, there is a bug. I search for a workaround and take you inform.
    Best Regards
    Thierry

[EDIT] I'm sorry, but there is no simple workaround. I need to publish an update. I will do that as soon as possible, but publishing a new version need serious testing phase. I hope to be ready for the next week.
    I apologize for that.
    Best Regards
    Thierry

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  14. robinspots

robinspots

Bonjour Thierry,

That's no problem. Please let me know when the update is ready.

Merci :)

15. BachmannT

BachmannT

Version 2.03 has been sent to the store. I hope that will be available for the beginning of the week. Je vois que mon origine géographique a été démasqué ;-)

16. robinspots

robinspots

The new update seems to be working great. Thanks Thierry!

BachmannT likes this.
  17. Mihaylevskiy

Mihaylevskiy

Hello. I want to use this plugin to play on WEB, but in the Unity Editor (or Windows app.) and WEBGL midi sounds different. How to fix it? Thanks.

18. BachmannT

BachmannT

Hello
    MPTK doesn't support playing sound with a good quality on WebGL. See here.
    The reason is the WebGL doesn't support CoRoutine, I'm sorry for that.
    It's possible to load a Midi file to read and process Midi Events.
    Best Regards
    Thierry

19. BachmannT

BachmannT

Good to know, and thank for your test.

20. Mihaylevskiy

Mihaylevskiy

Unity 2018.3 support CoRoutine and MIDI file is played.
    for example: https://qa3.elpcorp.com/test_web_midi/test_pro/
    (using MIDI lib.), but not played well.
    Original midi file in attach.

Attached Files:

21. BachmannT

BachmannT

My explanations was a little short: here some info from Unity
    You are right, CoRoutine run correctly with WebGL. The issue is Threading. The impact on sound is much more on how a sound loop on a wave. The wave loop with WebGL (and also with Android) is done on the full wave, not on a sustain section:
    When a piano key is hit, the wave is playing from start: first the attack+decay phase (a very short phase), then the wave is playing the sustain phase until the key is released, then wave is playing the release phase (a short phase) and the sound is stopped.
    With WebGL and Android, the wave is plays from start to end in a loop until the key is released: attack/decay/sustain/release. Here information how a synthesizer runs (in particular with envelope).

I have the idea for a future version of MPTK to cut each waves in each steps; then let MPTK runs each sub wave according the current phase. It's a lot of work and ... with no guarantee to get a good sound (i'm afraid to have some glitch sound between each phase ...)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  22. BachmannT

BachmannT

Thank for your comment on the pro store. It help me to continue trying doing the best !

23. BachmannT

BachmannT

Hi All
    V2.04 waiting for review.
    Some little enhancements or corrections:
    • Calculate Midi duration after loading a Midi
    • Corrected calculated Duration which was wrong in some cases
    • Class MidiLoad: Add MPTK_InitialTempo attribute
    • Prefab MidiListPlayer: Add MPTK_Load() method. Useful to get information about the Midi before play it.
    • Add two new reasons for stop midi: next and previous
    • Demo TestMidiFilePlayerScripting: Add display of Midi information
    • Demo TestMidiFileLoad: Add display of attributes
    • Demo TestMidiListPlayer: Add play previous button and events trigger by script.
    Have Fun !
    Thierry

24. BachmannT

BachmannT

Hi
    The V2.04 is available since 10 days. A V2.05 is quite ready with a little enhancement for playing midi with a time overlap between two midi.
    Now I would like build a 2.1 with great new functions.
    I have some ideas like: a midi filter track+channel to play only a part of the midi, a modifier to change some instrument, ...
    Have you some idea ?
    Have your say !

25. sakura_cube

sakura_cube

Hello. I bought pro-version and found it is very nice. Thanks for sharing your great assets with all.

I am in trouble with the following.
    I just want to read an external MiDi File(xx.mid) and add MPTK by not unity editor's "Add Midi File" but application's function.
    However, I could not find a way to load external MIDI files directly from the application in your document.
    My final goal is to create an iOS application that can read and play midi files written by the user on iOS with the file sharing function of itunes.
    Thanks.
    sakura.

26. BachmannT

BachmannT

Hello Sakura
    Thank to bought the pro version,
    Yes this function exists with MPTK (pro version). See the prefab MidiExternalPlay and the demo TestExternalMidiPlay.
    Have a nice day.
    Thierry

27. sakura_cube

sakura_cube

Hello BachmannT,
    Thanks for your information. I tried MidiExternalPlay and TestExternalMidiPlay.
    And I found the Midi file on WEB is OK, but File-pass + File name is not OK.
    I Type the full path on my destroy is "file://Users/name/Desktop/xxxx.midi".
    I found TheadLoadDataAndPlay() in MidiExternalPlayer.cs is started and Timing.RunCoroutine(ThreadPlay(www.bytes).CancelWith(gameObject)); is also started.
    However, as a result, Midi play is not started.
    Midi-file on WEB is ok, Midi-file in my mac is not OK. I used "Amanda.mid" file for both tests.
    I can't understand how the code can handle files on both WEB and mac.
    Since I cannot trace your code anymore, happy if you let me know some hint.

