Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Cutting a snippet near the start of a 5+ minute cutscene?

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by Tarodev, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Tarodev

Tarodev

Some of my scenes hang just a little too long and I'd love to tidy them up, but I have transform moves and signals scattered throughout and would prefer not adjusting all of them each time I cut back a scene...

I'd love to be able to just trim some keyframes and have all the other components in the timeline just magically pull back (this seems ridiculous now that I'm typing it).

2. julienb

julienb

Unity Technologies

Like this?

ripple.gif

You need to go in ripple mode and select the first item of each track. All items should magically move!

Tarodev likes this.
  3. Tarodev

Tarodev

You have... saved my life. Thanks so much!

I couldn't find any documentation on those buttons anywhere. I tried using them by random clicking like an idiot to no avail. For example, search "unity timeline ripple mode", you'll be given nothing. Something to keep in mind.

4. julienb

julienb

Unity Technologies

5. Tarodev

Tarodev

So it is! I'll have a read

6. Tarodev

Tarodev

@julienb Maybe you could help me further. I have a scene where no real gameplay takes place which starts with a timeline where at the end a choice is presented. Regardless of the choice, I want the next timeline to take place from the end of the last one with all the game objects in the correct positions. Right now I'm starting the timeline and placing all the pieces manually, which as you could imagine is a maintenance nightmare...

7. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

You can set the animation tracks (assuming that is what you are using to place objects) on the subsequent timelines to 'Scene Offsets' - that means they will start relative to their current placement in the scene as opposed to an absolute translation/rotation.