Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Custom Track or editing existing Timeline Events Asset code ?? - NOT Signals !

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by artofmining, Oct 14, 2019.

1. artofmining

artofmining

Hi everyone,

I am using Timeline (2019) within a Unity system that I have built to aid me in filmmaking. Principally I have small cartoon show I'm working on as an Indie called Pit Mouse. The filmmaking comes by way of a CutScene approach. I record the output direct to Video using Unity recorder. these clips makes up the film. (post edit).

Within timeline I use a single Audio Vocal Track to which any or all characters in scene can lip sync (blendshapes) by way of a boolean on/off. Each character has an "Actor Controller" script attached. This script contains a number of Public void Functions that can be called to trigger something. i.e Make head look at another object or activate lipsync or blink, nod yes/no etc.

Could I use Unity Signals? YES of course BUT they are a pain in the A! Having to create emitters and recievers for EVERY event I wish to trigger to control the actors (characters). In a scene with mutiple actors this soon gets VERY messy.

What about Timeline Event Asset? - https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/characters/timeline-events-115300

This is a brilliant FREE script but it falls short for my need. Namely the methods available which are Bools, Ints, Floats and Strings. Ideally I want GameObject in addtion.

Why?
    Imagine a Timeline with a single vocal audio track that contains conversation between 2 or more actors.
    My Actor Controller script on each character allows me to set a particular character to responds to lipsync. It also lets me trigger the character to LOOKAT another object or another chracter as you would expect to see in a film or show. basically it adds life to the actors.
    Using Timeline events I can call a specific function on a specific Actor GameObject and pass it a method (bool, int, float or string). I currently use a STRING value which correlates the GameObject's name. (my actor code then does a GameObject.Find to get it.

IDEALLY I want to be able to choose a GameObject as a method and pass that to the function. It avoids potential mistyping a string of the name. And more importantly it would be much faster to do production by simply dragging a GO. (similar to how you drag one in an event)

The question leads to how to do it. I'm not a C# guru I know enough but its not my trade.

I looked into the possibility of a "CUSTOM TRACK" but that feels above me. (boilerplate approach)
    So therefore Timeline Events Asset - https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/characters/timeline-events-115300
    I wondered if any of you code masters know if its possible to add an additional method to this script?

One that would allow me to select a GameObject as a method.

If not how deep of a challenge would it be to create a Custom Track to fullfill the same role?

Appreciate any insight or guidance, I know it's a big ask but happy to share back such code with the community.

Many thanks
    Archie

2. julienb

julienb

Unity Technologies

A while ago, I wrote a message marker. This is a marker which works like an Animation Event; you can assign a method to it and this method will be called when the timeline hits the marker.
    A message marker supports methods that take a GameObject as an argument, so it looks like it does what you want. upload_2019-10-15_11-9-34.png

sergiusz308 likes this.
  3. artofmining

artofmining

UPDATE: Works just fine so really appreciate you sharing !!!
    ==============
    Many thanks Julien I'll take a look at it later looks like it might work I'll let you know.
    Archie

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    julienb likes this.