What I want to do is only to play a midi-file(xxx.mid) on my mac with your MidiExternalPlay & TestExternalMidiPlay.

Regards,
    sakura.

28. BachmannT

BachmannT

Hello Sakura, i will make a test on Mac asap. BR

29. BachmannT

BachmannT

Hello Sakura
    No problem on my side, but add a / to your path like this:
    file:///Users/thierry/Desktop/Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit.mid

Or, use the browser in the inspector to select your midi file on your Mac.

I have updated the MPTK documentation, see here.

upload_2019-5-16_21-16-38.png

BR
    Thierry

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  30. sakura_cube

sakura_cube

Hello Bachmann,
    Thanks for your kind supports.
    "files:///" is OK for your Midi file Amanda.mid. I understood "///" is vital to set the full path of the midi-file.
    However my Midi file is not still played.
    I checked both Midi files in Window's Media Player and found that both works well.
    After some tests, finally I found the cause. File name.
    My fine name is "2343_3_#814.mid". Maybe this file name was rejected in your code without any error message. (trim() function?)
    I changed my file name to "Amanda123.midi" and found that my midi file is playing successfully.
    So I will change all my midi file's name and believe they will go well.
    Thanks for your kind support.
    Regards,
    sakura, tokyo, japan.

31. BachmannT

BachmannT

Thank for these information.
    I checked on my PC and on a Mac, I can't reproduce the issue with a # in the file name. Which version of Unity are you using ?
    BR
    Thierry, lyon, france

32. sakura_cube

sakura_cube

Hello Bachmann,
    Unity Version is 2019.1.0f2 Personal.
    Additional information, my mac uses Japanese Language. This might cause some phenomena.
    sakura.

33. BachmannT

BachmannT

Hello
    Sorry, I can't reproduce your issue.
    Have you find a solution ?

34. tencnivel

tencnivel

Hello Bachmann,
    Congratulations on your V2!

I have a few questions if you allow me:
    • Is Michelle (attached) supposed to sound like this ?
    • Has the library been tested on Android and iOS ?
    • Is it possible to mute a channel of the midi file while playing ?

Attached Files:

35. BachmannT

BachmannT

Hello
    See above my answers.
    BR

36. robinspots

robinspots

Hi Thierry,

I've encountered what could be a problem with the MIDI timing in the sequencer. When I load up this file in Midi External player: http://www.yamahaden.com/midi-files...a-6314-4c8d-a8c7-164439488b1f&method=download it starts playing but the timing is slightly incorrect.

I've tried it on two different machines, both times using the TestExternalMidiPlay scene so that I can be sure it's not my own code causing the problem.

I've tested the same midi file and soundfont in SynthFont2 (another windows midi soundfont sequencer) and it plays correctly.

Do you know what might be causing this? Are you able to hear the problem?

Thanks,

Robin

37. BachmannT

BachmannT

Hello robin.
    Thank for the exchange by mail and the tests you did. I changed the attributes of the CoRoutine which read and play Midi events and get a better result ... but not perfect. It can happen when the tempo is high with a lot of note where a good timing is mandatory. For example as with your Midi: the Turkish Marsh from Mozart. Accordingly, I have updated the post here with more details. Thank a lot for your help.

38. Ghant

Ghant

This asset has some nice features, and I was able to get it up and running quite easily, despite having little Unity experience. However, most of the midi files I tried sounded off due to timing issues. I suspect this is due to running everything off the main thread. Would it be possible to provide a version that generates and plays midi events on a background thread?

39. BachmannT

BachmannT

Hello Ghant, Yes you are right, currently all is running in the Unity main thread. The benefits is that midi events triggered can access to the Unity gameObject and create animation in relation with the music. The counterpart is a lack of accuracy (for 1% of the midi events).
    Yes, a new version is in progress to propose also a midi player based on a background thread (thank to OnAudioFilterRead!)
    Best regards

40. Ghant

Ghant

Great! I would suggest processing the midi events on a background thread and posting separate animation events to the main thread, since having the animation slightly off is preferable to the music sounding off. For my needs, I can synchronize based on the duration of the midi file played instead of individual events, so it would be good to have an option to skip generating animation events based on notes and instead get events based on time. I will gladly pay for the pro version if you add these features. Thanks and great work!

