Search Unity

Cutout Material Renders Upside Down

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by skyelucking, Aug 15, 2019.

1. skyelucking

skyelucking

Hi All!

I'm *brand new* to Unity so please forgive me if this is a total nube question. I'm trying to place an alpha channel video on an image target. I've gotten really close - except the material I've placed over the plane (which plays the video) renders upside down. The video itself is right side up, but the cutout figure is upside down. Does anyone have an idea of what settings I must change to get it right side up? Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 12.29.13 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 12.28.48 PM.png

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

That's not a noob question; it seems like a pretty advanced technique to me. In fact I'm not sure how I'd go about it (and I've been using Unity a long time). Can you give more details on your setup? Maybe we can spot something awry.

skyelucking likes this.
  3. skyelucking

skyelucking

Thanks for your response! I'm on the chat window with Unity support now. So, I might be able to post an answer to my own question in a moment. I'll keep you updated! If they can't help, I'll provide screenshots of what I have. Thanks!

4. skyelucking

skyelucking

Okay, perhaps I was too optimistic about getting an answer. I can't put the details at this moment because I have to pack up, but will update tomorrow with all the details. Essentially, I've followed the exact steps on this tutorial:

You can start at point 23:20 to see the steps I went through. In the video his works perfectly, but mine ends up upside down. I'll post screenshots of my config tomorrow.

5. Bill_Martini

Bill_Martini

The video isn't upside down, it's the mask that creates the transparency. How to fix is above my pay grade. I suspect a bug. Maybe try using 2017.3 as he is doing in the video.

skyelucking and JoeStrout like this.
  6. skyelucking

skyelucking

Hi - thanks for the response. Yep, as I mentioned in the initial description - the material placed (or mask as you call it) is rendering upside down. I'd hesitate to revert to an older version of the software as I'd want to use the lastest and just figure out how to get it to work in there. I'm contacting the support team today to see what they can do. Thanks!

JoeStrout likes this.
  7. Bill_Martini

Bill_Martini

Ok, I understand. I still think you are overestimating the value of the newest version. Most developers hold back a full version just for stability. I just started using 2018 for the new project I started 3 weeks ago. The solution for 'why doesn't this work like the tutorial' is usually to use the same version as in the tutorial.

If you do not have a premium account, you might want to put this project on hold for a while. I've waited years for bug fixes. Your case is a bit obscure to the general usage of Unity, I wouldn't expect immediate attention to this.

8. skyelucking

skyelucking

Hi Bill -
    Thanks for your time responding. I do have a premium account, so I'll see what we can figure out. I'll post a solution once I find it.
    Thanks

Bill_Martini likes this.
  9. afbatista

afbatista

Hello! I saw this post yesterday because I was having the same problem. The bug went away when I updated to version 2020.1.0a3. Hope this helps!
    Thanks

skyelucking and JoeStrout like this.
  10. skyelucking

skyelucking

Thanks SO very much for letting me know! I was just about to play around with this again tomorrow. I'll give it a try!

JoeStrout likes this.