Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Custom hosting for Matchmaker and its price

Discussion in 'Matchmaker' started by braty-xd, Aug 9, 2023.

1. braty-xd

braty-xd

When I check it on dashboard, it says I can create matchmaker for custom engine (did not test it tho)
    My question is does it work for custom hosting solutions for now via api, and if it is what is the pricing for that. Since Multiplay and matchmaker are integrated together I thought their price are calculated together, but if I were to use only matchmaker (if it works like this) does this mean it is free or what is the pricing for it ?

2. mathieu_mm_unity

mathieu_mm_unity

Unity Technologies

Hello braty.

We currently only support Multiplay hosting which can host custom engine builds. If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Thanks,
    Mathieu

3. gladys_khk

gladys_khk

Unity Technologies

Hey braty, this is Gladys, product manager of Matchmaker.
    To build on Mathieu's point, we are currently exploring third-party hosting support for Matchmaker.
    If you are interested in this feature, would you mind spending 3 mins on this survey? Thank you!
    https://forms.gle/zRAvsWxNyAaEGVPT6

mathieu_mm_unity likes this.
  4. braty-xd

braty-xd

Thanks for your answers! To summarize,

Hosting my solution gives me more control over it, so using it instead of Multiplay would be ideal but implementing a match maker can be challenging so I would love to use this feature of UGS separately. In general there are some really nice feature in UGS, but some are not. So instead of using it as a whole I would use the parts I like. To give an example, Authentication, remote config and a/b testing is really nice and free, but for analytics you guys just have unreasonable pricing. Simply not understandable and not acceptable. So I would never use it. Multiplay seems nice with matchmaker but it appears it still does not support custom engine (it still says very soon when I try to select it). I don't want to run unity for each game session since it wont scale well performance wise and game logic does not need the whole engine in the server neither. As given, matchmaker is also one of the nice solutions. But will there be a pricing for it if it is a separate solution? This should be answered as well. Since the reason I don't like some of the UGS solutions is not they are not competent, but they have significant pricing and despite those prices they also have some monthly limitations ( like analytics and leaderboards) so I would really like it and use it if Matchmaker were to support custom hosting solutions but a reasonable and not limiting pricing is also important.

gladys_khk likes this.
  5. gladys_khk

gladys_khk

Unity Technologies

Hi braty, thanks for sharing your feedback! We want to provide the flexibility for users to pick and choose the UGS components your games need. This inspired us to explore Matchmaker's third-party hosting support.

We don't have much to share about pricing yet, but the pricing model of the standalone matchmaker will include a free tier/ trial period for your testing needs. We are also working hard to make sure our pricing is reasonable, so that the standalone matchmaker will be accessible to most, if not all game developers :)