Search Unity

Cutting holes in a 6 sided ProBuilder Pipe

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Bungalow-12, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Bungalow-12

Bungalow-12

Hey all,
    I'm working on a project that involves hexagonal rooms. Making a 6 sided Pipe shape with ProBuilder has been the easiest way to make that happen as I am no 3D artist by any means.

First, I tried following:

However trying to cut a cube out of one wall to make a doorway did not work.

So I found tried the solution later in the video by selecting both sides of the wall and shrinking and deleting the faces via backspace. The problem here is that one of the door edges was easy enough to extrude the edges but when I did the same to another wall, even changing the orientation of the probuilder selection handle it was impossible to get the edges to extrude properly. So I've never been able to make one door. I'm at wits end and about to learn Blender just to get this over with although that may take a little more time than I'd like to give to this mini project.

Does anyone have a suggestion that can help me make a quick hexagonal room with door holes cut in each wall? I intend to make a block to fill it in for optional doors if anyone cares :p

2. Tomyn

Tomyn

I've run into similar issues at times where the mesh will move in directions not indicated by the gizmo axis. One solution is either freeze the transform of the object to reset the orientation making the gizmo return to a normal axis.

An easier way to make holes rather than extruding the edges and try to merge the vertices is to:

- Select both your faces on either side of the wall.
    - Shrink them like in the video using Shift + the gizmo handles.
    - Delete the inner faces.
    - Go to edge mode and select one edge of the hole and the other edge on the other side of the wall.
    - Then with the edges selected use Bridge.

It takes more clicks of the mouse but it removes some of the chances for error. After doing all of that you can select all the polygons that make up your door frame and move them closer to the floor so the hole for your door won't be sitting in the middle of the wall.

I hope that helps.

gabrielw_unity and Bungalow-12 like this.
  3. Bungalow-12

Bungalow-12

Thanks for the help Tomyn! Unfortunately it just feels impossible to either select the appropriate edges or bridging them just doesn't work. So back to the drawing board.

4. Bungalow-12

Bungalow-12

Actually I was wrong. Your suggestion did work there are times I needed to restore missing faces first but then I could bridge edges and use fill hole to do the rest. Thank you so much!