Search Unity

Customizing the Reflect Viewer with Unity Pro

Discussion in 'Unity Reflect' started by FredMoreau, Jul 20, 2020.

1. FredMoreau

FredMoreau

Unity Technologies

Hi,

to those who want to customize the Reflect Viewer, here's some information to get you up to speed.

I've created a "non officially supported" Unity Project Template that you can use.
    Here's a video that shows how to use the template to customize the viewer.

A link to the template is provided in the video description.

Now this template is based on Reflect 1.1 for now.
    Which means that using it, you will miss the latest features from 1.2 (Cloud support, Teleport and SunStudy).

In the meantime, you can also start from scratch, following those steps :
    • Create a new Unity Project (from the standard 3D template)
    • Add the latest Reflect Package from the Package Manager (1.2.0-preview.6)
    • Add the VR package (https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/com.unity.reflect.vr) as it's been separated from the main package.
    • Add the AR package (https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/com.unity.reflect.ar)
    • For both packages, download and extract the content of the tgz file, then put it in your local packages folder, or anywhere on your drive and them through the Package Manager using "Add from disk".
    • Locate the Reflect prefab (in Packages/Unity Reflect/Runtime/)
    • Duplicate the prefab in the Assets folder (so that you can edit it)
    • Instantiate the prefab copy in the scene, and delete the original camera and directional light (1.2 instantiates a light with SunStudy)
    • if you want to modify one of the nested prefabs beyond simple overrides, you will need to also copy them in the Assets folder for editing
    • make sure the project uses Linear Color Space in Project Settings / Player / Other Settings
    • API compatibility level should also be set to .Net 4.x
    • also, upon import, there should be a prompt, twice, to "patch" the Input system, simply accept it
    • if you want to customize the VR mode, there's an option in Project Settings/EditorXR/Context Manager, to show the gameObjects that are created at runtime and otherwise hidden from hierarchy view
    I'll post an update here when I'm done updating the template to 1.2.

Hope this helps!

DavidMenard, UnityPeterD and Kjelle69 like this.
  2. FredMoreau

FredMoreau

Unity Technologies

This is version 1.2.0 of the template, working with Reflect package 1.2.0-preview.26.

To install it, download and unzip the zip file.
    Place the tgz file in the following location :
    C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\2019.4.4f1\Editor\Data\Resources\PackageManager\ProjectTemplates

Note that it does not include the Reflect AR nor Reflect VR packages, that you need to download from the following repositories, extract and add to your local packages folder.

Reflect VR package : https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/com.unity.reflect.vr
    AR package : https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/com.unity.reflect.ar

This version of the template includes a different example script from the first, showing how to access metadata and interact with the view filter.
    It also adds Input Fields to the SunStudy Lat/Long Sliders.

Please post your feedback here.

Also, check out our tutorials on customizing the Viewer here :
    https://learn.unity.com/course/basic-reflect-customization

Attached Files:

3. Murray_Zutari

Murray_Zutari

Thanks Fred, this update is working with cloud projects :)

4. mattjezyk

mattjezyk

Is this compatible with MRTK and Hololens as well?

5. FredMoreau

FredMoreau

Unity Technologies

6. DavidMenard

DavidMenard

Unity Technologies

Hey MattJezyk!
    We don't support the Hololens yet. The problem is that we use gRPC in Reflect for Syncing data, and it doesn't officially support Windows ARM64 devices like the Hololens 2. We willg et there in time thuogh.
    The other problem is model size - As yuo can imagine, most models will be too big to run at a smooth 60FPS on what is essentially a phone strapped to your forehead :) We're working on several improvements that will really help performances, but while we're waiting, we prefer to stay on the safe side and not officially support devices like the Hololens.
    David

7. mattjezyk

mattjezyk

Hi @FredMoreau,

I have some Revit 2020 models that successfully show in the Unity Reflect Viewer but when I try and load them in to Unity Pro using the instructions in this thread I get a bunch of "Failed setting triangles. Some indices are referencing out of bounds vertices" errors - seems like all the Host Objects (walls/roofs/floors) are failing to create the right geometry. Any ideas?

-matt

8. mattjezyk

mattjezyk

Hi @DavidMenard,

I totally understand the issues here. We have solved similar problems both on the gRPC side and also the model size problem in other Unity projects we have worked on. For gRPC we used Web Sockets to connect to a small server on the laptop/desktop and relay to gRPC.

