Search Unity

Custom Material for the Terrain? Still fundamentally limited

Discussion in 'World Building' started by SGFX, Dec 13, 2018.

1. SGFX

SGFX

Hey,
    Good job on the terrain improvements so far

but right now the terrain material is still extremely simple
    and would not suffice for a higher scoped project. Apparently its now possible to use custom materials, which is great, but without being a shader programmer, Im unlikely to be able to make anything out of that.

Right now it is basically unusable for anything serious. On SDRP you can make due with assets, but on HDRP there is nothing you can do unless you have a shader programmer in the team.

Right now I think I am still forced to not use the terrain tools and make a own shader to do simple things such as varied curvature based blending, global height, snow, color variation, even simple height blending is not possible etc, and im definitely not a power shader user trying to do a Tom Clancys Wildlands or such. There is no middle ground between absolute beginner "My first terrain painting" and hardcore shader programmer.

Could you at least make it possible to use a normal SG material on the terrain, so one could at least use the brush functionality and the rest without having to import a custom model? Maybe provide a preset in the right format?

I think this needs a fundamentally different approach
    Would it not be much better if you provided the DefaultHDTerrainMaterial in shader graph form so people can edit it? (I assume thats not compatible) Or choose an entirely different format that does not have all those limits, like in unreal where they blend different custom materials together?

Im not sure what to do now. I wanted to go to HDRP and do everything with shader graph, but now im hard locked out of the terrain tools as there exist no alternative to the default shader, so I basically have to give that up entirely.