Search Unity

custom loading bar

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by cbodapati, Feb 14, 2010.

1. cbodapati

cbodapati

Hi,

I would like to know if I can show a custom loading bar while the level is loading.

Im using unity IPhone Pro.

thanks,
    Srikanth.

2. User340

User340

3. PancakeCircus

PancakeCircus

bummer eh?

i ended up just adding a simple scene with the words "Loading" and "Wait you impatient bastard" on it that is loaded before the gameplay scene so at least it doesn't look like the game crashed. That's my simple minded solution.

4. cbodapati

cbodapati

hmmmmmmm I hope it gets better soon.

5. mudloop

mudloop

I read somewhere that Unity Wii supports this, and that they plan to port it over to Unity iPhone - but I'm not entirely sure.

6. SavaB

SavaB

I suppose it's possible through scripting, by using different threads. If one thread changes a value, and the other one changes the width of the mask of a bar by that value, i think it might be possible.

7. mudloop

mudloop

Nope, because loading is done in the time of one frame.

What you could do is split up the scene you want to load in multiple scenes, and load them additively, and each time one gets loaded, it updates the bar, and it loads the next part. It would involve a lot of work though, and the loading bar still wouldn't be very smooth. And I suppose loading times will increase as well.

8. SavaB

SavaB

i thought it was possible to get the byte array of an object/file/whatever. So it also must be possible to loop through the bytes while loading, and adjust your loading bar by the bytearray.length/bytearray-position

9. mudloop

mudloop

Okay, that might work, presuming you can create all your objects from files. It will work for textures, etc, but some other stuff might be trickier (prefabs, for instance). I'm not sure.

10. minevr

minevr

A scene to Null scene to B scene... :D

but...is dead~~