Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Custom theme support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by merpheus, Apr 11, 2021.

?

Should Unity have custom theme support?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. merpheus

merpheus

Since now there is no dark theme/white theme separation by license. I have been wondering about choosing color schemes for Unity. Current dark theme is too dark for me, but white theme is also eye burning sometimes.

Since I can't see what I am doing in dark theme, I use white theme most of the time. Back before UIElements switch on ui, there was a plugin that changes Unity themes and allows users to have bunch of different schemes like blue, green, pink etc.

Now I wonder, is there a possibility to have custom theme support. What do you guys think?

2. Mauri

Mauri

YES PLEASE. Technically, it would be possible.

You can - sort of - make your own Editor Theme today by using a method that's not officially supported - custom USS styles (which are similar to CSS):
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/uni...ui-look-like-garbage-now.709037/#post-4747730

That said, there are some downsides to this. Thanks to the way the Editor is coded, you can't really change everything.

Marc-Saubion and I once shared some findings in this thread: https://forum.unity.com/threads/custom-editor-theme.989456

If I was you, I wouldn't waste my time on this. I toyed around with it for months and it became too frustrating. This and the fact that it's not officially supported, meaning you won't get any help.

But no idea if something like that is planned for the future.

merpheus likes this.
  3. Murgilod

Murgilod

If your eyes are burning at the light theme, which isn't at all white and the dark theme is too dark as well then you probably have something really messed up going on with your monitor, not the editor. You've probably got the brightness and contrast settings cranked or something.

4. merpheus

merpheus

Not only that. I want to use unity with my own color scheme. Like totally pink colored for example. There is literally no reason that this is not possible.

5. stain2319

stain2319

I wouldn't mind. It's not at the top of my want list but sure, I like themes.

6. MDADigital

MDADigital

ISF calibration.

7. Ryiah

Ryiah

Olive Green must live again!

OliveGreen.jpg

Antypodish, JoNax97 and merpheus like this.
  8. Murgilod

Murgilod

I mean part of the reason is that it's a feature that needs to be maintained and one that fewer people will likely use than used Boo when it was taken out.