Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Question Custom LookAt Function Help

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by wbourassabennett, Jan 13, 2024.

1. wbourassabennett

wbourassabennett

Hello!

I'm trying to get a quaternion (or Euler, whichever is easiest / most performant) from 2 points in space, where the right component(red gizmo arrow) of the rotation is the direction of one point towards another with the forward component (blue gizmo arrow) facing upwards: where the up component (green gizmo arrow) is perpendicular to a flat plane. Essentially the result of a transform.LookAt() function where forward is right and up is forward.

I'm using ECS (float3, lower-case quaternion), so I can't use external functions. I've included an image to hopefully make a little more clear what I'm trying to achieve.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. spiney199

spiney199

Ryiah likes this.
  3. Ryiah

Ryiah

4. wbourassabennett

wbourassabennett

The problem with LookRotation, is the forward vector is always the "z" component (the blue gizmo arrow on the object points towards the target), while what I am trying to achieve is have the "x" component (red gizmo arrow) point towards the target. Changing the world up parameter doesn't change this.

5. spiney199

spiney199

Then you just need to apply an additional rotation to the object after you've got your look rotation.

Ryiah likes this.