Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions by the end of July. Read our announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Question Custom post-processing effect: Multi-pass blur possible?

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by dgoyette, Aug 13, 2020.

1. dgoyette

dgoyette

I was trying to create a full-screen blur effect, to blur the screen behind my menus when pausing the game. I thought that with the introduction of custom post-processing this would be simple, but it seems that most gaussian blur filters I see take two passes, one for horizontal and one for vertical. I think they can also be accomplished in one pass, but my understanding is that the performance is pretty bad for a single-pass blur?

Anyway, I tried adding two passes to a custom post-processing shader, but it seems only the first pass is executed. Are multiple passes not supported? Or is there a trick to getting it to work?

I suppose as a fall-back plan, I could add the effect to my volume twice, and have each one process either horizontal or vertical, but that sounds a little silly.

Or, is there a better way to achieve a full-screen blur effect these days under HDRP 7?

2. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

3. dgoyette

dgoyette

Thanks. I check it out.