Search Unity

[custom physics] introducing a new collider to Unity-Physics?

Discussion in 'DOTS Physics' started by Mr-Mechanical, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Mr-Mechanical

Mr-Mechanical

I need a new make a custom collider for my upcoming physics engine, there is no way around it for the behaviour of my physics engine. Also obviously I'd also need to have control over the AABB computation for these custom colliders aswell.

Thanks, input is going to be critical.

2. CookieSalad

CookieSalad

Unity Technologies

Hey!

Could you please outline what kind of features your collider is going to need to make your use case work? Currently it's not very clear what your ideal end result should look/behave like.

Mr-Mechanical likes this.
  3. Mr-Mechanical

Mr-Mechanical

Sure. Thank you for your interest. I'm trying to use Unity Physics for collision detection for my system. The only major consideration is that the convex hulls have to change every frame. I thought earlier that it would make sense to create my own simplified narrowphase system with a special collider however I realize now that this makes little sense. Now, instead of making my own custom collider. I am now attempting to understand how to update a convex collider performantly every frame (changing vertices).

TL;DR
    I'm was trying to make a custom collider so that it's hull can be updated every frame very performantly. I realize now that this is probably possible with the existing system given that the convex hulls updating process is probably performant enough.

unityunity