Search Unity

Custom Locomotion Method

Discussion in 'EditorXR' started by yahodahan, Dec 30, 2016.

1. yahodahan

yahodahan

This was an accidental discovery that would work VERY well for movement, with some tweaks/testing.

I was in Quill, made an item, then grabbed it and rotated/scaled/moved it around with the "grabber" trigger on Oculus- just like picking up a cup and looking at it from all sides. Super easy/intuitive.

Later, I realized I had actually rotated/moved the ENTIRE world- or, you might say, rotated/moved MYSELF around the object. However, with just that one object visible, there was of course zero nausea/etc.

So here's an idea for really great movement in VR:
    1. Aim ray so that it hits a surface
    2. Grip the Grabber trigger
    3. Everything except the object hit by the ray disappears, including skybox, pure white only
    4. Rotate hand = rotate yourself around the ray hit point, global Y only (it appears the object is rotating, not you!)
    5. Move hand = move yourself (again, appears object is moving)
    6. Release Grabber trigger - full world re-appears, you have now moved yourself perfectly, with zero nausea!
    This ought to be a great way to quickly zoom/move around an object, to see all sides/etc, as you would with a mouse, with zero barfy movement.

It sounds strange, sure, but give it a try in Quill if you have that available- works incredibly well.

Unity: would you consider implementing something like this, or should I expect to do this myself?

2. amirebrahimi_unity

amirebrahimi_unity

Please see this post for feature requests.

As far as locomotion systems, we have designed EditorVR, so that different locomotion systems can be swapped out. For now, we ship with Blink, but there isn't any reason why multiple locomotion methods wouldn't be included. I can't answer your question directly about whether we would be implementing your suggestion because it depends on our current priorities.

In the meantime, if you want to experiment -- I'd suggest implementing a tool w/ IExclusiveMode to turn off the current blink locomotion and then you're free to go to town. We'd be happy to try out what you've done.

3. yahodahan

yahodahan

Perfect, thanks!