Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

CustomPropertDrawer noob : simple togle to show different fields

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Pablomon, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Pablomon

Pablomon

Hi, I'am trying to get a custom property drawer that has to show one flied or other depending on toogle button.

The problems I am facing are:
    - the toogle button gets clicked when clicking anywhere inside the inspector property. The inspector property has a toogle and below it a field. When clicking in the field the toogle gets clicked too.
    - The property field is twice as high as it should.

This is the result I am getting:
    upload_2018-3-22_19-1-23.png

And this is the code I am using.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. [CustomPropertyDrawer(typeof(FloatReference))]
    2. public class FloatReferenceDrawer : PropertyDrawer
    3. {
    4.     public override void OnGUI(Rect position, SerializedProperty property, GUIContent label)
    5.     {
    6.         SerializedProperty useConstant = property.FindPropertyRelative("UseConstant");
    7.         SerializedProperty constValue = property.FindPropertyRelative("ConstValue");
    8.         SerializedProperty variable = property.FindPropertyRelative("Variable");
    10.         EditorGUI.BeginProperty(position, label, property);
    11.         // Draw name    
    12.         Rect r = EditorGUI.PrefixLabel(position, label); // returns the space is going the label takes          
    13.         // Draw toggle      
    14.         useConstant.boolValue = EditorGUI.ToggleLeft(r, "Use Constant", useConstant.boolValue);
    16.         // Draw value
    17.         r.y += EditorGUIUtility.singleLineHeight; //move the rect down one line height
    18.         if (useConstant.boolValue)
    19.         {
    20.             EditorGUI.FloatField(r, constValue.floatValue);
    21.         }
    22.         else
    23.         {
    24.             Type t = typeof(FloatVariable);
    25.             EditorGUI.ObjectField(r, variable, t);        
    26.         }                                          
    28.         EditorGUI.EndProperty();    
    29.     }
    31.     public override float GetPropertyHeight(SerializedProperty prop, GUIContent label)
    32.     {    
    33.         return EditorGUIUtility.singleLineHeight *2;
    34.     }
    35. }
    Thank you for your time.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2018
  2. methos5k

methos5k

I'm very bad at these things, but I manage to get this together.. (modified slightly from yours)
    Code (csharp):
    2. public override void OnGUI(Rect position, SerializedProperty property, GUIContent label)
    3.     {
    5.         SerializedProperty useConstant = property.FindPropertyRelative("UseConstant");
    7.         SerializedProperty constValue = property.FindPropertyRelative("ConstValue");
    9.         SerializedProperty variable = property.FindPropertyRelative("Variable");
    13.         EditorGUI.BeginProperty(position, label, property);
    15.         // Draw name      
    16.         float rx = position.x;
    17.         Rect r = EditorGUI.PrefixLabel(position, label); // returns the space is going the label takes            
    20.         useConstant.boolValue = EditorGUI.ToggleLeft(r, "Use Constant", useConstant.boolValue);
    22.         r.x = rx;
    23.         r.y += 18;
    24.         r.height = 18;
    26.         if (useConstant.boolValue)
    27.             EditorGUI.PropertyField(r, constValue);
    28.         else EditorGUI.PropertyField(r, variable);
    30.         EditorGUI.EndProperty();
    32.     }
    33.     public override float GetPropertyHeight(SerializedProperty property, GUIContent label)
    34.     {
    35.         return 18*2;
    36.     }
    I have no idea if that's what you wanted. ;) Maybe it's helpful.

3. Pablomon

Pablomon

Thanks for the reply!

r.height did it and the field no longer overlaps the next property, thanks.

The problem of the toggle remains though. Wherever I click in the height of the property operates the toogle button.

upload_2018-3-23_13-34-56.png

Clicking where the arrow points operates the toogle so I can't ever change the numeric value...

Bonus question:
    For the float field I use EditorGUI.FloatField(r, constValue.floatValue) and it displays only the value.
    But for the variable field I tried EditorGUI.ObjectField(r, variable) and EditorGUI.PropertyField(r, variable) and both draw the name of the property. Is there a way I can get rid of the "variable" text?

upload_2018-3-23_13-41-26.png

4. methos5k

methos5k

Sorry, I'm pretty clueless about that stuff. :) Kinda just got half lucky helping you out there. heh

I don't think mine was forcing the toggle being clicked, but you have 2 input areas.. and I had one -- I thought you only wanted 1, toggled?

Someday I'd like to get better at the editor scripting stuff.. could be someday soon, or far away.. who knows :)

5. Pablomon

Pablomon

Hey methos5k got it working!

So I found the problem with the toogle being clicked anywhere was the rect it was given.
    If I give it a rect with the exact width it works. Same idea you pointed me too before.

r.width = 110;
    useConstant.boolValue = EditorGUI.ToggleLeft(r, "Use Constant", useConstant.boolValue);

So now the float field can be changed.
    upload_2018-3-23_14-27-44.png

As for the bonus question I used the method ObjectField(Rect position, string label, Object obj, Type objType, bool allowSceneObjects) with a label equal to "". Now it looks like this:
    upload_2018-3-23_14-37-8.png

Since this drawer works for a trendy pattern I am pasting the whole code for others to use.

Cheers!

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEditor;
    2. using UnityEngine;
    4. [CustomPropertyDrawer(typeof(FloatReference))]
    5. public class FloatReferenceDrawer : PropertyDrawer
    6. {
    8.     public override void OnGUI(Rect position, SerializedProperty property, GUIContent label)
    9.     {
    11.         SerializedProperty useConstant = property.FindPropertyRelative("UseConstant");
    13.         SerializedProperty constValue = property.FindPropertyRelative("ConstValue");
    15.         SerializedProperty variable = property.FindPropertyRelative("Variable");
    19.         EditorGUI.BeginProperty(position, label, property);
    21.         Rect r;
    22.         // Draw name        
    23.         r = EditorGUI.PrefixLabel(position, label); // returns the space is going the label takes      
    25.         r.width = 90;
    26.         useConstant.boolValue = EditorGUI.ToggleLeft(r, "Use Constant", useConstant.boolValue);
    28.         r.xMin += 95;
    29.         r.xMax = position.xMax;
    30.         r.height = EditorGUIUtility.singleLineHeight;
    32.         if (useConstant.boolValue)
    33.         {
    34.             constValue.floatValue = EditorGUI.FloatField(r, constValue.floatValue);
    35.         }
    36.         else
    37.         {
    38.             //EditorGUI.ObjectField(r, variable);
    39.             variable.objectReferenceValue = EditorGUI.ObjectField(r, "", variable.objectReferenceValue, typeof(FloatVariable), false);
    40.         }
    42.         EditorGUI.EndProperty();
    44.     }
    46.     public override float GetPropertyHeight(SerializedProperty property, GUIContent label)
    47.     {
    48.         return EditorGUIUtility.singleLineHeight ;
    49.     }
    50. }

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  6. methos5k

methos5k

7. Pablomon

Pablomon