Search Unity

Custom rigged character has part of mesh altering during animations

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Fox-Handler, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Fox-Handler

Fox-Handler

Hi, I wasn't sure if this was the right place to ask this, but I've been trying to rig up a model I downloaded in blender. It works alright except that the back of the character has these tubes that kind of float away from the character during animation. (it's a cyborg character). I've tried weight painting and I get no results. In fact, the mesh at his back seems to completely alter when he's in an animation. I was doing this in order to test out the mocap animations with a custom rig. Does anyone have an idea why part of a mesh might alter like that?

2. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Didn't get what you mean, are you saying that you can't animate the tubes in blender?
    Or you mean your animation is well in blender, but screwed after imported into unity?

3. Fox-Handler

Fox-Handler

The model looks fine after import, but once I start an animation part of the mesh (his back) looks kind of messed up, and the tubes that run from his back to his stomach sort of detach from the side. I'm not sure if I have to go back and recalculate the normals or what, but i've just been guessing by this point. The animations are just "raw mocap data animations" that are from the assets store.

4. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

You could have a check:
    1. make some animation in blender to check if the tube is skinned to proper bone, if it's skinned to multiple bones, might cause trouble.
    2. check your humanoid rig configuration, see if there're some bones not configured properly.

5. Fox-Handler

Fox-Handler

Alright i'm pretty sure it had to do with the bones in the chest interfering with the shoulder bones that start at the arm. For some reason though the weight painting won't work on a lot of the armor which I think has something to do with the way the different body parts are put together. Not very user friendly since the character is broken into different pieces that you have to combine.

6. Fox-Handler

Fox-Handler

Ok fixed some of the problem by seperating some vertex groups from the main group by separating selection with p, and then weight painting them, but it doesn't always work.

7. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Anyway, it's better to make some animations and ensure the skin is solid good in blender first, then apply the muscle clips in unity.

8. Fox-Handler

Fox-Handler

Yea the skin is good. I'll look into the muscle clips. I haven't used them before.

9. Fox-Handler

Fox-Handler

Alright I just tried the muscle clip system, and i'm actually pretty surprised at how powerful it is. In this case I applied it to the character's arm so he could wave and the shoulder doesn't dip down. So far pretty impressed..