Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Custom package versioning

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by Lobolopez, May 31, 2019.

1. Lobolopez

Lobolopez

Hi there!
    Is it possible to choose versions for custom packages (something I'd develop in e.g. GitHub) through the package manager?
    I've done a couple of tests (adding tags, making sure they match the chanelog and the like) but I don't get any kind of UI (as the drop downs you'd get in most of Unity's packages: install/version) in the package manager.

After adding the package name+repo in the manifest.json file and saving it I get a "lock" section with that name and a hash. It would be Good™ to not have the user editing the hash in the lock to change between versions :)
    ....a tag name at least :)

2. ethan_jl_unity

ethan_jl_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi there,

In 2019.3 there's a simple UI to add package from git but not choosing versions between git packages.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll relay your feedback to our team and product manager.

Best,
    Ethan

3. Lobolopez

Lobolopez

Thanks Ethan,
    It would definitely be a good thing in the long term. Though it feels like there's more needed in the mix. Ideally you'd want to have a Git project (or a Collab on) where you develop the feature, and have a part of that (the package) exported to a Git repo (so it can be linked by the package system). The main issue (with Collab) is that the Git data won't be saved in Collab (AFAIK) so that anybody else developing the feature will have to have Git and Collab synced, with care, by hand. The main issue with Git is that you'll have to make it work with submodules (as packages link to to be on the main repo dir -which then can't be the project-) It would be very good if the packages could be link to a subdir in the Git repo, so that:
    gitland.com/me/myrepo.git/ (contains the unity project)
    gitland.com/me/myrepo.git/packages (contains the package being developed, which is what other unity projects are interested in)