41. BachmannT

BachmannT

Hello. Don't be worried! MPTK don't generate animation. What i would say is: you can subscribe to the MPTK event OnEventNotesMidi to trigger actions on gameobject in your own script (which could be Unity animation, of course).
    In all cases, if the event is triggered in a thread which is not the main thread, this process can't work. GameObject can't be modified outside the main Unity thread.
    Thierry

42. unfungmz

unfungmz

This thing is great, but I have a couple of questions.

I am using the TestMidiStream scene to script events rather than play midi files. I'm wondering where the GUI is coming from since it doesn't seem to be in the canvas or anywhere in the game objects. I'd like to completely disable it.

Also, when it comes to playing a note via scripting, I'm not sure how to stop a specific note...

NotePlaying = new MPTKEvent()
    {

Command = MPTKCommand.NoteOn,
    Value = 22,
    Channel = StreamChannel,
    Duration = 9999999, // 9999 seconds but stop by the new note. See before.
    Velocity = Velocity // Sound can vary depending on the velocity
    };

Now, doing midiStreamPlayer.MPTK_StopEvent(NotePlaying); will stop the note, but how can I stop a specific note based on value (the pitch of the note)?

I've tried putting a new NewPlaying with the above info before stopping the note, but it's not working.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  43. BachmannT

BachmannT

Hello
    Thank to appreciate MPTK!
    No canvas are used for this demo. All the GUI is scripted in TestMidiStream.cs with the OnGUI() method. Have a look, it's simpler for this kind of UI.
    For your second question: you have to keep a list of all the MPTKEvent you created, for example with a List<MPTKEvent>, then search in the list the note you want to stop. Of course if you have a lot of events you could use a Dictionary to get a faster process with the note as a key.
    Best Regards
    Thierry

44. unfungmz

unfungmz

Thanks for the reply! One more question: How many channels are there?

45. BachmannT

BachmannT

Midi channels ? 16 it's the default value with the Midi norm. But with MPTK you can create more channel, but it's experimental !

46. URGr8

URGr8

Hi Thierry,
    I have been using MPTk for awhile and it works great. I am using Version 1.96.
    I was trying to play a midi file at a specific position, but it doesn't seem to be working right.
    In my code I am calling:
    midiFilePlayer.MPTK_Position = isMidiPosition; //(float values in miliseconds)
    midiFilePlayer.MPTK_Play();

but it seem to keep setting it back to 0 and starting from there.
    in MidiFilePlayer.cs in MPTK_Position it keeps complaining that the value is not valid, i.e, not between if (value >= 0f) && value <= (float)MPTK_Duration.TotalMilliseconds)
    I check it and the MPTK_Duration.TotalMilliseconds always seems to be 0.

Do you have an example of this working, or what am I missing?
    Thanks

47. BachmannT

BachmannT

Hello
    Right, MPTK_Position is designed to be used when the Midi is playing. The call to MPTK_Play reset the position to 0.
    First solution:calling Position after Play but with a short delay because Play is running in a coroutine. Not a robust solution, but ... easy!
    Second solution: change the position at the first note with theOnEventNotesMidi.
    Code (CSharp):
    1.  midiFilePlayer.OnEventNotesMidi.AddListener(NotesToPlay);
    Third solution: wait for the next version, a MPTK_Play(from, to) will be added !

I encourage you to download the last version of MPTK (v 2.5), the sound quality is much better!

Thank to using MPTK!

Best Regards
    Thierry

48. BasicallyGames

BasicallyGames

Is there any way to increase the audio quality of the samples created by the SoundFont setup? I noticed the files are only created at 22050Hz when they should be at least 44100. Because of the lower quality samples the music doesn't sound as good as normal.

Besides that though, I'm pretty happy with the latest update! Timing still doesn't seem perfect in some cases but there's a huge improvement from the last time I tried this.

49. BachmannT

BachmannT

Hello
    MPTK doesn't change the rate of the wave in the soundfont. But when playing, the rate of the output can be changed. See below the inspector of the MidiFilePlayer prefab (same for MidiStreamPlayer).
    With the 2.5 you can change the rate. Warning: to be set before running your application.
    Tip: use higher rate to improve the timing accuracy when playing a Midi.
    upload_2019-11-16_9-58-32.png
    BR
    Thierry

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  50. BasicallyGames

BasicallyGames

Thanks for pointing out that option, I think that's actually helped out with the timing on some MIDI files a bit... It could just be in my head though, 48000 should definitely be high enough!

That said though, the sample quality is still noticeably lower than normal, at least for some sounds. Here's a video comparing how a certain midi file sounds with the sound font in FL Studio, and then how it sounds in Midi Toolkit with the same sound font:

The same drop in quality applies to some instruments as well, not just percussion. You can see though that Midi Toolkit pro is not only creating a 22050 khz sample for the sound in the example (Which seems too low already), it's also creating it at a much higher pitch than is used, so it sounds even lower quality when it is actually played back in the music.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019