Search Unity

Custom package dependencies

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by christoph_r, Jun 28, 2019.

1. christoph_r

christoph_r

Hi,

this topic has popped up in a few places, but I couldn't find a central/definite answer, so I thought I'd open a thread. A common use-case of package managers is to manage custom packages. This should also include dependency handling - keeping track of and moving dependency packages manually is a major headache. This includes having custom packages as a dependency for other custom packages. The last info I can find is that there's internal discussions on whether that should even be a thing.
    Have I missed something or is there currently no way to do that with UPM? I still feel like this is such a common scenario that I must miss a straightforward way of doing it.
    Dependencies don't seem to be supported neither as local packages ('file:...') nor as git packages. Having all packages 'embedded' defeats the point: That would also require manual moving when dealing with multiple projects - or writing custom batch/symlink voodoo in addition to UPM. The only option I'm not sure about is scoped registries (hosted locally?) - could that work?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  2. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

christoph_r likes this.
  3. christoph_r

christoph_r

Hi @okcompute_unity / Pascal,
    thanks for the reply! Glad to hear that is being worked on - and I hope I didn't sound too harsh in the first post. Do you have any rough ETA for that?

4. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

You did not sound harsh at all :) As for the ETA, 2019.3 feature is locked and we are moving on to 2020.x development. So this will (hopefully) be available in 2020.x release cycle.

Regards,

Pascal

christoph_r likes this.