Search Unity

Cut Scene System

Discussion in 'Open Projects' started by theabhinv, Oct 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theabhinv

theabhinv

I would like to do the cut scene system. I can make a tool script that allows animators to handle dialogue system, camera motion and scene as well as giving controls back to the player after cutscene is over.
    And I'm also open to any other design changes that other would recommend.

2. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Hey theabhinv, just so you are aware, I was looking at this other thread: https://forum.unity.com/threads/dialogue-system-timeline-track.980712/ and I see some points of contact.

However I imagine the cutscene system more as something that handles just the transition between regular gameplay and cutscenes. But it definitely should also be aware of clips on the Timeline which would pause it, and allow the player to press a button to advance.

Thoughts?

3. Aspekt1024

Aspekt1024

I've done something like this for a game I'm working on, pretty much exactly as @cirocontinisio describes. We used Timeline which is really powerful, though the tricky part is adding animations to the Timeline and having them pause to wait for dialogue to progress. Because pausing the timeline also pauses anything on it, all animations on the Timeline (either character animations or camera panning) will stop. The solution I believe would be to have animation hooks on the characters/objects via the Timeline - that is, animations triggered on the objects that play outside of Timeline.

What kind of solution are you thinking @theabhinv ?

4. theabhinv

theabhinv

5. theabhinv

theabhinv

Okay so here is what I had in mind, we keep the timeline and add more layers of stuff like @Aspekt1024 suggested. It would be faster since most of the ground work and learning is done. I can try to do something like having the timeline loop around a small segment decided by the designer so that they can work on complex animations as well. So every cutscene will actually be a bunch of short clips that are loaded and have a segment telling us from what point it loops. The player will then either press a button to continue, and if we're using cutscenes to mask loading times, we can have the button just speed it up so that it just feels like progress

6. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.