For the geometry/facet/memory limits there are other ways to optimize the geometry and also manage what is on the HL2. We are currently using Bentley SynchroXR with the HL2 and it works pretty well within the hardware limitations of the device. There are also other ways to stream from the laptop/desktop or us Azure Remote Rendering.

Would love to discuss more.

-matt

9. DavidMenard

DavidMenard

Unity Technologies

That's a smart workaround, with the websocket! Our plan at the moment is actually just try and add the platform support to gRPC,since it's open-sourced. There was a PR for it but it was rejected, so we'll have to look deeper into it.

We're working on a bunch of new data pipeline stuff in Reflect to handle streaming data directly ni the viewer, which will help a lot. Then of course we'll have to look into decimation an a whole bunch of other things. In the end we're confident we will get there, I just don't know when yet!

10. FredMoreau

FredMoreau

Unity Technologies

Can you share those models with us ?

11. odehit

odehit

I have a feeling you ran into the same issue I had. See this thread:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/problem-when-using-reflect-prefab-from-package-manager.946000/

12. mattjezyk

mattjezyk

@odehit Good call. I was using 2019.2.12f1 and did see the same behavior you did. Upgrading to newest 2019 version now.

@FredMoreau What is the minimum required version? Does reflect work better with 2020 versions at all?

13. mattjezyk

mattjezyk

upgrading to 2019.4.x fixed the faceting issue

14. mattjezyk

mattjezyk

hi @FredMoreau,

I have the scene working well now in Unity Pro and have followed your sample videos.

I'd like to:
    - Change the default camera position to one of my Revit cameras, so this is used on Play
    - 'Bake' a few of the loaded buildings into the scene, retaining the correct position, geometry, and material mappings. I have used the Reflect Package previously to import revit models into the Unity scene, is that still in the best way to end up with static content, not loaded at runtime inside the player?

thanks,

-matt

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  15. FredMoreau

FredMoreau

Unity Technologies

Hi Matt,

yes, importing the model in the Editor is the easiest way to do all that.
    Although for Material Remapping, there's also a solution to add custom remaps to a custom Viewer in the Reflect Extensions package.
    For the Revit Camera, there's also something in that package. You need to import the samples.
    That said, note that it's only compatible with Reflect 1.1 for now.

Hope that helps.

16. rsodre

rsodre

Hello,

I'm a Unity developer and have an opportunity to develop a visualizer for an architecture firm, and this template sounds like the perfect solution. But there are a few things I need to understand better before I accept the challenge...

- Is this custom viewer compatible with macOS?
    - Is this custom viewer compatible with HDRP and URP?
    - When you hit Play and select the project, is it actually loaded into Unity? I think that's what's inside Sync Root, correct?
    - Can I make a multi-camera setup to browse the project? On my player I will need to render two cameras and stitch into one big panoramic image, something I already do without Reflect.
    - My client's projects are all in 3DS Max, and I can't find anywhere if Reflect can read Max files. Can it?

Thanks,
    Roger

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  17. DavidMenard

DavidMenard

Unity Technologies

Hey rsodre!
    - Is this custom viewer compatible with macOS? yes it is!
    - Is this custom viewer compatible with HDRP and URP? The viewer is currently built on the built-in pipeline, but you can switch it to URP & HDRP in the editor. We're currently working on a URP version of the viewer that we'll release in a few weeks.
    - When you hit Play and select the project, is it actually loaded into Unity? I think that's what's inside Sync Root, correct?
    Yes, it's actually loaded as GameObjects in Unity. You can download the project as assets in the editor, or keep working with the Runtime workflow, where the user publishes projects and the viewer loads them, without having to go through the editor. In that case, you will be customizing the viewer.
    - Can I make a multi-camera setup to browse the project? On my player I will need to render two cameras and stitch into one big panoramic image, something I already do without Reflect.
    Yes, no problem. Pretty much anything you can do outside Reflect can be adapted to work with Reflect. The Reflect project uses a good-old-fashion regular Unity Camera. Simply replace it with your rig!
    -
    My client's projects are all in 3DS Max, and I can't find anywhere if Reflect can read Max files. Can it?
    We don't have a 3dsMax plugin at the moment. We do ahve a publisher API available if it's something you'd be interested in building for your client. DM me if you'd like o know more!

rsodre likes this.
  18. rsodre

rsodre

Good!

