Search Unity

Custom Lighting Model in a Shader & Screen Space Reflections

Discussion in 'Image Effects' started by HTusa, Aug 25, 2017.

1. HTusa

HTusa

Hi! Wasn't sure if this would be better posted in the shaders section or here in the Image Effects.

I'm not an expert shader writer, but I've been working on a custom anime-like toon shader. Going with a Custom Lighting Model works better for what I'm looking for as it allows me to stack multiple lights, but for some reason, Screen Space Reflections (from v1 Post-processing stack) stop working. And if I'm going with a Standard Lighting Model, SSR works, but I only get the light from the Directional Light.

Here's what I mean (the mesh is the free Unity-chan asset, and the scene is the free Unity Courtyard):

animeshader_ssrproblem.jpg

Note: the green light isn't coming from an emissive surface, but from a simple point light.

Any idea if I'm doing something wrong, or where the problem might be?

Thanks.

2. HTusa

HTusa

Okay, I think I've traced the problem to the fact that I'm rendering the character as a Forward pass (since I need the light vector data). I presume Unity's Screen Space Reflections don't like forward shaders at all?

3. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Unity's SSRR uses the deferred G-Buffers to work, so yeah, they don't like forward shaders.