Search Unity

Custom Playable Track UI

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by james7132, Aug 9, 2017.

1. james7132

james7132

Right now I see TrackColorAttribute as a way to alter small parts of how clips are displayed in tracks on Timeline. Is it possible to have color dynamically changed based on values for the provided clip? Even better, is there a way to inject custom GUI code for clips/tracks? Similar to that of a CustomPropertyDrawer or CustomEditor?

2. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

No, it's not possible right now but it's something we are looking at for future versions.

3. WikkidEdd1

WikkidEdd1

I was looking in to this just now. Internally there is some attributes and classes for making custom drawers for tracks and track inspectors, but unfortunately they are all private.

It is possible to make them public by modifying the assembly here "C:\Program Files\Unity 2017.1\Editor\Data\UnityExtensions\Unity\Timeline\Editor\UnityEditor.Timeline.dll" using ILSpy and Reflexil and make the appropriate classes public. I've just done this for testing purposed to see what would be doable if/when they become available.

The relevant classes are:
    CustomTrackDrawer
    TrackDrawer
    TrackAssetInspector

You can look at ActivationTrackInspector in the assembly as an example of how to use them.

4. WikkidEdd1

WikkidEdd1

Just a follow up to this. I'm working on a solution to the lack of event track. I've figured out a way of creating a single timeline track which can house lots of different clip types. The nice thing about that is you don't end up with loads of track types in the add track menu. Plus you only need to write the clip and behaviour part of a playable so that brings it from 4 files per playable to 2 which is good.

On top of that I've created a custom event track UI. It's not the pretiest yet, but just wanted to test out my idea.

upload_2017-8-11_17-56-49.png

5. andybak

andybak

Hi. I've just hit this problem. I want an extra input on my custom track. Can you share how you managed to customize the UI?