Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Customising Master Server and how it integrated with Unity

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by setasohjiro, Jun 10, 2009.

1. setasohjiro

setasohjiro

Hi I am in the process of developing a multiplayer game, and would like it to support at the very least a couple hundred players prefereably 1000. Now for this I would need something along the lines of a dedicated server.

Understanding that I can use the master server beta code and modify it to suit my needs is fine, I know about concepts of networking and know C++ to an Intermediate to Advanced level.

I want to be able to use sections of the Unity SDK that are relevant if possible, saving me time and money.

Q1) Is it possible to use parts of the Unity Engine if I were to develop the master server using native C++?

Q2) If it is possible how would I go about using the 2 development SDKs together?

Q3) Would there be any performance downfalls to useing the existing Unity Engine SubSystems (physics) in the modified master server?

Any hints suggestions or information you think might be relevant that I haven't asked would be welcome in addition to answers to these questions.

Thanks

2. larus

larus

Unity Technologies

The master server is a directory service, as in it is a place where game servers can register themselves and game clients can look them up.

It is actually written in C++ but doesn't have anything to do with game logic. It is completely separate from Unity itself.

If you are going to use the inbuilt unity multiplayer networking API you need to run a unity player as a server. You can use it as a dedicated server that way (Mac OS X or Windows only), however, headless mode is not supported at the moment.

If you are thinking of a game in MMO territory (with 1000+ users on the same server) you might want to look at using .NET sockets directly or using a third party solution. Several such solutions have been mentioned on these forums.