Search Unity

Custom syntax colouring in BBEdit

Discussion in 'Wish List' started by matthewminer, Aug 10, 2007.

1. matthewminer

matthewminer

I use BBEdit (fantastic program, tell your friends) to edit scripts in Unity. It works well, but I would like to have more Unity-esque syntax colouring in addition to the regular JavaScript syntax colouring. Unitron, for example, colours "GameObject" appropriately when you type it. It would be simply smashing to have this occur in BBEdit.

I'm not sure how easy it is to write custom language syntax colouring schemes for BBEdit, but perhaps some intrepid programmagician knows their way around language modules. I may yet buckle down and write one myself, if there's enough support from other BBEdit users to warrant doing so.

2. NCarter

NCarter

The simplest solution is to make a 'codeless language module'. This is just an easily editable plist. For example, here are modules I made last year for C# and Shaderlab. To use them, unzip the archive and put the files in ~/Library/Application Support/BBEdit/Language Modules/.

Unfortunately, codeless language modules only have rudimentary highlighting support (at least for versions of BBEdit prior to 8.5, which is where I stopped updating). You can write your own non-codeless language modules in C to get a little bit more flexibility, but I didn't think it was worth the effort. I just switched to TextMate instead, which allows you to make very flexible language definitions by writing hairy regexes(!).

Anyway, hopefully the examples above might give you some idea of where to start. :)

3. andeeeee

andeeeee

The attached file is a codeless language module for BBEdit that colours Unity JavaScript. I imagine it won't be quite as good as the built-in JS mode (the built-in/coded modes can be pretty clever) but it does colour keywords, scan functions, etc.

Attached Files:

4. marty

marty

Heya, Andeeee!

BBEdit 10 just came out and looks kinda like a good Unitron-replacement.

Do you (or anyone out there) have an up-to-date version of this very nice and labriously-assembled Unity Javascript BBEdit codeless language module?

TIA!