You mean I can load the Reflect project (models and materials) as assets in the Editor, without that template?
    If my client uses Reflect to build the scene, will I need Reflect+Pro to import and use it?

19. DavidMenard

DavidMenard

Unity Technologies

Yup, you can, without using the Reflect template! You will also need a Reflect+Pro license to build. The reason is that Reflect has a variation of a prefab, called a SyncPrefab, that keeps the link with the source, so you can update it. Meaning if your Revit project changes, you can sync those changes with the prefab.
    It also prevents one person being the "import monkey" for the rest of the company XD

20. rsodre

rsodre

Sorry, but the Unity Pro requirement is a big marketing stupidity. There's no technical need for it.
    It just makes ArchViz harder and farther for independents.
    I could be using Reflect, but but the project got too expensive and I opted for some third-party plugin.

21. DavidMenard

DavidMenard

Unity Technologies

Thanks for letting us know you views on this. We're currently tracking usage and user feedback and I'll make sure we take this into consideration for our future plans.

22. ohms99

ohms99

Hi, when I download reflect from the package manager, I don't see the reflect prefab to customize. I'm using unity 2019.4.16.
    Also if we want to make a custom solution for multiple clients, how would we import their revit projects into our application? Right now it sounds like each one of them would need a reflect license to export their files using the plugin even if they would be using our custom solution.

23. FredMoreau

FredMoreau

Unity Technologies

From version 2.0, there is no more Reflect Prefab. To customize the Viewer, you want to fork the public repo.
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/com.unity.reflect.viewer

Hope this helps.

ohms99 likes this.
  24. XR_BBRI

XR_BBRI

Thanks for the information, it is not clear to me how can I make my own "viewer" in the Unity Pro Editor.
    Is there somewhere more information about that?

Best regards,

25. emmabnz

emmabnz

Is there a tutorial that shows how to customise the viewer after we have forked the repo? If I'm looking at the first post in this thread, what step does this one replace? apologies in advance if this is a silly question, just starting to learn Unity. Thanks!

JNoon1 and boulakhoury like this.
  26. TreyK-47

TreyK-47

Unity Technologies

27. JNoon1

JNoon1

yeah same question. Is there any documentation of this change and what the new fork and edit process is?

28. eslamalmohandes

eslamalmohandes

so it seems that unity has changed its plans, and now you have to pay extra license fee to distribute your custom made viewer for your clients. I tried to connect unity but with no replies till now. can anyone here help me to know how much will i pay to distribute my custom reflect viewer for users?

29. Davkar688

Davkar688

Does anyone know of a step by step resource to learn how to Import a Project from the cloud, modify the model ( new materials, lights etc..) and then send it back up to Reflect Review? I haven't seen anything on how to modify a boring Revit model into something great and then send it back up. The Unity documentation on Reflect is so bare and useless that we are struggling on our pilot program. If this doesn't work our company will abandon Reflect all together so I need to find that last step. When I click on Update in the Reflect Importer it doesn't affect the model in the cloud. Do I need to Build and THEN do something? Does it go back up to the cloud? Or does it only make an executable for use on Desktop? Help please!

30. DavidMenard

DavidMenard

Unity Technologies

Hey Davkar,
    Reflect doesn't support re-uploading to the cloud - This is because there're so many thing you can do in the Editor that you'd have to support all of it and all the exceptions, including scripts and components.
    You can produce a Reflect executable with a project built-in though, it will show up in the list of projects as built-in.

31. Davkar688

Davkar688

So then how would my clients access that project or walk around in VR? What would be the point of Reflect and Develop and Collaborate licenses? Couldn't I just bring an FBX of a building into Unity Pro and then build an exe that clients could run on their desktop? This is why we NEED actual documentation and not a hodgepodge of outdated videos.

I can't believe how incredibly frustrating and disappointing our experience with Unity has been and I don't see any motivation on Unity's part to make it better. I sincerely hope you guys don't raise the price on this stuff because it's not ready.

32. Davkar688

Davkar688

Did you ever get an answer on this?? No one said anything about having to make a custom viewer to modify models and defintely nothing about having to pay to distribute custom viewers. This concerns me quite a bit. I hope it was sorted between then and now.