Search Unity

Custom inspector - damage formula

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by henmachuca, Mar 5, 2018.

1. henmachuca

henmachuca

Hello,

Im creating a project in unity but as I prototype the abilities I ran into the issue that I would like to calculate the damage of a certain ability using dice notations and other parameters like the player stats for example.
    As of now I have to do it in code, but I would like to set this kind of thing in the inspector.
    Can I get some suggestions or references of how should I approach this?

Thank you.

2. dgoyette

dgoyette

I'm not sure all the functionality you'd want to include here, but here's an example of how you might approach this. There are two files: A ScritableObject, and a custom Inspector for it. After you add the classes, the "Create" menu in Unity will contain a menu for "MyGame -> PlayerStats". (The Create menu is either in the Project window, or you can find it by right-clicking in a project directory). This will create a PlayerStats asset you can pass into other scripts.

The PlayerStats script is simple:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    3. [CreateAssetMenu(menuName = "MyGame/Player Stats")]
    4. public class PlayerStats : ScriptableObject
    5. {
    6.     [Range(3, 25)]
    7.     public int Strength;
    8.     [Range(3, 25)]
    9.     public int Stamina;
    10.     [Range(3, 25)]
    11.     public int Intelligence;
    12. }
    The PlayerStatsEditor is a little messier, but it does kind of what you seem to want to do. There's a button to randomize the stats. This "rolls" N-sided dice M times, and assigns the values back to the PlayerStats object.

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEditor;
    2. using UnityEngine;
    4. [CustomEditor(typeof(PlayerStats), true)]
    5. public class PlayerStatsEditor : UnityEditor.Editor
    6. {
    7.     private int numberOfDice;
    8.     private int numberOfSides;
    9.     public override void OnInspectorGUI()
    10.     {
    11.         DrawDefaultInspector();
    13.         Rect position = GUILayoutUtility.GetLastRect();
    14.         position = new Rect(position.x, position.y + 30, position.width, position.height);
    15.         numberOfDice = EditorGUI.IntSlider(position, new GUIContent("Number of Dice"), numberOfDice, 1, 5);
    17.         position = new Rect(position.x, position.y + 30, position.width, position.height);
    18.         var sideLabels = new GUIContent[] { new GUIContent("4"), new GUIContent("6"), new GUIContent("8"), new GUIContent("10"), new GUIContent("12") };
    19.         var sideOptions = new int[] { 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 };
    20.         numberOfSides = EditorGUI.IntPopup(position, new GUIContent("Number of Sides"), numberOfSides, sideLabels, sideOptions);
    22.         GUILayout.Space(80);
    24.         if (GUILayout.Button("Randomize Stats"))
    25.         {
    28.             ((PlayerStats)serializedObject.targetObject).Strength = RandomStat(numberOfDice, numberOfSides);
    29.             ((PlayerStats)serializedObject.targetObject).Stamina = RandomStat(numberOfDice, numberOfSides);
    30.             ((PlayerStats)serializedObject.targetObject).Intelligence = RandomStat(numberOfDice, numberOfSides);
    32.             EditorUtility.SetDirty(((PlayerStats)serializedObject.targetObject));
    33.         }
    36.     }
    38.     private int RandomStat(int numberOfDice, int dieSides)
    39.     {
    40.         Debug.Log(string.Format("Rolling {0} {1}-sided dice", numberOfDice, dieSides));
    41.         int sum = 0;
    42.         for (var i = 0; i < numberOfDice; i++)
    43.         {
    44.             sum += UnityEngine.Random.Range(0, dieSides);
    45.         }
    46.         return sum;
    47.     }
    48. }

Maybe that's a place to start. You could make the Editor more complex, assigning buttons for each stat individually.

3. henmachuca

henmachuca

Thank you @dgoyette, but in the case you mentioned the damage is calculated totally randomized.
    What if I wanted for example to have the player spell damage to be calculated by:

((1d10+15+self.int/10)*self.firePower/target.resistance_fire)

Any ideas on how to implement something like it?

4. eisenpony

eisenpony

What you're asking for requires interpretation. You can create a custom language and parse it with your own implementation of an interpreter, or you might be able to use a LUA script parser.

For LUA, there are plenty of examples online and I believe the asset store has at least one free one.

Either way, the field in the editor needs to be a string. Then you feed that string into an interpreter to create code which can calculate the given formula.